Current:Home > ScamsAssistant principal charged with felony child abuse in 6-year-old's shooting of teacher -VisionFunds
Assistant principal charged with felony child abuse in 6-year-old's shooting of teacher
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 12:30:33
The assistant principal of the Virginia school where a 6-year-old boy shot his first grade teacher has been charged with eight counts of felony child abuse and disregard for life, according to an indictment unsealed on Tuesday.
Ebony Parker, who worked for Richneck Elementary School on Jan. 6, 2023, when Abigail Zwerner was shot by her student, was indicted on March 11. But the charges were not unsealed until Tuesday, according to the Virginia courts website. Parker is not yet in custody.
Parker committed "a willful act or omission in the care of such students” that was “so gross, wanton, and culpable as to show a reckless disregard for human life," and should be held on $4,000 bond, according to a copy of the indictment obtained by the Virginian-Pilot.
The charges, all class 6 felonies, each carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison.
More:James and Jennifer Crumbley, parents of Michigan shooter, sentenced to 10 to 15 years in prison
Teacher's lawsuit claims Parker ignored warnings ahead of shooting
Zwerner filed a lawsuit in April of 2023 seeking $40 million in damages from school officials. In the lawsuit, Zwerner claimed Parker received multiple warnings of the boy's violent behavior, but failed to take action to prevent the shooting.
In a notice of claim sent to the Newport News School District by her attorney, Zwerner alleged she visited Parker's office hours before the shooting to report that the boy "seemed more ‘off’ than usual and was in a violent mood." She reported that he had already threatened to beat up another child and "angrily stared down a security officer."
“Assistant Principal Parker should have called police, instead she did not follow proper protocol and chose to do absolutely nothing,” the claim says.
Less than an hour later, another teacher told Parker that other students reported that the boy had a gun in his backpack, the claim alleges. Another teacher informed Parker of reports that the boy had the gun in his pocket, according to the claim.
"Assistant Principal Parker was made aware at the beginning of recess that Ms. Zwerner was afraid that the shooter had a gun in his pocket," Zwerner's attorney wrote. "And again nothing was done."
Zwerner was shot in the hands and chest, and was hospitalized for almost two weeks after the shooting. She resigned from her position at the school in June of 2023.
Parker resigned from her position after the shooting. John Mumford Jr., an attorney listed for her, did not immediately return a request for comment.
Cybele Mayes-Osterman is a breaking news reporter for USA Today. Reach her on email at [email protected]. Follow her on X @CybeleMO.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- The voice of Mario is stepping down: Charles Martinet moves to Nintendo ambassador role
- California shop owner killed over Pride flag was adamant she would never take it down, friend says
- Former police chief who once led Gilgo Beach probe charged with soliciting sex from undercover ranger at Long Island park
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Heidi Klum Sets the Record Straight on Her Calorie Intake
- Big 12 college football conference preview: Oklahoma, Texas ready to ride off into sunset
- Zendaya Slams Hurtful Rumors About Law Roach Fashion Show Drama
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- 18 burned bodies, possibly of migrants, found in northeastern Greece after major wildfire
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- American Airlines is suing Skiplagged, which helps customers book cheaper flights using a loophole
- 16 Affordable Fashion Finds Amazon Reviewers Say Are Perfect for Travel
- Fit for Tony Stark: Powerball winner’s California mansion once listed at $88 million
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Fit for Tony Stark: Powerball winner’s California mansion once listed at $88 million
- Ambulance dispatcher dies after being shot in parking lot over weekend; estranged husband in custody
- Wisconsin Democrats want to ban sham lawsuits as GOP senator continues fight against local news site
Recommendation
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
3-year-old girl is shot through wall by murder suspect firing at officers, police say
The voice of Mario is stepping down: Charles Martinet moves to Nintendo ambassador role
New Orleans priest publicly admits to sexually abusing minors
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Taylor Swift teases haunting re-recorded 'Look What You Made Me Do' in 'Wilderness' trailer
India joins an elite club as first to land a spacecraft near the moon's south pole
They fired on us like rain: Saudi border guards killed hundreds of Ethiopian migrants, Human Rights Watch says