Current:Home > ScamsAlbert Alarr, 'Days of Our Lives' executive producer, ousted after misconduct allegations, reports say -VisionFunds
Albert Alarr, 'Days of Our Lives' executive producer, ousted after misconduct allegations, reports say
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 11:32:33
Albert Alarr, a longtime director and producer on the soap opera "Days of Our Lives," is leaving the series following allegations of misconduct brought against him.
Alarr's departure was confirmed by "Days of Our Lives" executive producer Ken Corday in a statement obtained by Deadline and Variety.
"Effective immediately, Janet Drucker will be elevated to co-executive producer of 'Days of Our Lives,' replacing Albert Alarr, who will be exiting his role," Corday wrote in a memo to the show's cast and crew, per the outlets. "Moving forward, we will be implementing additional HR protocols, including an increased HR presence as well as channels for reporting any concerns. It is imperative that we have a safe and inclusive workplace environment."
Allegations of a toxic workplace environment and misconduct by Alarr — ranging from inappropriate comments and touching to groping and forceful kissing — emerged after Sony Pictures Television launched a nine-week investigation prompted by a gender disparity complaint that female employees had been disproportionately impacted by recent layoffs on the long-running soap opera, Deadline exclusively reported in July.
In a statement to Deadline and People magazine, Alarr, who has served as the show's director since 2003 and co-executive producer since 2011, said, "It is hard to overstate how heartbreaking I find this situation."
"Many of the claims recently referenced in the media are simply false. Others have been taken so out of context or are so twisted that they are unrecognizable from the truth," Alarr told the outlets. "Every day, I worked with hundreds of people, the overwhelming majority of whom would disagree with recent mischaracterizations of me. I have been in this industry for decades, and not a single complaint has ever been made against me until now."
Following the investigation's launch, a petition was started by "Days of Ours Lives" cast members requesting Alarr’s removal from the show, Deadline previously reported. More than 25 cast members signed the petition.
"These allegations were already examined in a detailed and entirely independent investigation that lasted for two months," Alarr continued. "Dozens of individuals cooperated and every claim was thoroughly looked into. At the end of that process, the decision was made that I should continue in my role as co-executive producer. Now, with no new facts presented, the studios have reversed course and caved to a cynical pressure campaign to force me out of my job."
Lizzo lawsuit:Singer sued by dancers for 'demoralizing' weight shaming, sexual harassment
Farah Galfond, who starred as Mimi Lockhart on the show from 1999 to 2007, reflected on her experience working with Alarr in a social media post Wednesday.
"I had the particular misfortune of having Alarr direct my first ever ‘love’ scene when I was 19," Galfond wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter. "I was extremely modest and freaked out to be standing in my underwear in front of dozens of crew…and did Albert do or say one little thing to make me feel remotely at ease? Absolutely not. He pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed me on a particular issue, and was annoyed when I stood my ground."
Galfond added that she was "sorry to my former coworkers who’ve been dealing with this relentlessly for decades now."
"20 years later and I still feel sad about that day yet happy I set a boundary," Galfond wrote. "But man would it have been nice to have a woman direct that scene and make sure I felt protected instead of exposed."
More:Woman accuses Bill Cosby of drugging, sexually assaulting her in the '80s
veryGood! (49455)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Brian Laundrie's parents detail 'frantic' conversations with son: 'Gabby's gone, please call a lawyer'
- Snoop Dogg's Brother Bing Worthington Dead at 44
- Everything you need to know about this year’s Oscars
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Don't Miss J.Crew’s Jewelry Sale with Chic Statement & Everyday Pieces, Starting at $6
- How an OnlyFans mom's ads got 9 kids got expelled from Florida private Christian school
- 5 patients die after oxygen cut off in Gaza hospital seized by Israeli forces, health officials say
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Driver who rammed onto packed California sidewalk convicted of hit-and-run but not DUI
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- A Liberian woman with a mysterious past dwells in limbo in 'Drift'
- New York State Restricts Investments in ExxonMobil, But Falls Short of Divestment
- Tax refund seem smaller this year? IRS says taxpayers are getting less money back (so far)
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Elkhorn man charged in Wisconsin sports bar killings
- Body of deputy who went missing after making arrest found in Tennessee River
- Heather Rae El Moussa Reacts to Valentine’s Day Backlash With Message on “Pettiness”
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
How the Navy came to protect cargo ships
Taylor Swift tickets to Eras Tour in Australia are among cheapest one can find. Here's why.
Salad kit from Bristol Farms now included in listeria-related recalls as outbreak grows
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Proposed questions on sexual orientation and gender identity for the Census Bureau’s biggest survey
White House confirms intelligence showing Russia developing anti-satellite capability
Chase Elliott, NASCAR's most popular driver, enters 2024 optimistic about bounce-back year