Current:Home > MyGeorge Santos attorney expresses optimism about plea talks as expelled congressman appears in court -VisionFunds
George Santos attorney expresses optimism about plea talks as expelled congressman appears in court
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 16:14:34
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) — Former U.S. Rep. George Santos ' lawyer expressed optimism about plea negotiations in Santos’ criminal fraud case Tuesday, successfully fending off prosecutors’ attempts to speed up the the ousted congressman’s trial.
In Santos’ first court appearance since he was expelled from Congress earlier this month, his attorney, Joseph Murray, argued that it was premature to bring the September trial forward while the two parties were in talks to resolve the case.
“We should focus on the plea deal. I believe they can be fruitful,” Murray told Judge Joanna Seybert in the federal court in Long Island. He also argued that he was “struggling” to keep up with “voluminous materials” produced by the government during the discovery process.
Seybert sided with Murray, saying she would try to move the case “as expeditiously as possible” but that September seemed like the earliest possible date based on her current caseload. She set the next hearing in the case for Jan. 23.
Santos, wearing a blue blazer over a dark sweater, declined to comment on the case to reporters as he left the courthouse, saying to one, “It’s cold, go home.”
Santos earlier this month became only the sixth lawmaker in history to be expelled from the U.S. House of Representatives, a move that left Republicans with a razor-thin majority in the chamber.
The ex-lawmaker faces a slew of criminal charges, including allegations that he defrauded campaign donors, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed, and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. Among the charges are allegations that he made unauthorized charges on credit cards belonging to some of his donors.
Santos, 35, pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment in October.
Prosecutors revealed in a court filing Monday that they were negotiating with Santos to potentially resolve his criminal case without a trial.
In an interview on CBS New York that aired Sunday, Santos said he hadn’t ruled out pleading guilty, saying “there’s obviously conversations taking place, especially after what happened in Congress, and we’ll see.”
Santos was elected last year after campaigning as a self-made Wall Street whiz, but was revealed after the election to have been a fabulist who had lied about where he worked, where he went to college and big chunks of his personal background.
Since leaving Congress, Santos launched an account on the website Cameo, where the public can pay him for a personalized video message. In the televised interview, Santos said he made more money in a week on the platform than his annual salary as a congressman.
A special election will be held Feb. 13 to elect his successor in a House district that includes a mix of wealthy Long Island suburbs and a working-class section of Queens.
That race will likely pit former U.S. Rep. Thomas Suozzi, a Democrat who previously held the seat before running unsuccessfully for governor, against one of a number of Republicans.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (3657)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- The Fate of Protected Wetlands Are At Stake in the Supreme Court’s First Case of the Term
- New York’s ‘Deliveristas’ Are at the Forefront of Cities’ Sustainable Transportation Shake-up
- Noah Cyrus Shares How Haters Criticizing Her Engagement Reminds Her of Being Suicidal at Age 11
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Supreme Court looks at whether Medicare and Medicaid were overbilled under fraud law
- The Clean Energy Transition Enters Hyperdrive
- The origins of the influencer industry
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Behold the tax free bagel: A New York classic gets a tax day makeover
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $250 Crossbody Bag for Just $59 and a Free Wallet
- The U.K. blocks Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy game giant Activision Blizzard
- Nuclear Fusion: Why the Race to Harness the Power of the Sun Just Sped Up
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Today’s Climate: Manchin, Eyeing a Revival of Build Back Better, Wants a Ban on Russian Oil and Gas
- Shaquil Barrett and Wife Jordanna Announces She's Pregnant 2 Months After Daughter's Death
- It's an Even Bigger Day When These Celebrity Bridesmaids Are Walking Down the Aisle
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Pull Up a Seat for Jennifer Lawrence's Chicken Shop Date With Amelia Dimoldenberg
From Spring to Fall, New York Harbor Is a Feeding Ground for Bottlenose Dolphins, a New Study Reveals
Senate Votes to Ratify the Kigali Amendment, Joining 137 Nations in an Effort to Curb Global Warming
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Inside Hilarie Burton and Jeffrey Dean Morgan's Incredibly Private Marriage
Today’s Climate: Manchin, Eyeing a Revival of Build Back Better, Wants a Ban on Russian Oil and Gas
California becomes the first state to adopt emission rules for trains