Current:Home > ScamsJudge in Trump’s hush money case delays date for ruling on presidential immunity -VisionFunds
Judge in Trump’s hush money case delays date for ruling on presidential immunity
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:17:58
NEW YORK (AP) — The judge in Donald Trump’s hush money trial is pushing back a date for a key ruling on presidential immunity until two days before Trump’s scheduled sentencing.
The immunity decision had been due Sept. 6, with the sentencing set for Sept. 18. But then Trump’s lawyers asked Judge Juan M. Merchan last week to rule first on their renewed bid to get the judge to step aside from the case.
In a letter made public Tuesday, Judge Juan M. Merchan postponed the immunity ruling to Sept. 16 — if it’s still needed after he decides next week whether to recuse himself.
Merchan said the Republican presidential nominee is still due in court Sept. 18 for “the imposition of sentence or other proceedings as appropriate.”
Trump lawyer Todd Blanche and the Manhattan district attorney’s office, which is prosecuting the case, declined to comment.
A jury found Trump guilty in May of falsifying business records to conceal a deal to pay off porn actor Stormy Daniels shortly before the 2016 election. At the time, she was considering going public with a story of a sexual encounter with Trump a decade earlier.
Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen paid Daniels and was later reimbursed by Trump, whose company logged the repayment as legal expenses. Prosecutors said that was an effort to disguise the true nature of the transactions and the underlying hush money deal.
Trump denies Daniels’ claim, maintains he did nothing wrong and says the case is politically motivated. Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg is a Democrat.
Trump’s lawyers say the Supreme Court’s July ruling on presidential immunity warrants overturning the May guilty verdict and entirely dismissing the hush money case against Trump. The defense also c ontends that the trial was “tainted” by evidence that should not have been allowed under the high court’s ruling, such as testimony from some Trump White House staffers and tweets he sent while president in 2018.
The high court’s ruling curbs prosecutions of ex-presidents for official acts and restricts prosecutors in pointing to official acts as evidence that a commander in chief’s unofficial actions were illegal.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office maintains that the high court’s opinion “has no bearing” on the hush money case because it involves unofficial acts for which the former president is not immune.
Meanwhile, Trump’s lawyers asked Merchan last week, for a third time, to exit the case, saying his daughter’s work for Vice President Kamala Harris’ 2020 presidential campaign underscores questions about his ability to be impartial. Harris is now the Democratic nominee for president.
Merchan rejected two prior recusal requests last year, saying the defense’s concerns were “hypothetical” and based on “innuendos” and “unsupported speculation.”
But Trump lawyer Todd Blanche argued that Harris’ entry into the presidential race makes those issues “even more concrete” and said the judge hadn’t addressed them in enough detail.
The hush money case is one of four criminal prosecutions brought against Trump last year.
One federal case, accusing Trump of illegally hoarding classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, was dismissed last month. The Justice Department is appealing.
The others — federal and Georgia state cases concerning Trump’s efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss — are not positioned to go to trial before the November election.
veryGood! (7441)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Jessie J Shares She’s Been Diagnosed With ADHD and OCD
- A different price for everyone? What is dynamic pricing and is it fair?
- Homeland Security secretary names independent panel to review Trump assassination attempt
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Get the scoop on National Ice Cream Day!
- Green Bay Packers reach three-year extension with Kenny Clark on eve of training camp
- MLB trade deadline 2024: Biggest questions as uncertainty holds up rumor mill
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Southern California wildfire destroys and damages homes during scorching heat wave
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 'West Wing' creator Aaron Sorkin suggests Democrats nominate Mitt Romney
- Real Housewives of New Jersey Star Melissa Gorga Shares the 1 Essential She Has in Her Bag at All Times
- Diver Tom Daley Shares Look at Cardboard Beds in 2024 Paris Olympic Village
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Self-professed ‘Wolf of Airbnb’ sentenced to over 4 years in prison for defrauding landlords
- U.S. travel advisory level to Bangladesh raised after police impose shoot-on-sight curfew amid protests
- 3,000 migrants leave southern Mexico on foot in a new caravan headed for the US border
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
No one hurt when CSX locomotive derails and strikes residential garage in Niagara Falls
Kamala Harris says she intends to earn and win Democratic presidential nomination
Charmed's Holly Marie Combs Reveals Shannen Doherty Promised to Haunt Her After Death
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
'Walks with Ben': Kirk Herbstreit to start college football interview project with dog
Armie Hammer says 'it was more like a scrape' regarding branding allegations
Xander Schauffele claims British Open title for his second major of season