Current:Home > MyJudge blocks Trump lawyers from arguing about columnist’s rape claim at upcoming defamation trial -VisionFunds
Judge blocks Trump lawyers from arguing about columnist’s rape claim at upcoming defamation trial
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:56:43
NEW YORK (AP) — A judge late Saturday said former President Donald Trump’s lawyers can’t present legal arguments to a jury assessing damages at a defamation trial on a jury’s conclusion last year that he didn’t rape a columnist in the mid-1990s.
U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan made the determination in an order in advance of a Jan. 16 trial to determine defamation damages against Trump after a jury concluded Trump sexually abused columnist E. Jean Carroll but did not find evidence was sufficient to conclude that he raped her.
Trump, speaking in Iowa on Saturday as the Republican frontrunning presidential candidate in advance of a Jan. 15 primary, criticized the judge as a “radical Democrat” and mocked E. Jean Carroll for not screaming when she was attacked. “It was all made up,” he said.
Carroll, 80, won a $5 million award last May from a jury that concluded Trump sexually abused her in 1996 in a luxury department store dressing room and defamed her in 2022.
Trump did not attend the Manhattan trial where Carroll testified that a chance encounter at a Bergdorf Goodman store across the street from Trump Tower was flirtatious and fun until he slammed her against a wall in a dressing room and attacked her sexually. Trump has vehemently denied it.
In this month’s trial, a jury will consider whether damages should be levied against Trump for remarks he made after last year’s verdict and in 2019 while he was president after Carroll spoke publicly for the first time about her mid-1990s claims in a memoir.
Carroll’s lawyers had asked the judge to issue the order, saying that Trump’s attorneys should not be allowed to confuse jurors this month about last year’s verdict by trying to argue that the jury disbelieved Carroll’s rape claim.
They said the jury’s finding reflected its conclusion that Trump had forcibly and without consent digitally penetrated Carroll’s vagina, which does not constitute rape under New York state law but which constitutes rape in other jurisdictions.
Carroll’s lawyers said the “sting of the defamation was Mr. Trump’s assertions that Ms. Carroll’s charge of sexual abuse was an entirely untruthful fabrication and one made up for improper or even nefarious reasons.”
A lawyer for Trump did not immediately return a message Saturday.
Carroll is seeking $10 million in compensatory damages and substantially more in unspecified punitive damages at the trial. She will testify and Trump is listed as a witness. The trial is expected to last about a week.
Meanwhile, Trump has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges in four indictments, two of which accuse him of seeking to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, as well as a classified documents case and charges that he helped arrange a payoff to porn actor Stormy Daniels to silence her before the 2016 presidential election.
veryGood! (26)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- French opposition lawmakers reject the government’s key immigration bill without debating it
- Pacers star Tyrese Haliburton working his way into the NBA MVP race
- The mother of imprisoned drug lord Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán is reported dead in Mexico
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Packers vs. Giants Monday Night Football live updates: Odds, predictions, how to watch
- French opposition lawmakers reject the government’s key immigration bill without debating it
- Viola Davis, America Ferrera, Adam Driver snubbed in 2024 Golden Globe nominations
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Climate talks enter last day with no agreement in sight on fossil fuels
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Narges Mohammadi, Iranian activist and Nobel peace prize winner, to go on new hunger strike as prize is awarded
- Red Wings' David Perron suspended six games for cross-checking Artem Zub in the head
- 'Doctor Who' introduces first Black Doctor, wraps up 60th anniversary with perfect flair
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Work to resume at Tahiti’s legendary Olympic surfing site after uproar over damage to coral reef
- Cowboys-Eagles Sunday Night Football highlights: Dallas gets playoff picture-altering win
- Ram, Infiniti, Ford among 188,000 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
New charge filed against man accused of firing shotgun outside New York synagogue
'Doctor Who' introduces first Black Doctor, wraps up 60th anniversary with perfect flair
Vanessa Hudgens Had a High School Musical Reunion at Her Wedding
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Putin visits a shipyard to oversee the commissioning of new Russian nuclear submarines
Romanian court rejects influencer Andrew Tate’s request to return assets seized in trafficking case
Family of man who died after police used a stun gun on him file lawsuit against Alabama city