Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Justin Timberlake's lawyer says singer wasn't drunk, 'should not have been arrested' -VisionFunds
Rekubit-Justin Timberlake's lawyer says singer wasn't drunk, 'should not have been arrested'
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 16:23:20
Justin Timberlake's lawyer has an interesting line of defense in his DWI case: he was never drunk in the first place.
In a statement obtained by Variety and RekubitCNN, his attorney Edward Burke Jr. told reporters Timberlake was "not intoxicated" at the time of his DWI arrest in Sag Harbor, New York last month.
“The most important fact to know about this case is that Justin was not intoxicated and should not have been arrested for DWI,” Timberlake's lawyer Edward Burke said in a statement, according to the entertainment outlets, later adding that police "made a number of very significant errors in this case.”
The statement continued: "Justin respects law enforcement and the very important job that they do. He cooperated with the police officers at all times and treated them with the respect they deserve. He also respects the entire judicial process including the District Attorney and Judge who were in court today."
Timberlake was apprehended by police in the Hamptons at 12:37 a.m. on June 18, according to a press release from the Sag Harbor Village Police Department at the time. Sag Harbor is part of the Hamptons, about 100 miles east of New York City.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Timberlake was pulled over in his 2025 BMW after failing to stop at a stop sign and "maintain his lane of travel." "Upon investigation it was determined that Mr. Timberlake was operating his vehicle in an intoxicated position," according to the Sag Harbor Village Police Department. Timberlake's next court date is July 26.
'Dirty Pop':All the revelations from Netflix's new Lou Pearlman documentary
'I'm hard to love': Timberlake acknowledges arrest to fans at concert
Later, Timberlake addressed fans at a Chicago concert in an apparent response to his DWI arrest and the “Selfish” singer, 43, told the audience at his concert at the United Center in late June.
“We’ve been together through ups and downs, lefts and rights,” Timberlake said in a video from the event posted by fan accounts. “It’s been a tough week, but you’re here and I’m here, and nothing can change this moment right now.”
“I know sometimes I’m hard to love, but you keep on loving me and I love you right back. Thank you so much!” Timberlake continued, after a brief pause from bowing to the crowd following a display of claps and cheers.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- New York moves to update its fracking ban to include liquid carbon-dioxide as well as water
- 6 former Mississippi officers to be sentenced over torture of two Black men
- Selling Sunset's Bre Tiesi Looks Unrecognizable With New Blonde Transformation
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Remains of WWII soldier from Alabama accounted for 8 decades after German officer handed over his ID tags
- Gannett news chain says it will stop using AP content for first time in a century
- Blake Snell, a two-time Cy Young winner, agrees to a two-year deal with the Giants
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Jimmie Allen's former manager agrees to drop sexual assault lawsuit, stands by accusation
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- University of Maryland lifts Greek life ban, hazing investigation into five chapters continues
- Lollapalooza lineup 2024: SZA, Blink-182, The Killers among headliners
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Dust-up
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Drones and robots could replace some field workers as farming goes high-tech
- What are seed oils? What you need to know about the food group deemed the 'hateful eight'
- Police confirm a blanket found during search for missing Wisconsin boy belongs to the 3-year-old
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Minnesota court rules pharmacist discriminated against woman in denying emergency contraception
Pete Guelli hired as chief operating officer of the NFL’s Buffalo Bills and NHL’s Sabres
Gardening bloomed during the pandemic. Garden centers hope would-be green thumbs stay interested
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Why 10 Things I Hate About You Actor Andrew Keegan Finally Addressed Cult Leader Claims
US women will shoot for 8th straight gold as 2024 Paris Olympics basketball draw announced
Sergeant faulted for actions before Maine mass shooting is running for sheriff