Current:Home > NewsHe moved into his daughter’s dorm and acted like a cult leader. Abused students now suing college -VisionFunds
He moved into his daughter’s dorm and acted like a cult leader. Abused students now suing college
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 00:47:03
NEW YORK (AP) — Two former students are suing Sarah Lawrence College, arguing the New York school failed to protect them from Lawrence Ray, who moved into his daughter’s dorm after getting out of prison and then manipulated her friends and roommates into cult-like relationships.
Ray was convicted last year of charges including racketeering, conspiracy, forced labor and sex trafficking after weeks of testimony chronicling his manipulative relationship with young people in his daughter’s circle.
Some said they were coerced into prostitution or turned over earnings and savings to Ray over abusive relationships that lasted for years.
Ray was sentenced in January to 60 years in prison by a judge who called him an “evil genius” who used sadism and psychological torture to control his victims.
The plaintiffs, who also include the sister of one of the students, allege in a lawsuit filed late last month that Sarah Lawrence was partly to blame for their ordeal.
The lawsuit says Ray made little attempt to hide the fact that he had moved in with his daughter in 2010 after finishing a prison sentence for securities fraud, and was allowed to remain on the campus “while he committed acts of manipulation, grooming, sexual abuse, food deprivation and sleep deprivation.”
They say college officials ignored the presence of a then-50-year-old man who moved into his daughter’s dormitory and “immediately integrated himself into the lives of the young people who lived in it.”
A college spokesperson said in a statement Thursday that the school had “deep sympathy” for Ray’s victims, but that it wouldn’t comment on the litigation “beyond noting that we believe the facts will tell a different story than the unproven allegations made in the complaint that has been filed.”
Ray lived in the dorm for nearly an entire academic year, the lawsuit says, and during that time several students, community members and parents contacted the college to complain about Ray’s abusive behavior, yet the college “did nothing to investigate or intervene to prevent harm to Plaintiffs.”
The plaintiffs say Ray made himself so thoroughly at home that he once set off a fire alarm by cooking a meal.
Ray was the only person in the dorm room when firefighters and college security arrived, the lawsuit says, and no one from the college asked Ray what he was doing there. Nor was he monitored after the fire “to ensure he was not residing at the dormitory with the college students,” according to the lawsuit.
The plaintiffs in the Nov. 21 civil lawsuit say they were abused and manipulated by Ray for years after leaving college in locations including a Manhattan condominium and a home in Piscataway, New Jersey.
The plaintiffs are seeking unspecified damages for their pain and suffering as well as health care costs and lost potential income.
veryGood! (17212)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Alabama court says state can execute inmate with nitrogen gas
- Indiana high court finds state residents entitled to jury trial in government confiscation cases
- Inspiration or impersonation? 'Booty Patrol' truck is too close to CBP, cops say. Florida scoffs.
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Bracy, Hatcher first Democrats to announce bids for revamped congressional district in Alabama
- Uruguay’s foreign minister resigns following leak of audios related to a passport scandal
- 1 man dead in Kentucky building collapse that trapped 2, governor says
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Teachers kick off strike in Portland, Oregon, over class sizes, pay and resources
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- In a setback for the wind industry, 2 large offshore projects are canceled in N.J.
- Brooke Shields Reveals How Bradley Cooper Came to Her Rescue After She Had a Seizure
- Buybuy Baby is back: Retailer to reopen 11 stores after Bed, Bath & Beyond bankruptcy
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Southern Charm's Olivia Flowers Reveals Brother Conner's Cause of Death
- Louisiana was open to Cancer Alley concessions. Then EPA dropped its investigation
- State is paying fired Tennessee vaccine chief $150K in lawsuit settlement
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Attorney says van der Sloot’s confession about Natalee Holloway’s murder was ‘chilling’
Oprah's Favorite Things 2023: 25 Chic & Useful Gifts Under $50 For Everyone On Your List
Extremists kill 37 villagers in latest attack in Nigeria’s hard-hit northeast
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Southern Charm's Olivia Flowers Reveals Brother Conner's Cause of Death
A woman is accused of poisoning boyfriend with antifreeze to get at over $30M inheritance
Cooking spray burn victim awarded $7.1 million in damages after can ‘exploded into a fireball’