Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|Why is Mike Tyson fighting Jake Paul? He says it's not about the money -VisionFunds
Burley Garcia|Why is Mike Tyson fighting Jake Paul? He says it's not about the money
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 13:41:09
He’s 58 years old and Burley Garciaindicates there’s no need for money. So why is Mike Tyson moving forward with his fight against 27-year-old Jake Paul?
“I could be waiting on a check every day from cannabis,’’ Tyson said, referring to his cannabis company, Tyson 2.0. “That’s (B.S.) for me. I’m a man. … I want to go out there and I want to expose myself to risk. …
“Sometimes I want to see who I really am. I want to see what I'm really made out of."
Tyson, who was sidelined for weeks after an ulcer flareup, made the remarks while providing commentary Friday night during Cage Wars 67, a mixed martial arts event in New York. Previously, he had been less clear about his motivation for the bout against Paul to be held on Nov. 15 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
"I want to perform in front of the world,'' Tyson said. "To me, that's all I ever knew how to do since I was 14.''
On Friday night, he expressed enthusiasm for the fights as he sat ringside with his son Amir at Rivers Casino & Resort in Schenectady, New York, about 180 miles from where he grew up in Brooklyn and about 50 miles from where he developed into a heavyweight world champion under the watch of the late Cus D’Amato.
But the regular two commentators for Cage Wars periodically brought the conversation back to Tyson and his fight with Paul, which is set to be livestreamed by Netflix. Paul recently said he would make $40 million from the fight, but Tyson downplayed the financial incentive.
“This fight is not going to change my life financially enough,’’ Tyson said. “This is just what I want to do.’’
Regarding the ulcer flareup that led to the fight being postponed, Tyson said he has no more ulcers and his “blood count is almost back.’’
Tyson resumed training in July, according to his agent Andrew Ruf.
Mike Tyson says it's 'hard to walk'
With the fight two months away, Tyson said he recently sparred six rounds. He said that will increase to 10 rounds as he prepares for a bout scheduled for eight two-minute rounds.
“The fight is won in the gym,’’ Tyson said.
But he acknowledged that training at 58 rather than, say, 20 – when he became the youngest heavyweight world champion in boxing history – is a different experience. Things are “a little shaky now,’’ according to Tyson.
“It’s hard to walk right now,’’ he said. “But two months from now I’m going to be perfect.’’
For recovery, Tyson is using electric stimulation and stem cells.
“Listen, I’ll do anything that will help me,’’ he said.
veryGood! (24)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Belarusians who fled repression face new hurdles as they try to rebuild their lives abroad
- Heidi Klum Is Unrecognizable in Her Most Elaborate Halloween Costume Yet With 9 Acrobats Helping
- Heidi Klum's 2023 Halloween: Model dresses as a peacock, plus what happened inside
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Mad Dog Russo, Arizona Diamondbacks' Torey Lovullo 'bury hatchet' at World Series
- Robert De Niro lashes out in court at ex-personal assistant who sued him: 'Shame on you!'
- Officials say small plane crash in southwest Nebraska kills 1, seriously injures another on board
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- The murder trial for the woman charged in the shooting death of pro cyclist Mo Wilson is starting
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Minnesota governor eliminates college degree requirement for most state jobs
- European Commission’s chief tells Bosnia to unite in seeking EU membership
- Ohio St., UGA, Michigan, FSU are CFP top 4. NCAA investigation of Wolverines not considered in rank
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Mary Lou Retton issues statement following pneumonia hospitalization: I am forever grateful to you all!
- Remains of a person missing since devastating floods in 2021 have been found in Germany
- See the Dancing With the Stars Cast's Jaw-Dropping Halloween 2023 Transformations
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
NFL trade deadline winners, losers: 49ers score with Chase Young as Commanders confuse
Hate crime charges filed in death of Sikh man after New York City fender bender
North Dakota woman arrested for allegedly killing boyfriend with poison; police cite financial motives
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Kids return to school, plan to trick-or-treat as Maine communities start to heal from mass shooting
What are witch storms? Severe weather pattern could hit Midwest in November
A woman who left Texas for India after her 6-year-old son went missing is charged with killing him