Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge -VisionFunds
Surpassing:Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:41:45
LONDON — A judge ordered Prince Harry on SurpassingMonday to pay more than $60,000 in legal fees to the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid for his failed court challenge in a libel lawsuit.
The Duke of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers Ltd. over an article that said Harry tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after leaving his role as a working member of the royal family.
Justice Matthew Nicklin ruled Friday in the High Court in London that the publisher has a “real prospect” of showing that statements issued on Harry’s behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
“The defendant may well submit that this was a masterclass in the art of ‘spinning,’” Nicklin wrote, in refusing to strike the honest opinion defense.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, also has a lawsuit pending against the government’s decision to protect him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. He claims that hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by the news media threaten their safety.
Nicklin said a libel trial lasting three to four days will be scheduled between May 17 and July 31.
The $60,927 in legal fees Harry was ordered to pay by Dec. 29 is likely to be dwarfed by the amount paid to lawyers in another lawsuit the duke has brought against the publisher.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Prince Harry challenges decisionto strip him of security after move to US with Meghan
Associated Newspapers is one of three British tabloid publishers he’s suing over claims they used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt on him.
The Mail publisher failed last month in its bid to throw out that lawsuit, though it prevailed in getting some evidence barred from trial. Nicklin — who is also hearing that case — is considering what to award in lawyer’s costs for each party’s respective wins.
Harry and co-claimants that include Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley said they spent $2.1 million to prepare for and argue their case at a hearing over several days in March. The publisher, meanwhile, is seeking up to $949,000.
From phone hacking to aerial photos:What to know about all of Prince Harry's lawsuits
veryGood! (92)
Related
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- ACLU sues Tennessee district attorney who promises to enforce the state’s new anti-drag show ban
- Tropical Storm Idalia brings flooding to South Carolina
- Jimmy Kimmel 'was very intent on retiring,' but this changed his mind
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Tori Spelling Pens Tribute to Her and Dean McDermott’s “Miracle Baby” Finn on His 11th Birthday
- Where RHOSLC's Meredith Marks and Lisa Barlow Stand Today After Years-Long Feud
- Friends Almost Re-Cast This Actress Over Lack of Chemistry With David Schwimmer
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- West Virginia college files for bankruptcy a month after announcing intentions to close
Ranking
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Federal health agency recommends easing marijuana restrictions
- 2 students stabbed at Florida high school in community cleaning up from Hurricane Idalia
- Weeks after the fire, the response in Maui shifts from a sprint to a marathon
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Man escapes mental hospital in Oregon while fully shackled and drives away
- Massachusetts transit sergeant charged with falsifying reports to cover for second officer
- Man escapes mental hospital in Oregon while fully shackled and drives away
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Justice Department moves to close gun show loophole
Utah Influencer Ruby Franke Arrested on Child Abuse Charges
Hurricane, shooting test DeSantis leadership as he trades the campaign trail for crisis management
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Back-to-school sickness: Pediatrician shares 3 tips to help keep kids healthy this season
Judge rules suspect in Ralph Yarl shooting will face trial
FDA sends warning letter to 3 major formula makers over quality control concerns