Current:Home > MarketsMan shot to death at large Minneapolis homeless encampment that has been slated for closure -VisionFunds
Man shot to death at large Minneapolis homeless encampment that has been slated for closure
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:27:22
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A man was shot to death at a large Minnesota homeless encampment, days before it was scheduled to be removed.
The shooting was reported around 5:15 p.m. Tuesday at the encampment known as Camp Nenookaasi in Minneapolis. The 45-year-old victim suffered several gunshot wounds and was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. His name has not been released.
A man suspected in the shooting was arrested near the encampment and a gun was recovered, police spokesperson Aaron Rose said at a news briefing. A second man also was arrested but it wasn’t immediately clear why. No charges had been filed as of Wednesday morning.
After the shooting, police temporarily dispersed people from the encampment and brought in a Metro Transit bus to provide warmth and shelter on a night when the temperature was in the 20s. It wasn’t immediately clear if the residents have been allowed to return. A message left with police on Wednesday morning wasn’t immediately returned.
The encampment recently had around 180 people living there, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported. The city had planned to close it on Dec. 7 but reconsidered and allowed it to remain open until Dec. 19.
The encampment has both supporters and detractors. While some say that people living there have no place else to go, others worry about crime and dangerous living conditions. A fetus was found dead at the same encampment in October, and it was the site of another shooting in the past month.
Several supporters of the encampment appeared at a recent public hearing to oppose its closure. A majority of City Council members last week asked Mayor Jacob Frey to wait until February to shut it down. The Star Tribune reported that the delay until Dec. 19 was granted in part because 52 occupants were set to move into housing by Monday.
veryGood! (86)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- All of You Will Love These Photos of John Legend and Chrissy Teigen's First Vacation as a Family of 6
- What is ALS? Experts explain symptoms to look out for, causes and treatments
- 10 streaming movies that will keep your kids entertained during the August doldrums
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- 3-month-old baby dies after being left in hot car outside Houston medical center
- 3 fishermen plucked from Atlantic waters off Nantucket by Coast Guard helicopter crew
- NYPD Blue Child Star Austin Majors' Cause of Death Revealed
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Alex Cooper and Alix Earle Are Teaming Up for the Most Captivating Collab
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Richard Sherman to join Skip Bayless on 'Undisputed,' per report
- Which NFL teams will join playoff field in 2023? Ranking options from least to most likely
- Summon the Magic of the Grishaverse with this Ultimate Shadow and Bone Fan Gift Guide
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Hard-partying Puerto Rico capital faces new code that will limit alcohol sales
- Warlocks motorcycle club member convicted in death of associate whose body was left in crypt
- Mega Millions is up to $1.55B. No one is winning, so why do we keep playing the lottery?
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
American nurse and her young daughter freed, nearly two weeks after abduction in Haiti
Member of ‘Tennessee Three’ makes move toward 2024 Senate bid
Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Says Growing Her and Travis Barker's Son Is the Greatest Blessing
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Hip-hop and justice: Culture carries the spirit of protest, 50 years and counting
Chris Noth Admits He Strayed From His Wife While Denying Sexual Assault Allegations
Coup leaders close Niger airspace as deadline passes to reinstate leader