Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Boeing finds new problems with Starliner space capsule and delays first crewed launch -VisionFunds
Charles Langston:Boeing finds new problems with Starliner space capsule and delays first crewed launch
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 12:35:35
Boeing has indefinitely delayed next month's launch of its Starliner capsule — which would have Charles Langstoncarried the first humans — after engineers found several worrying problems.
These included the use of "hundreds of feet" of adhesive tape that's flammable and defects with the spacecraft's parachute system. Boeing made the announcement late Thursday at a hastily-called news conference with NASA officials.
It's the latest setback for Boeing which has been plagued by years of development delays and has yet to fly its first crewed Starliner mission.
After the space shuttle was retired in 2011, NASA needed a way to ferry people to and from the International Space Station. In 2014, NASA awarded Boeing more than $4 billion under its Commercial Crew program to build the capsule. At the same time, NASA also selected SpaceX to build and design a competing system which has already sent humans into space ten times (including seven missions for NASA).
Starliner has flown twice. The first mission, in 2019, failed to reach the I.S.S. after its on-board clock malfunctioned. The second test flight, in 2022, did dock with the I.S.S. and was deemed a success. Boeing had been working towards a July 21 launch to send two NASA astronauts to the I.S.S. This mission has been delayed several times and this latest setback is concerning.
Just weeks before the launch attempt, Boeing managers determined that adhesive tape used to wrap and protect hundreds of yards of wiring inside the capsule could be flammable under certain circumstances.
In addition, the lines connecting the capsule to its trio of parachutes were not as strong as Boeing believed. During landing, it's possible that some of the lines could have snapped - potentially endangering the crew. Starliner is designed to land with just two parachutes. But if one parachute failed - the others could have too.
For all of these reasons, Boeing vice president and Starliner program manager Mark Nappi told reporters the company was standing down, "Safety is always our top priority and that drives this decision." A future test flight date is unknown.
Nappi says they'll take the next several weeks to investigate the design issues and come up with potential solutions. For now, Boeing says it's fully committed to the program and has no plans to stop developing Starliner despite being years behind schedule.
veryGood! (22)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Before dying, she made a fund to cancel others' medical debt — nearly $70m worth
- Oscar Pistorius, ex-Olympic runner, granted parole more than 10 years after killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp
- Emily Hand, Israeli-Irish 9-year-old girl who was believed killed by Hamas, among hostages freed from Gaza
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Woman shocked with Taser while on ground is suing police officer and chief for not reporting it
- Roommates sue Maryland county over death of pet dog shot by police
- NBA investigating accusation against Thunder guard Josh Giddey of improper relationship with minor
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- FAQ: Annual climate negotiations are about to start. Do they matter?
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Blackhawks forward Corey Perry remains away from team 'for foreseeable future'
- 3 college students of Palestinian descent shot in Vermont in possible hate crime, authorities say
- Diplomas for sale: $465, no classes required. Inside one of Louisiana’s unapproved schools
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Tom Brady Shares Glimpse of Tropical Vacation With His and Gisele Bündchen's Kids
- Millions of U.S. apples were almost left to rot. Now, they'll go to hungry families
- Accused security chief for sons of El Chapo arrested in Mexico: A complete psychopath
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
12 tips and tricks to unlock the full potential of your iPhone
Paul Lynch, Irish author of 'Prophet Song,' awarded over $60K with 2023 Booker Prize
'Today, your son is my son': A doctor's words offer comfort before surgery
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Wilders ally overseeing first stage of Dutch coalition-building quits over fraud allegation
Is it better to take Social Security at 62 or 67? It depends.
Oscar Pistorius, ex-Olympic runner, granted parole more than 10 years after killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp