Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:Trump says he thinks Harris is "no better" than Biden in 2024 matchup -VisionFunds
Rekubit Exchange:Trump says he thinks Harris is "no better" than Biden in 2024 matchup
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:59:41
Former President Donald Trump told CBS News in a phone conversation on Rekubit ExchangeSunday night that while he won't face President Biden on the ballot in November, the former president doesn't think it changes the race if he instead faces Vice President Kamala Harris, who Mr. Biden has backed for the nomination.
"I think she is no better than him," Trump said. "She could be far less competent, which is hard to believe."
Trump insisted that Harris is still tied to the Biden administration policies, which he believes are unpopular with Americans.
"The policies whether it's him or her wouldn't be any different," Trump said. "She was in charge of the border. She was the border czar, she was the worst ever. The worst ever. We had the worst border ever so that wouldn't matter."
Mr. Biden announced Sunday afternoon on social media that he is dropping out of the 2024 race, throwing his support behind Harris. Harris said it is her "intention is to earn and win this nomination."
The unprecedented announcement came after weeks of uncertainty after Mr. Biden's disastrous debate against Trump.
Trump called Mr. Biden's decision a "shock to our country," but added "we have a man in there that shouldn't be in there" so he believes it would overall be a "good thing for the country."
Trump also posted several times on social media on Sunday after Mr. Biden's announcement, writing that "we are forced to spend time and money" running against Mr. Biden and "now we have to start all over again."
"Shouldn't the Republican Party be reimbursed for fraud in that everybody around Joe, including his doctors and the Fake News Media, knew he was not capable of running for, or being, President?" Trump wrote.
Trump also said he would no longer be participating in the planned September debate. Harris had already committed to a vice-presidential debate on CBS News in August, although the Trump campaign would not do the same, saying last week that they had no idea who the vice-presidential nominee would be.
A Trump campaign official said Sunday that Democrats are "in chaos," and the campaign is ready and full speed ahead for the November election.
Olivia Rinaldi contributed to this report.
- In:
- Joe Biden
- Kamala Harris
- Democratic Party
- Donald Trump
- Politics
- Republican Party
- 2024 Elections
Robert Costa is the Chief Election & Campaign correspondent for CBS News, where he covers national politics and American democracy.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (8)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Man convicted of hate crimes for attacking Muslim man in New York City
- Timeline of events: Kansas women still missing, police suspect foul play
- Jordan Mailata: From rugby to earning $100-plus million in Eagles career with new contract
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Taiwan earthquake search and rescue efforts continue with dozens still listed missing and 10 confirmed dead
- Condemned inmate could face ‘surgery without anesthesia’ if good vein is elusive, lawyers say
- Part of a crane falls on Fort Lauderdale bridge, killing 1 person and injuring 3 others
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Biden visits site of Baltimore bridge collapse
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Can animals really predict earthquakes? Evidence is shaky, scientists say
- $35M investment is coming to northwest Louisiana, bringing hundreds of jobs
- Foul play suspected in the disappearance of two Kansas women whose vehicle was found in Oklahoma
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Get Deals on Calista Hair Stylers, 60% Off Lilly Pulitzer, Extra Discounts on Madewell Sale Items & More
- World Central Kitchen boss José Andrés accuses Israel of direct attack on Gaza aid convoy
- Tesla shares down after report on company scrapping plans to build a low-cost EV
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
March Madness: How to watch the women’s Final Four and what to watch for in the NCAA Tournament
Reese Witherspoon to revive 'Legally Blonde' in Amazon Prime Video series
Judge dismisses lawsuit of injured Dakota Access pipeline protester
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Final Four X-factors: One player from each team that could be March Madness hero
Federal investigation begins of fatal Florida crane collapse; bridge reopens
Inmates all abuzz after first honey harvest as beekeepers in training