Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-In a landslide-stricken town in California, life is like camping with no power, gas -VisionFunds
Oliver James Montgomery-In a landslide-stricken town in California, life is like camping with no power, gas
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 12:47:18
RANCHO PALOS VERDES,Oliver James Montgomery Calif. (AP) — Nick Mardesic and his family are living off the power grid, so light at night comes from a flashlight, and a hot meal and shower require driving several miles to his parents’ home.
The family is not in a rugged location, but rather on a scenic peninsula on the edge of Los Angeles. And they aren’t off the grid by choice. Their power and gas were cut because worsening landslides from two years of heavy rain are threatening to tear apart scores of multimillion-dollar homes perched over the Pacific Ocean.
Mardesic has been fighting for months to keep his home standing. Sections of his front yard have sunk about 3.5 feet (1 meter). Deep fissures snake across the walls of his house and a piece of dry wall fell from his ceiling. The sidewalk and one end of his driveway have caved, creating a gaping hole that has exposed an underground water pipe. His bedroom is on the verge of collapse, he said, so he has been placing wood on a beam under the house and jacks it up. In the past five months, he has spent about $50,000 to keep his home elevated.
“It’s something you see out of a movie,” he said outside the home he shares with his wife and two children, ages 3 and 1. “It’s almost unbelievable … just watching your house sink away.”
The landslides are the latest catastrophe in California, already burdened by worsening wildfires and extreme weather that has swung from heat waves to torrential rains that have caused flooding and mudslides in the past year.
In Rancho Palos Verdes, entire homes have collapsed or been torn apart. Walls have shifted and large fissures have appeared on the ground. Evacuation warnings are in effect and swaths of the community have had their power and gas turned off. Gas service was cut to more residents on Thursday and more were expected Friday. Others are contending with temporary water shutdowns to fix sewer lines.
Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency on Tuesday.
Jill Carlton, who has lived in the community for nearly 30 years, said it is good the problem has finally gotten the governor’s attention.
“They’ve been pressuring him for a long time and hopefully he’ll come down and actually visit us,” Carlton said, but she is disappointed “there’s still no aid to the individuals.”
The declaration instead opens state resources, such as emergency personnel, equipment and services. In an email, the city of Rancho Palos Verdes said it continues to urge state leaders and agencies to ask President Joe Biden to declare a federal disaster, which would trigger resources and possible individual help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Nearly 70 years ago, the Portuguese Bend landslide in Rancho Palos Verdes was triggered with the construction of a road through the area, which sits atop an ancient landslide. It destroyed 140 homes at the time and the land has moved ever since.
But the once slow-moving landslides began to rapidly accelerate after torrential rains drenched Southern California over the past two years. The land that once was sliding at an average of several inches per year is now moving between 9 to 12 inches (22.8 to 30.48 centimeters) weekly.
The rapid movement forced the dismantling earlier this year of Wayfarers Chapel, a historic landmark designed by Frank Lloyd Wright’s son, Lloyd Wright. Scenic roads that wind through the city have been buckling, too. Signs warn motorists of dips and the shifting, disfigured terrain.
“Bicycles and motorcycles use extreme caution,” reads one sign. “Rough road” and “Slide area,” read others.
Mike Phipps, the city’s geologist, said the average rate of movement has slightly slowed but is still about 4 feet (1.2 meters) a month. “It’s still significant movement. It’s just, we’ve kind of reached full speed and are cruising right now,” he said.
Some residents believe leaks are to blame for the destruction in their community. They argue multiple burst water and sewer pipes that were not quickly or adequately fixed saturated the ground and contributed to the land movement.
Residents recently filed a lawsuit against the city, its water provider and others, alleging in part that negligence and their failure to act were “substantial factors” in the landslide acceleration “and the resulting damage to the homes and lives of the residents.”
The city said it doesn’t comment on pending litigation.
Jeffrey R. Knott, emeritus professor in geological sciences at California State University, Fullerton likened the argument to the chicken or the egg dilemma.
“Did the landslide move and cause the pipe to break? Or did the pipe break and then cause the landslide to move?” he said. “It’s an extraordinarily difficult thing to prove.”
Water leaks would contribute to the acceleration, but their significance is unknown, Knott added.
Last year, the city received a $23.3 million grant from FEMA for a project that officials hoped would slow the land movement by removing trapped water underground and stop rain from percolating into it in the future. But crews recently discovered a deeper and wider landslide.
“It’s like a freight train going down the hill. It’s billions of tons of earth,” Phipps said. “Trying to stop that is extremely challenging.”
Mayor John Cruikshank said finding funding for solutions poses challenges, as does preparing for the forthcoming rainy season.
“The climate is changing, and we’ve got to be more resilient,” he said. “We can’t always rely on old systems like above-ground wire and below-ground natural gas.”
In the meantime, residents are left with difficult decisions.
Those with collapsed or severely damaged homes have had to abandon them. Others, like Carlton’s neighbors, left after their utilities were shut off indefinitely. Some are relying on generators to keep the lights on and propane to cook.
Others, like Mardesic, are hoping for relocation assistance and said that without help they are stuck and unable to afford anything in Southern California’s pricey housing market. Mardesic’s house was valued at about $2.3 million before the damage, he said.
“What can we do but keep fixing our home and try to stay here?” said Mardesic, a maintenance supervisor. “We have nowhere to go.”
For now, his family plans to move into the pool house in the back that is less at risk of falling down the hillside.
___
The Associated Press receives support from the Walton Family Foundation for coverage of water and environmental policy. The AP is solely responsible for all content. For all of AP’s environmental coverage, visit https://apnews.com/hub/climate-and-environment.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- 2 Phoenix officers shot with 1 listed in critical condition, police say
- Afghan refugee pleads no contest to 2 murders in case that shocked Albuquerque’s Muslim community
- Police say 11-year-old used 2 guns to kill former Louisiana mayor and his daughter
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Harris and Walz talk Cabinet hires and a viral DNC moment in CNN interview | The Excerpt
- How does the birth control pill work? What you need to know about going on the pill.
- Stock market today: Wall Street tumbles on worries about the economy, and Dow drops more than 600
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- 22 Ohio counties declared natural disaster areas due to drought
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Ryan Reynolds honors late 'Roseanne' producer Eric Gilliland: 'It's a tragedy he's gone'
- What’s Stalling Electric Vehicle Adoption in Wyoming?
- Mountain lion attacks boy at California picnic; animal later euthanized with firearm
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Maui wildfire report details how communities can reduce the risk of similar disasters
- Man sentenced to over 1 year in prison for thousands of harassing calls to congressional offices
- Frances Tiafoe advanced to the US Open semifinals after Grigor Dimitrov retired injured
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Bachelorette’s Jenn Tran Details Her Next Chapter After Split From Devin Strader
Ugandan opposition figure Bobi Wine is shot and wounded in a confrontation with police
Nordstrom family offers to take department store private for $3.76 billion with Mexican retail group
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Another heat wave headed for the west. Here are expert tips to keep cool.
No prison time but sexual offender registry awaits former deputy and basketball star
Kelly Ripa's Daughter Lola Consuelos Wears Her Mom's Dress From 30 Years Ago