Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:North Carolina labor chief rejects infectious disease rule petitions for workplaces -VisionFunds
Johnathan Walker:North Carolina labor chief rejects infectious disease rule petitions for workplaces
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:12:21
RALEIGH,Johnathan Walker N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s elected labor commissioner has declined to adopt rules sought by worker and civil rights groups that would have set safety and masking directives in workplaces for future infectious disease outbreaks like with COVID-19.
Commissioner Josh Dobson, a Republican, announced Wednesday that his refusal came “after carefully reviewing the rulemaking petitions, the record, public comments, listening to both sides and considering the North Carolina Department of Labor’s statutory authority.”
His department held a public hearing in January over the proposed rules offered in December by groups such as the Episcopal Farmworker Ministry, North Carolina State AFL-CIO and state NAACP. Most of the people who spoke at the hearing opposed the proposed rules.
One rule petitioned for focused on controlling the spread of infectious diseases among migrant workers and their dependents, while the other covered workers more broadly in various fields, The News & Observer of Raleigh reported.
The rules would have applied to any airborne infectious disease designated as presenting a public health emergency by the governor, General Assembly or other state or federal agencies. Rules would have required some North Carolina employers to create a written exposure control plan. Some exposure controls include requiring employees to maintain physical distance — following public health agency recommendations — or to wear a face mask if that was not possible.
State AFL-CIO President MaryBe McMillan said her group is “deeply disappointed by the decision” and urged the department to reconsider, citing worker deaths during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We relied on farm workers, grocery clerks, nurses, letter carriers, and so many other essential workers to provide critical goods and services,” she said. “We cannot call workers ‘essential’ and continue to treat them as expendable.”
Dobson, in his first term, didn’t seek reelection this year. GOP nominee Luke Farley and Democratic nominee Braxton Winston will compete for the job in November.
Winston, a former Charlotte City Council member, spoke in support of the rules at January’s hearing. He said the federal government was not efficient and effective in carrying out its exposure control plans at the start of the pandemic and that the state Labor Department “must effectively quarterback should the need arise.”
Farley, who defeated three rivals in last week’s Republican primary, said Dobson’s rejection of the proposed rules “is a win for both our workers and our small businesses.”
“If you feel sick, don’t go to work. It’s that simple,” said Farley, a lawyer in construction law. “We don’t need a bunch of burdensome new regulations to address a commonsense problem.”
Several of the worker and civil rights groups had sought in late 2020 from the labor department a permanent set of COVID-19 workplace safety standards for workers. The department rejected that petition, but a Wake County judge ruled in 2021 that the agency was wrong to reject it without a formal evaluation, in line with department policy.
veryGood! (2324)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- This Tarte Mascara Is Like a Push-Up Bra for Your Lashes: Don't Miss a 2 for the Price of 1 Deal
- MrBeast's Chris Tyson Shares Selfie Celebrating Pride Month After Starting Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Biden’s Appointment of John Kerry as Climate Envoy Sends a ‘Signal to the World,’ Advocates Say
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Conservative businessman Tim Sheehy launches U.S. Senate bid for Jon Tester's seat
- Katharine McPhee's Smashing New Haircut Will Inspire Your Summer 'Do
- The Third Rail of Climate Change: Climate Refugees
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Vanderpump Rules Reunion Pt. 2 Has More Scandoval Bombshells & a Delivery for Scheana Shay
Ranking
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- What is watermelon snow? Phenomenon turns snow in Utah pink
- U.S. Renewable Energy Jobs Employ 800,000+ People and Rising: in Charts
- Kim Kardashian Teases Potential New Romance With Fred in Kardashians Teaser
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Supreme Court rejects independent state legislature theory in major election law case
- Senate investigation argues FBI, DHS officials downplayed or failed to properly share warnings of violence on Jan. 6
- Closing America’s Climate Gap Between Rich and Poor
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Indonesia Deporting 2 More Climate Activists, 2 Reporters
Senate 2020: In the Perdue-Ossoff Senate Runoff, Support for Fossil Fuels Is the Dividing Line
Trump’s ‘Energy Dominance’ Push Ignores Some Important Realities
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
How New York Is Building the Renewable Energy Grid of the Future
Conservative businessman Tim Sheehy launches U.S. Senate bid for Jon Tester's seat
Kim Kardashian Teases Potential New Romance With Fred in Kardashians Teaser