Current:Home > MyKazakhstan mine fire death roll rises to 42 -VisionFunds
Kazakhstan mine fire death roll rises to 42
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 11:40:35
LONDON (AP) — The death toll from a fire at a coal mine in Kazakhstan rose to 42 on Sunday, with four people still missing, the press service of Kazakhstan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations said.
It added that rescue operations were being “hampered by the presence of destroyed mining equipment, as well as rubble in some places.”
The fire broke out on Saturday at the Kostenko mine, which is owned by Luxembourg-based steel giant ArcelorMittal and located in Kazakhstan’s Karaganda region.
ArcelorMittal said the blaze was believed to have been caused by a blast of methane gas, and that some 252 people were working at the mine at the time of the fire.
It is the latest in a string of workplace deaths at sites operated by ArcelorMittal Temirtau, the local unit of ArcelorMittal that operates the country’s largest steel plants and several coal and ore mines. In August, four miners were killed after a fire erupted at the same mine, while five people died following a methane leak at another site in November 2022.
Following the latest fire, Kazakhstan announced the nationalization of ArcelorMittal Temirtau.
Prime Minister Alikhan Smailov said in a statement on the Kazakh president’s website that the government had reached a preliminary agreement with the company’s shareholders and was now in the process of “formalizing” the nationalization.
Speculation around the company’s future had been growing since September, when Kazakhstan’s first deputy prime minister, Roman Sklyar, told journalists that the government had started talks with potential investors to buy out ArcelorMittal after becoming increasingly unhappy with its failure to meet investment obligations and repeated worker safety violations.
Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev declared Sunday a national day of mourning. The office of the country’s prosecutor-general said it was starting an investigation into potential safety violations in the coal mine.
In a statement, ArcelorMittal Temirtau said that work had been halted at all of its coal mining sites in Kazakhstan. It also conveyed “pain” at the lives lost and said its efforts “are now aimed at ensuring that affected employees receive comprehensive care and rehabilitation, as well as close cooperation with government authorities.”
veryGood! (3928)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Pink Concertgoer Names Baby in Singer’s Honor After Going Into Labor at Show
- 'No real warning': As Maui fire death toll rises to 55, questions surface over alerts. Live updates
- Standoff in Michigan ends with suspect dead and deputy US marshal injured
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- With hundreds lost in the migrant shipwreck near Greece, identifying the dead is painfully slow
- AP-Week in Pictures: Aug. 3 - Aug. 10, 2023
- Threat of scaffolding collapse shuts down part of downtown Orlando, Florida
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- North Carolina woman wins $4 million in new scratch-off lottery game
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Kyle Richards’ Husband Mauricio Umansky Reacts to Her Steamy New Morgan Wade Video
- Teen Social Media Star Lil Tay Confirms She's Alive And Not Dead After Hoax
- African leaders order the activation of standby force to respond to Niger coup
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Over $1 million raised for family of California 8-year-old struck, paralyzed by stray bullet
- Trumpetfish: The fish that conceal themselves to hunt
- Virgin Galactic launch live stream: Watch Galactic 02 mission with civilians on board
Recommendation
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Atlantic hurricane season is now predicted to be above-normal this year, NOAA says
North Carolina roller coaster reopens after a large crack launched a state investigation
In the twilight of the muscle car era, demand for the new 486-horsepower V-8 Ford Mustang is roaring
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Toyota recalls: Toyota Tundra, Hybrid pickups recalled for fuel leak, fire concerns
Don't call it 'vegan' and other tips from hospitals to get people to eat less meat
This week on Sunday Morning (August 13)