Current:Home > ScamsFamilies of 5 men killed by Minnesota police reach settlement with state crime bureau -VisionFunds
Families of 5 men killed by Minnesota police reach settlement with state crime bureau
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:55:11
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Families of five men killed by police have reached a settlement with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension in their lawsuit seeking the investigative files on the fatal shootings.
The $165,000 settlement was reached Monday. The families’ attorney, Paul Bosman, said they will have full access to the case files, and the bureau will tell families in the future how to obtain such reports and how to obtain their relatives’ belongings, the Pioneer Press reported.
“These families had only heard the police press releases, the police union statements, and the county attorneys’ rationales for not charging the involved officers,” Bosman said. “That’s what their neighbors had heard, too. They couldn’t defend their loved ones’ names or begin putting their grief to rest, because even though they were entitled to the data about what happened, the BCA wasn’t giving it to them.”
Prosecutors cleared the officers of wrongdoing in all the shootings. The families’ lawsuit, filed in November, alleged the bureau violated Minnesota’s open records laws.
“Prior to this lawsuit being filed, the BCA had already sought and secured funding from the Legislature to bolster our data practices team,” the bureau said in a statement. “Requests for data from the BCA have increased dramatically in recent years and this additional funding and staffing will mean faster responses for anyone who requests information in the coming years.”
The families include those of Brent Alsleben, Dolal Idd,Zachary Shogren,Okwan Sims and Tekle Sundberg, who were killed by police between 2020 and 2023.
veryGood! (78233)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- U.S. forces, allies shoot down more than 2 dozen Houthi drones in Red Sea
- Kirk Cousins is the NFL's deal-making master. But will he pay off for Falcons in playoffs?
- West Virginia governor vies for Manchin’s US Senate seat, while moonlighting as girls hoops coach
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Man bitten by a crocodile after falling off his boat at a Florida Everglades marina
- Social Security benefits could give you an extra $900 per month. Are you eligible?
- Special counsel Hur is set to testify before a House committee over handling of Biden documents case
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Appeals court weighs Delaware laws banning certain semiautomatic firearms, large-capacity magazines
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- US inflation likely stayed elevated last month as Federal Reserve looks toward eventual rate cuts
- Mistrial declared in fired Penn State football team doctor’s lawsuit over 2019 ouster
- Eva Longoria Reveals Her Unexpected Pre-Oscars Meal
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Crash of small private jet in rural Virginia kills all 5 on board, authorities say
- Christian Wilkins, Raiders agree to terms on four-year, $110 million contract
- Deputy dies during altercation in upstate New York casino, man charged in death
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Special counsel Hur is set to testify before a House committee over handling of Biden documents case
Oil sheen off California possibly caused by natural seepage from ocean floor, Coast Guard says
Una inundación catastrófica en la costa central de California profundizó la crisis de los ya marginados trabajadores agrícolas indígenas
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Florida teachers can discuss sexual orientation and gender ID under ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill settlement
LinkedIn goes down on Wednesday, following Facebook outage on Super Tuesday
Yamaha recall: More than 30,000 power adaptors recalled over electrocution risk