Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty to new criminal charge in New York -VisionFunds
SignalHub-Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty to new criminal charge in New York
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 16:20:58
This story was updated to add new information.
Harvey Weinstein is SignalHubpleading not guilty to a new criminal charge.
The disgraced movie mogul, 72, was arraigned Wednesday in New York state court in Manhattan. Seated in a wheelchair and sporting a bandage on his right hand, Weinstein pleaded not guilty to a first-degree criminal sexual act against an accuser who has not been publicly identified.
The charge stems from Weinstein allegedly sexually assaulting a woman in a downtown Manhattan hotel between April 29 and May 6, 2006. The woman, only identified as Jane Doe, "has not shared this story publicly before, nor does she want to be identified at this time," her attorney, Lindsay M. Goldbrum, said in a statement Wednesday.
"She will be fully prepared to speak her truth at trial to hold Mr. Weinstein accountable before a jury of his peers," Goldbrum continued.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
The Miramax co-founder still faces two other criminal counts from an earlier indictment where he also pleaded not guilty, including another first-degree criminal sexual act charge and a third-degree rape charge.
Harvey Weinstein doesn't know 'who, where, or what' of 2006 allegation
In a statement shared with USA TODAY following Weinstein's arraignment, his representative Juda Engelmayer said, "We are prepared to go to trial and defend Harvey for the original remaining charges."
"Yet, we will vociferously and legally challenge any effort to defend this new charge until we fully understand it, can research and investigate the claim, and boldly defend Harvey against. We don't know who, where, or what. We were told it is from 2006," Engelmayer continued.
"It's an obvious attempt by the DA to somehow back door their parade of hosts of witnesses before the jury as the Appeals Court rebuked them for last time. Harvey pleaded not guilty, and has always maintained that stance. For the people with whom he knows he was with, he never forced anyone to be with him."
In April, a New York appeals court overturned his conviction, concluding the judge should not have allowed "irrelevant" testimony during his trial regarding allegations that weren't part of the case.
Engelmayer added, "We are disappointed that the Department (of) Corrections is fighting so hard against Harvey's medical care needs. We will continue advocating for him to be in a place where he can heal and get healthier."
Last week, the judge allowed Weinstein to remain in Bellevue Hospital’s prison ward rather than ordering his return to Rikers Island, per ABC and The Hollywood Reporter.
Harvey Weinstein was hospitalized a week before latest charge
Weinstein appeared in court more than a week after being rushed to the hospital for emergency heart surgery.
Prosecutors revealed last week that Weinstein had been indicted on more charges, though the indictment was under seal at the time, and the nature of the charges was not immediately clear. In a prior statement, Weinstein's representative Juda Engelmayer said he had not yet been served with the indictment, so "we have no idea what's in them, who they are about, or when any instances have occurred."
The "Shakespeare in Love" and "Pulp Fiction" producer's representatives previously said he was transported to Bellevue Hospital on Sept. 8 due to "several medical conditions" and underwent emergency heart surgery. On Sept. 12, Engelmayer said he was "resting in a hospital" after the surgery and "is connected to monitors and various IV tubes, as well as bags to relieve the fluids from his body."
In July, Weinstein's representatives said he tested positive for COVID-19 and contracted double pneumonia, and he was being treated for "diabetes, high blood pressure, spinal stenosis, fluid on his heart and lungs and various other conditions."
Harvey Weinsteinrushed from Rikers Island to hospital for emergency heart surgery
Why Harvey Weinstein's New York conviction was overturned
Weinstein was found guilty of criminal sexual act in the first degree and rape in the third degree in February 2020, a landmark moment for the #MeToo movement, and sentenced to 23 years in prison.
His conviction stemmed from the accusations brought by Miriam "Mimi" Haleyi and Jessica Mann. Mann alleged that Weinstein raped her in a hotel room in 2013, and Haleyi alleged he forcibly performed oral sex on her in 2006 at his apartment.
Harvey Weinstein'sconviction tossed in stunning reversal. What does it mean for #MeToo?
The written opinion that overturned Weinstein's conviction read: "Under our system of justice, the accused has a right to be held to account only for the crime charged and, thus, allegations of prior bad acts may not be admitted against them for the sole purpose of establishing" a tendency for criminal acts, the court's majority opinion states.
This decision did not affect Weinstein's 2022 rape conviction from a separate Los Angeles trial. He was sentenced to 16 years in prison in that case.
Weinstein has been awaiting retrial in New York, which is tentatively scheduled for November. He has consistently denied any allegations of nonconsensual sex.
Contributing: Jack Queen, Reuters; KiMi Robinson, Taijuan Moorman and Edward Segarra, USA TODAY
veryGood! (32657)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Elon Musk's X platform fueled far-right riots in Ireland, experts say
- DOJ: Former U.S. diplomat was a secret agent for the Cuban government for decades
- Watch this mom's excitement over a special delivery: her Army son back from overseas
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Bus crashes in western Thailand, killing 14 people and injuring more than 30 others
- NFL Week 13 winners, losers: Packers engineering stunning turnaround to season
- Detroit on track to record fewest homicides since 1966, officials say
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Court ‘justice stations’ open in New Mexico, Navajo Nation, allowing more remote appearances
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- The holidays are here. So is record credit card debt. How 6 Americans are coping.
- In ‘Wonka,’ Timothée Chalamet finds a world of pure imagination
- Stock market today: Asian shares slip ahead of key US economic reports
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Big city mosquitoes are a big problem — and now a big target
- The Excerpt podcast: Israel expands ground offensive in Gaza, impeachment probe update
- New North Carolina congressional districts challenged in federal court on racial bias claims
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
New North Carolina congressional districts challenged in federal court on racial bias claims
Trial to determine whether JetBlue can buy Spirit, further consolidating industry, comes to a head
'Standing on business': What the internet's latest slang term means and how to use it.
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Mexico halts deportations and migrant transfers citing lack of funds
Thousands protest Indigenous policies of New Zealand government as lawmakers are sworn in
Danish union to take action against Tesla in solidarity with Swedes demanding collective bargaining