Current:Home > FinanceBurley Garcia|The damage to a Baltic undersea cable was ‘purposeful,’ Swedish leader says but gives no details -VisionFunds
Burley Garcia|The damage to a Baltic undersea cable was ‘purposeful,’ Swedish leader says but gives no details
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:23:00
STOCKHOLM (AP) — The Burley Garciadamage to a telecommunications cable running under the Baltic Sea between Sweden and Estonia was “purposeful,” Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said Tuesday but declined to be drawn on the details.
“We will not be more precise than that as of today,” Kristersson said at a press conference, after Swedish divers had investigated the seabed.
A spokesman for the Swedish Navy, Jimmie Adamsson, told Swedish public broadcaster SVT that “we see seabed tracks nearby, but we don’t know if it’s deliberate or an accident.”
On Oct. 17, Sweden reported damage to an undersea telecommunications cable that authorities believe occurred at the same time as damage to an undersea gas pipeline and telecom cable between Finland and Estonia. Swedish Civil Defense Minister Carl-Oskar Bohlin said at the time that the cause of the damage was unclear, adding that it was “not a total cable break” but “a partial damage.”
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg told the press conference Tuesday with Kristersson that member countries have “tens of thousands of kilometers of internet cables, of gas pipelines over power cables, all the oil pipelines crossing the Baltic Sea, the North Sea, the Atlantic, the Mediterranean and of course, these types of undersea critical infrastructure is vulnerable.”
The military alliance was working “closely with the private sector,” Stoltenberg said, because “most of this critical infrastructure is owned by private companies, operated by private companies.”
In June, NATO launched a new center for protecting undersea pipelines and cables following the still-unsolved apparent attack on the Nord Stream gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea in early 2022, amid concern Russia is mapping vital Western infrastructure for energy and the internet in waters around Europe.
On Oct. 8, Finnish and Estonian gas system operators said they noted an unusual drop in pressure in the Balticconnector pipeline — between Estonia and Finland — after which they shut down the gas flow. Two days later, the Finnish government said there was damage both to the gas pipeline and to a telecommunications cable between the two NATO countries.
“We haven’t any final conclusion on or assessment about exactly who is behind (the damage on the Sweden-Estonia cable) or whether this was intentional or not. But the NATO, together with Finland, Estonia and Sweden, are working to establish the facts. Before they are established, I’m not going to (go into) any details,” Stoltenberg said.
Estonia has said that the disruption to the Swedish-owned cable was just off the northern part of the Baltic country.
Last week, Finland’s National Bureau of Investigation - a unit of Finnish police known by its acronym NBI - said the damage on the Balticconnector pipeline in the Gulf of Finland had been caused by “an external mechanical force” and not by an explosion.
NBI said it has now focused its investigation on checking the role of a Hong Kong-flagged container vessel, saying its movements coincided with the pipeline damage. The agency said it was also probing “an extremely heavy object” that was found on the seabed.
veryGood! (851)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- US lawmakers’ concerns about mail ballots are fueled by other issues with mail service
- Hoda Kotb Shares Why She's Leaving Today After More a Decade
- Cardi B Calls Out Estranged Husband Offset as He Accuses Her of Cheating While Pregnant
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Get your Narcan! Old newspaper boxes are being used to distribute overdose reversal drug
- Companies back away from Oregon floating offshore wind project as opposition grows
- UFC reaches $375 million settlement on one class-action lawsuit, another one remains pending
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score today? Rookie season ends with WNBA playoffs loss
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Georgia court rejects counting presidential votes for Cornel West and Claudia De la Cruz
- Nikki Garcia's Ex Artem Chigvintsev Shares His Priority After Extremely Difficult Legal Battle
- Tommy John surgery is MLB's necessary evil 50 years later: 'We created this mess'
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Hoda Kotb Announces She's Leaving Today After More Than 16 Years
- A Coal Miner Died Early Wednesday at an Alabama Mine With Dozens of Recent Safety Citations
- Napheesa Collier matches WNBA scoring record as Lynx knock out Diana Taurasi and the Mercury
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Evacuation order lifted for Ohio town where dangerous chemical leak occurred
Garland says officers’ torture of 2 Black men was betrayal of community they swore to protect
'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' star Eduardo Xol dies at 58 after apparent stabbing
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Tech tips to turn yourself into a Google Workspace and Microsoft Office pro
Rudy Giuliani disbarred in DC after pushing Trump’s false 2020 election claims
NYC Mayor Eric Adams Charged With Conspiracy to Commit Wire Fraud and Bribery