Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-With California’s deficit looming, schools brace for Gov. Gavin Newsom’s spending plan -VisionFunds
NovaQuant-With California’s deficit looming, schools brace for Gov. Gavin Newsom’s spending plan
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 16:14:48
SACRAMENTO,NovaQuant Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Wednesday will reveal his plan to cover a staggering budget deficit as the nation’s most populous state weathers a revenue downturn that could have major consequences for 5.8 million public school children.
Just two years ago, California had a budget surplus of more than $100 billion because of a surging stock market and a bounty of federal coronavirus aid. That came to an end last year as inflation slowed the economy down, resulting in a $32 billion deficit. This year, the deficit could be as large as $68 billion, according to the most recent estimate from the nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s Office.
Unlike the federal government, California law says the state must pass a balanced budget — meaning it can’t spend more money than it has. Newsom and lawmakers were able to avoid major spending cuts last year through a combination of making smaller cuts, borrowing and pushing some expenses to future years. But as the deficit continues to grow, Newsom and lawmakers could be forced to make tough choices to balance the budget.
Those decisions will be particularly fraught given this year’s election, when many lawmakers will ask voters to keep them in Sacramento. Every decision Newsom makes, meanwhile, will be viewed through the lens of his future political ambitions. The Democratic governor’s term goes through 2026, and he could run for president in 2028.
The deficit could mean bad news for the state’s public schools. Cuts to schools are hard to avoid during a downturn because a voter-approved law requires the state to spend about 40% of its budget on public education in most years. During the Great Recession, public schools weathered deep cuts, leading to layoffs and school closures that many districts are still recovering from.
The minimum amount California is required to spend on public schools has dropped by $16.7 billion over the past two years, according to the Legislative Analyst’s Office. That means lawmakers could cut public schools by that much to help balance the budget.
It’s also a particularly precarious moment for public schools. Billions of dollars of federal coronavirus aid will be expiring in September, and districts that have come to rely on that spending will have to find ways to replace that money in their budgets.
In Los Angeles, the nation’s second-largest school district has begun to wean itself off of pandemic funding. But its budget still relies on about $900 million — down from $1.8 billion last year — which helps pay for 1,800 full-time jobs, according to Alberto Carvalho, superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District.
Carvalho said cuts to schools “could be quite catastrophic,” noting that many of the state’s districts signed new contracts with labor unions in the last year that include pay raises reflecting inflation. California’s public school funding usually receives a cost-of-living adjustment each year. Last year, it amounted to an increase of more than 8%. This year, it could be less than 2%, according to the Legislative Analyst’s Office.
“That is significant,” he said.
But Carvalho and other school officials and education advocates say they are optimistic that lawmakers will avoid dramatic cuts for public schools this year. New Assembly Speaker Robert Rivas, who is presiding over his first budget negotiations, said last month he was committed to protecting classroom funding.
“With a $68 billion problem, there’s going to be some kind of cuts. It would be foolish to think otherwise,” said Kevin Gordon, a lobbyist who represents school districts. “I actually think they are going to do everything they can to find ways to protect school funding.”
Lawmakers now have resources they didn’t have during the Great Recession. In 2014, voters approved a special savings account for public schools. Newsom and lawmakers could cut schools’ budgets and use $7.7 billion from that savings account to replace that spending, according to the Legislative Analyst’s Office.
That would help avoid the most dramatic cuts. For more savings, lawmakers could cut one-time spending — money set aside in previous budgets that has not yet been spent.
Also, it’s possible California’s budget deficit could be much smaller than the $68 billion the Legislative Analyst’s Office estimated in early December. The stock market has rebounded some. Income tax withholdings — the amount of money employers take out of workers’ wages each month and send to the state — is up slightly from last year, but still slightly below previous estimates, according to the Legislative Analyst’s Office.
Still, it’s enough to give Democrats hope that things will be much more manageable by May — once Californians have filed their tax returns and state officials have a better idea of how much money they have.
“We know we’re going to have to make difficult choices,” said Assemblymember Jesse Gabriel, a Democrat from Los Angeles and chair of the Assembly Budget Committee. “We just don’t know how difficult they’re going to be yet.”
veryGood! (55543)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- 'It's going to die': California officer spends day off rescuing puppy trapped down well
- Alleged Kim Porter memoir pulled from Amazon after children slam book
- Two California dairy workers were infected with bird flu, latest human cases in US
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- NFL Week 5 picks straight up and against spread: Will Cowboys survive Steelers on Sunday night?
- The Hills Alum Jason Wahler and Wife Ashley Wahler Expecting Baby No. 3
- Hurricane Helene Raises Questions About Raising Animals in Increasingly Vulnerable Places
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Supreme Court to weigh a Texas death row case after halting execution
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Photo shows U.S. Rep. Mike Lawler wearing blackface at college Halloween party in 2006
- Nevada politician guilty of using $70,000 meant for statue of slain officer for personal costs
- Who killed Cody Johnson? Parents demand answers in shooting of teen on Texas highway
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- South Korea adoptees endure emotional, sometimes devastating searches for their birth families
- Toilet paper not expected to see direct impacts from port strike: 'People need to calm down'
- Reuters withdraws two articles on anti-doping agency after arranging Masters pass for source
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Subway rider shot in the head by police files claim accusing officers of recklessly opening fire
Tia Mowry Sets the Record Straight on Relationship With Sister Tamera Mowry
US nuclear weapon production sites violated environmental rules, federal judge decides
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
A massive strike at U.S. East and Gulf Coast ports has ended | The Excerpt
This couple’s divided on politics, but glued together by love
Travis and Jason Kelce’s Mom Donna Kelce Stood “Still” in Marriage to Ed Kelce Before Divorce