Current:Home > My41 reportedly dead after migrant boat capsizes off Italian island -VisionFunds
41 reportedly dead after migrant boat capsizes off Italian island
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:21:43
Forty-one people have died after a migrant boat capsized in the Mediterranean last week, survivors told local Italian media on Wednesday.
Four survivors who reached the Italian island of Lampedusa told rescuers that they were on a boat carrying forty-five people, including three children, the Ansa news agency reported.
The boat initially set off on Thursday from the city of Sfax in Tunisia — a notorious hotbed for migrant smuggling — but the boat turned over and sank within a few hours of departure, Ansa reported, citing accounts from the survivors.
The survivors consisted of three men and a woman from Ivory Coast and Guinea who said they had initially been rescued by a cargo ship, before being transferred onto an Italian coast guard ship.
Questions remain regarding whether these survivor accounts are connected to two shipwrecks that occurred on Sunday, with the Italian Coast Guard saying around 30 people were missing from one wreck.
Refugees in Libya, a non-governmental organization that works to ensure the safe arrival of refugees, said in a social media post Sunday that the Italian coastguard had recovered 57 survivors and two bodies in that particular incident.
In another operation, 34 migrants were airlifted by helicopter by Italy's emergency mountain rescue service on Sunday after being stranded on a cliff in Lampedusa — located in the Sicily region in southern Italy — and geographically closer to Tunisia than it is to the Italian mainland.
Government data from Italy's Interior ministry shows that around 93,700 migrants arrived to Italy by sea this year, with the most prominent nationalities of migrants being from Guinea and the Ivory Coast.
Separately, the Tunisian Coast Guard in Sfax said on Monday that they rescued two people and recovered 11 bodies of migrants whose boat had capsized in Tunisian waters.
The boat was carrying a total of 57 people from sub-Saharan African countries and 44 other passengers were still missing, Tunisian authorities told state television on Monday.
- In:
- Tunisia
- Africa
- Italy
- Boat Accident
- Migrants
veryGood! (3193)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Indiana governor breaks ground on $1.2 billion state prison that will replace 2 others
- Storm eases in Greece but flood risk remains high amid rising river levels
- All the Country Couples Heating Up the 2023 People's Choice Country Awards Red Carpet
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Best and worst performances after a memorable first month of the college football season
- A green card processing change means US could lose thousands of faith leaders from abroad
- State officials in Michigan scratched from lawsuit over lead in Benton Harbor’s water
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- From locker-room outcast to leader: How Odell Beckham Jr. became key voice for Ravens
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- The White House chief of staff says it's on House Republicans to avert a shutdown
- Phillies star Bryce Harper tosses helmet in stands after being ejected by Angel Hernandez
- 'The Creator' is based on big ideas — and a lot of spare parts
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Norway joins EU nations in banning Russian-registered cars from entering its territory
- Remote work: Is it time to return to the office? : 5 Things podcast
- Team USA & Team Europe announce golfer pairings for Day 1 of Ryder Cup 2023
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Police arrest suspect weeks after brutal attack of 13-year-old at a McDonald's in Los Angeles
Wisconsin corn mill owners plead to federal charges in fatal explosion, will pay $11.25 million
Orioles announce new 30-year deal to stay at Camden Yards
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Police in Portland, Oregon, are investigating nearly a dozen fentanyl overdoses involving children
This week on Sunday Morning (October 1)
Mexico’s president slams US aid for Ukraine and sanctions on Venezuela and Cuba