Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Morocco earthquake death toll tops 2,800 as frantic rescue efforts continue -VisionFunds
Charles H. Sloan-Morocco earthquake death toll tops 2,800 as frantic rescue efforts continue
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 12:30:08
Marrakech,Charles H. Sloan Morocco — Hundreds of people stood in line for hours outside a blood bank in the central Moroccan city of Marrakech on Monday, some even passing out from the heat, but all of them determined do whatever they can for their country as it reels from the devastating earthquake that struck Friday night.
The United Nations estimated that some 300,000 people had been affected by the al-Houz quake — a powerful 6.8 magnitude temblor that struck a region unaccustomed and ill-prepared for such a jolt. On Monday, the death toll rose to 2,862, with another 2,562 injured, according to Morocco's Ministry of Interior.
Video continued to emerge over the weekend capturing both the extent of the devastation, and the frenzied moments right after the earthquake struck the North African nation.
The frantic effort to find survivors was still underway, as others turned to mourning their loved ones.
"We were having dinner," said Hamid Ben Henna. "I asked my son to bring a knife from the kitchen to cut the dessert, but he never did because as soon as he left the kitchen, the earthquake struck. He was buried in six feet of rubble."
The worst of the destruction is in the scenic High Atlas Mountains, where dirt roads snake into snow-capped peaks. Many of those passes have been blocked by rockslides, making it impossible to reach those still trapped beneath the debris of their homes.
Some could still be saved, but many more will need to be found and laid to rest.
"We just couldn't ever imagine something like this happening here really, It's just been totally devastating," said Helen Gallagher who emigrated to make Morocco her home. "We're just in survival mode and trying to get help out to the people who most need it, and we'll process it afterwards."
In cities like Marrakech, with its famed Casbah, medieval buildings that have stood for 1,000 years have been badly damaged. Some have fallen, and others could topple at any moment.
The need for aid is immense and urgent. The U.S. Embassy in Morocco said it was aware of a small number of Americans who were hurt in the quake, but none who were killed.
- In:
- Rescue
- Africa
- Morocco
- Disaster
- Earthquake
Chris Livesay is a CBS News foreign correspondent based in Rome.
TwitterveryGood! (8)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- New York City’s ban on police chokeholds, diaphragm compression upheld by state’s high court
- Supreme Court declines appeal from Derek Chauvin in murder of George Floyd
- The messy human drama behind OpenAI
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- 49ers lose All-Pro safety Talanoa Hufanga for season due to torn ACL
- Boat crammed with Rohingya refugees, including women and children, sent back to sea in Indonesia
- Napoleon's bicorne hat sold at auction for a history-making price
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Boston Bruins forward Lucic to be arraigned on assault charge after wife called police to their home
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Christian conservatives flock to former telenovela star in Mexico’s presidential race
- USMNT reaches Copa America despite ugly loss at Trinidad and Tobago
- Close friends can help you live longer but they can spread some bad habits too
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Israel reveals signs of Hamas activity at Shifa, but a promised command center remains elusive
- Hunger Games' Rachel Zegler Reveals the OMG Story Behind Her First Meeting With Jennifer Lawrence
- Christian conservatives flock to former telenovela star in Mexico’s presidential race
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Horoscopes Today, November 20, 2023
Second suspect arrested in Morgan State University shooting
Lightning left wing Cole Koepke wearing neck guard following the death of Adam Johnson
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Nearly 1,000 Rohingya refugees arrive by boat in Indonesia’s Aceh region in one week
Taylor Swift postpones Rio de Janeiro show due to extreme weather following fan's death
Israel reveals signs of Hamas activity at Shifa, but a promised command center remains elusive