Current:Home > StocksU.S. defense secretary rejects plea deal for 9/11 mastermind, puts death penalty back on table -VisionFunds
U.S. defense secretary rejects plea deal for 9/11 mastermind, puts death penalty back on table
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 12:02:22
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin III on Friday put the death penalty back on the table for the mastermind of the 9/11 terror attacks and two accomplices, rejecting a plea deal offered by military prosecutors earlier this week.
“Effective immediately, I hereby withdraw your authority in the above-referenced case to enter into a pre-trial agreement and reserve such authority to myself,” Austin wrote in a memo Friday to retired Brigadier General Susan K. Escallier.
The announcement comes after Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and two of his top lieutenants agreed to plead guilty "in exchange for the removal of the death penalty as a possible punishment,” according to a Department of Defense letter sent to victims’ families Wednesday.
The Department of Defense first disclosed its Office of Military Commissions was working on a plea deal that would spare Mohammed and his accomplices their lives last August.
The sudden turnabout late Friday was met with mixed response by those who lost loved ones in the attacks.
Elizabeth Miller, whose father Douglas Miller, a New York City firefighter, died, is among the people related to victims of 9/11 who have been pushing for a plea agreement for years.
“I feel Ike this back and forth is completely disrespectful to 9/11 families,” Miller said. “This has already gone on for 13 years. When will it end?”
Others applauded Austin’s intervention in the mass murder case.
“This is a great turn of events,” said Terry Strada, whose husband Tom died on the 104th floor of the World Trade Center’s North Tower on 9/11. “I am very happy to see their plea deal revoked and the death penalty back on the table and hope justice will be served swiftly.”
Strada, the National Chair of 9/11 Families United, had called the U.S. plea deal a “victory” for the 9/11 plotters.
Mohammed has been jailed at Guantanamo prison for nearly two decades and is considered to be the mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks. The now-scuttled plea deal would have given Mohammed and two of his al Qaeda lieutenants life sentences and would have removed the possibility of a death penalty trial.
The three accused men had agreed to plead guilty to all offenses, including the murder of 2,976 people, according to the Department of Defense's Office of the Chief Prosecutor for Military Commissions.
Two of Mohammed's accomplices in the planning for the 9/11 attack, Walid Bin Attash and Mustafa al-Hawasawi, had also entered into plea agreements Wednesday, the DOD said. All three men had been detained at Guantanamo prison for nearly two decades with no formal prison sentences imposed. Under the now-void plea deal, they were scheduled to be sentenced by a panel of military officers in the summer of 2025.
Mohammed is described in court papers as an al-Qaeda militant and the principal architect of the 9/11 assault on New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon outside Washington. In CIA custody, interrogators subjected Mohammed to “enhanced interrogation techniques” including waterboarding him 183 times, according to the Senate Intelligence Committee's 2014 report on the agency’s detention and interrogation programs.
The plea deal rejected by Austin would have required Mohammed and the other two combatants be sentenced by a panel of military officers at a sentencing hearing expected to happen in the summer of 2025. Family members of victims would have been able to testify at the hearing and provide a statement for the jury to use in determining a sentence.
The families would also have been able to ask the al-Qaeda operatives questions about their role in the attacks and motives. Mohammed and the others would have been required to answer as part of the plea agreement, according to the original letter explaining the terms of the plea deal. The letter was sent to family members of 9/11 victims.
Some family members interviewed by USA TODAY earlier this week said that they supported the plea, largely because of their right to ask questions to the attackers at the sentencing hearing. Some, such as Miller, anticipated asking Mohammed about his connections to Osama Bin Laden, for instance.
The families were told in the letter they received on Wednesday that the government had carefully considered all options and decided that a plea arrangement was best.
“The decision to enter into a pre-trial agreement after 12 years of pre-trial litigation was not reached lightly; however, it is our collective, reasoned, and good-faith judgment that this resolution is the best path to finality and justice," military prosecutors wrote in the letter.
Contributing: Tom Vanden Brook and Josh Meyer, USA TODAY
veryGood! (612)
Related
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Rob Lowe Celebrates 33 Years of Sobriety With Message on His Recovery Journey
- U.S. Navy Tests Boat Powered by Algae
- 10 key takeaways from the Trump indictment: What the federal charges allegedly reveal
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Psychedelic drugs may launch a new era in psychiatric treatment, brain scientists say
- Obama Broadens Use of ‘Climate Tests’ in Federal Project Reviews
- Transcript: Robert Costa on Face the Nation, June 11, 2023
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Lisa Rinna Reacts to Andy Cohen’s Claims About Her Real Housewives Exit
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- U.S. Starts Process to Open Arctic to Offshore Drilling, Despite Federal Lawsuit
- 是奥密克戎变异了,还是专家变异了?:中国放弃清零,困惑与假消息蔓延
- Lori Vallow Found Guilty in Triple Murder Trial
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Sen. Marco Rubio: Trump's indictment is political in nature, will bring more harm to the country
- 6 shot in crowded Houston parking lot after disturbance in nightclub, police say
- Supreme Court won't review North Carolina's decision to reject license plates with Confederate flag
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Natural Climate Solutions Could Cancel Out a Fifth of U.S. Emissions, Study Finds
Natalee Holloway Disappearance Case: Suspect Joran van der Sloot to Be Extradited to the U.S.
After a Rough Year, Farmers and Congress Are Talking About Climate Solutions
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Jennifer Lopez Reveals How Her Latest Role Helped Her Become a Better Mom
What’s at Stake for the Climate in the 2016 Election? Everything.
Spring Is Coming Earlier to Wildlife Refuges, and Bird Migrations Need to Catch Up