Current:Home > reviewsKim Kardashian Defends Lyle Menendez and Erik Menendez From "Monsters" Label, Calls for Prison Release -VisionFunds
Kim Kardashian Defends Lyle Menendez and Erik Menendez From "Monsters" Label, Calls for Prison Release
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-05 22:30:05
Kim Kardashian is speaking out in support of Lyle Menendez and Erik Menendez.
Amid renewed interest in the brothers’ 1989 killings of their parents, José Menendez and Kitty Menendez—which is chronicled in Ryan Murphy’s Monsters: The Erik and Lyle Menendez Story—the reality star explained why she feels the brothers’ life sentences should be “reconsidered.”
“I have spent time with Lyle and Erik; they are not monsters,” she declared in an NBC News op-ed published Oct. 3. “They are kind, intelligent, and honest men.”
The SKIMS founder—who met with the brothers at their San Diego prison Sept. 21 alongside Monsters star Cooper Koch—also highlighted Lyle and Erik’s “exemplary” records in prison, adding that at least two dozen of their family members have called for their release.
“When I visited the prison three weeks ago,” Kim wrote, “one of the wardens told me he would feel comfortable having them as neighbors.”
While the Kardashians star called for a reevaluation of the brothers’ case—in which they were found guilty of first degree murder following two jury trials—she did not absolve them of their misdeeds.
“The killings are not excusable. I want to make that clear,” the 43-year-old added. “Nor is their behavior before, during or after the crime. But we should not deny who they are today in their 50s.”
Kim also explained that Erik and Lyle have made allegations that they had been “sexually, physically and emotionally abused for years by their parents,” so she believes they did “what they thought at the time was their only way out” in killing the couple.
“I don’t believe that spending their entire natural lives incarcerated was the right punishment for this complex case,” she continued. “Had this crime been committed and trialed today, I believe the outcome would have been dramatically different.”
The essay came on the same day as Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón announced that prosecutors are reviewing the case to determine if the brothers should be resentenced. Gascón’s office is also reviewing potential new evidence which could support the brothers’ allegation that they were physically and sexually abused by their father.
While Kim has expressed her wish for the brothers to get a second chance, Monsters creator Ryan Murphy was more critical after Erik slammed the series.
“The thing that the Menendez brothers and their people neglect is that we were telling a story that was a very broad canvas,” he told The Hollywood Reporter in a piece published Oct. 1. “We had an obligation to so many people, not just to Erik and Lyle. But that's what I find so fascinating; that they're playing the victim card right now—'poor, pitiful us'—which I find reprehensible and disgusting.”
However, actor Cooper Koch—who played Erik Menendez in the hit Netflix drama—called the brothers “such upstanding individuals” after spending time with them.
“They committed the crime when they were 18 and 21 years old, and at the time, it was really hard for people to believe that male-on-male sexual abuse could occur, especially with father and son,” he told Variety in September. “But now, after 35 years, we have so much more evidence of child sexual abuse and male-on-male sexual abuse that I think they do deserve to be retried.”
E! News has reached out to the Menendezes’ lawyers for comment but hasn’t heard back.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (845)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- A Taiwan golf ball maker fined after a fatal fire for storing 30 times limit for hazardous material
- WEOWNCOIN︱Exploring the Rise of Digital Gold in Cryptocurrency Assets
- Toddler and 2 adults fatally shot in Florida during argument over dog sale, authorities say
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Historians race against time — and invasive species — to study Great Lakes shipwrecks
- Ohio State's Ryan Day calls out Lou Holtz in passionate interview after win vs. Notre Dame
- Nightengale's Notebook: 'It's scary' how much Astros see themselves in young Orioles
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- 2 adults, 3-year-old child killed in shooting over apparent sale of a dog in Florida
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Toymaker Lego will stick to its quest to find sustainable materials despite failed recycle attempt
- QB Joe Burrow’s status unclear as Rams and Bengals meet for first time since Super Bowl 56
- Steelers vs. Raiders Sunday Night Football highlights: Defense fuels Pittsburgh's win
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- WEOWNCOIN: The Decentralized Financial Revolution of Cryptocurrency
- College football Week 4 highlights: Ohio State stuns Notre Dame, Top 25 scores, best plays
- Wait, who dies in 'Expendables 4'? That explosive ending explained. (Spoilers!)
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Historians race against time — and invasive species — to study Great Lakes shipwrecks
After lots of interest in USWNT job, US Soccer zeroing in on short list for new coach
A trial opens in France over the killing of a police couple in the name of the Islamic State group
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
After lots of interest in USWNT job, US Soccer zeroing in on short list for new coach
Toddler and 2 adults fatally shot in Florida during argument over dog sale, authorities say
Surprise! Bob Dylan shocks Farm Aid crowd, plays three songs with the Heartbreakers