Current:Home > ContactJonathan Majors' ex-girlfriend arrested amid domestic violence case against the actor -VisionFunds
Jonathan Majors' ex-girlfriend arrested amid domestic violence case against the actor
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 12:23:41
An ex-girlfriend who accused actor Jonathan Majors of assaulting her in March was arrested in New York City Wednesday night, her attorney Ross Kramer confirmed to USA TODAY Thursday.
Grace Jabbari, who is British, was arrested on two misdemeanor charges, according to Kramer.
"We are disappointed that Ms. Jabbari had to face an arrest that the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office already determined was unwarranted," Kramer said in a statement. "The DA’s Office carefully reviewed all the facts of the case and concluded that Ms. Jabbari was the victim, and not the perpetrator. Before we walked into the police precinct, the DA’s Office made clear that they would not be charging Ms. Jabbari with any offense."
Her attorney added: "It is unfortunate and re-traumatizing when a survivor of intimate partner violence is forced to endure an arrest, but Ms. Jabbari is an extremely strong and resilient person who is determined to move forward."
The dancer and movement coach was charged with suspicion of misdemeanor assault and misdemeanor criminal mischief, according to The New York Times and The Hollywood Reporter.
She was released soon after on a desk appearance ticket, which is a notice to appear in court at a later date.
"The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office has officially declined to prosecute the case against Grace Jabbari because it lacks prosecutorial merit. The matter is now closed and sealed," the district attorney's office said in a statement to USA TODAY Thursday.
Jabbari's arrest comes more than three months after Majors filed a cross-complaint against her in June, leading the NYPD to open an investigation, and seven months after he was taken into custody following Jabbari's 911 call after an alleged domestic dispute.
The Manhattan district attorney's office has said it "would decline to prosecute Ms. Jabbari if she were arrested," according to an Oct. 13 document from the district attorney's office responding to Majors' motion to dismiss charges, which was obtained by USA TODAY Wednesday.
DA's office details alleged domestic dispute between Jonathan Majors, Grace Jabbari
According to a document from the district attorney office, obtained by USA TODAY Wednesday, Jabbari allegedly grabbed Majors' phone while they were in a car headed to their Manhattan home after seeing a message "that stated in substance: 'Wish I was kissing you right now.'"
From their alleged fight, Jabbari allegedly suffered injuries including a fractured finger, bruising, a laceration behind her ear and a bump on her head.
On March 25, a judge granted a limited order of protection, preventing Majors and the woman from assaulting or harassing each other and released Majors on his own recognizance.
Majors is currently facing five misdemeanor charges, including three for assault and two for harassment, against Jabbari. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges. Earlier on Wednesday, the Manhattan district attorney’s office declined Majors' motion to dismiss these charges against the "Creed III" and Marvel Cinematic Universe star.
His trial is set to begin Nov. 29.
Majors has denied the allegations against him. In August, his attorney, Priya Chaudhry, told USA TODAY in a statement that he is "the real victim in this shameful ordeal."
Latest on Jonathan Majors' case:Judge denies motion to dismiss charges
Contributing: Naledi Ushe, USA TODAY
veryGood! (58497)
Related
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Woody Harrelson wears hat supporting RFK Jr. for president: 'Great seeing you'
- 'I'm a Swiftie!' Kevin Costner 'blown away' at Taylor Swift concert with his daughter
- Lionel Messi scores, Inter Miami beats Charlotte in Leagues Cup quarterfinals
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- The failed Ohio amendment reflects Republican efforts nationally to restrict direct democracy
- Vanderpump Rules’ Scheana Shay Addresses Ozempic Rumors After Losing Weight
- Adam Sandler, family team up for 'You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah': Release date, cast, trailer
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Tennessee agents investigate the death of a man in Memphis police custody
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Michigan police detained a Black child who was in the ‘wrong place, wrong time,’ department says
- Court dismisses challenge to Biden’s restoration of Utah monuments shrunk by Trump
- Jordan Love efficient but deep ball needs work in Packers' preseason win vs. the Bengals
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- NFL preseason games Sunday: Times, TV, live stream, matchup analysis
- What 'The Red Zone' on college campuses teaches us about sexual assault
- 3 unaccounted for after house explosion that destroyed 3 homes, damaged at least 12 others
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Save 67% On Peter Thomas Roth Retinol and Maximize Your Beauty Sleep
Michigan WR Roman Wilson watches hometown burn in Hawaii wildfires: 'They need everything'
Searching for the missing on Maui, some wait in agony to make contact. And then the phone rings.
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
GBI investigating after 62-year-old man dies in Atlanta Police custody
Lionel Messi scores, Inter Miami beats Charlotte in Leagues Cup quarterfinals
Real Housewives Star Kyle Richards Shares the Must-Pack Travel Essentials for Your Next Trip