Current:Home > InvestGuam investigates fatal shooting of Korean visitor and offers $50,000 reward for information -VisionFunds
Guam investigates fatal shooting of Korean visitor and offers $50,000 reward for information
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 13:00:02
HAGATNA, Guam (AP) — Authorities in the U.S. territory of Guam on Friday vowed to bring to justice those who fatally shot a South Korean visitor in a tourist district.
The shooting occurred shortly before 8 p.m. Thursday when the traveler and his wife were walking toward Tsubaki Towers, a hotel on Guam’s popular Tumon Bay, from nearby Gun Beach, KUAM-TV reported, citing police.
An older model, dark-colored SUV approached them from behind, Guam Police Chief Stephen Ignacio said at a news conference.
A passenger holding a gun got of the vehicle and demanded they hand over their belongings, Ignacio said, adding, “A struggle ensued.”
The victim was taken to Guam Regional Medical City, where he died from his injuries the next morning. He had been visiting Guam while celebrating his retirement.
The Guam Visitors Bureau has offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible.
Guam is an island of about 170,000 people approximately 3,900 miles (6,275 kilometers) west of Hawaii.
Its warm weather has made it a favored tourist destination for many nearby Asian nations. South Korea sent nearly 270,000 travelers to Guam in the first nine months of last year, more than any other country.
The island is also home to major Air Force and Navy installations. Its economy relies heavily on tourism and U.S. government spending.
In Kook Kim, the Korean consulate’s head of mission, urged Guam’s officials to act quickly.
“Arrest the suspect in no time and carry out a thorough investigation to bring them to justice,” he said at the news conference.
Carl Gutierrez, the CEO of the Guam Visitors Bureau, assured visitors that Guam is safe.
“We invite them here to a safe destination. We want to ensure that,” he said.
Guam’s governor met with the late victim’s wife.
“I consoled her, I hugged her, I cried with her. I prayed with her, knowing as a wife and a mother some of the pain that she is going through,” Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero said in a video message posted on Instagram.
She urged the people of Guam to come forward with information that would help solve the case.
“Guam remains a safe place, and we are continuing to do everything we can to keep it safe, not just for our people, but our visitors,” she said.
veryGood! (27)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Oh, the humanities: Can you guess the most-regretted college majors?
- Pilot declared emergency before plane crash that killed 3 members of The Nelons: NTSB
- 'I probably put my foot in my mouth': Zac Taylor comments on Ja'Marr Chase availability
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Baywatch’s Jeremy Jackson Confesses to Smelling Costars' Dirty Swimsuits
- Claim to Fame Finale Reveals Real Housewife's Brother: Find Out Who Won
- Paralympics TikTok account might seem like cruel joke, except to athletes
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Will Deion Sanders' second roster flip at Colorado work this time? Here's why and why not
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- California lawmakers pass bill that could make undocumented immigrants eligible for home loans
- Black Panther's Lupita Nyong’o Shares Heartbreaking Message 4 Years After Chadwick Boseman's Death
- A Pivotal Senate Race Could Make or Break Maryland’s Quest for Clean Energy Future
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Pilot declared emergency before plane crash that killed 3 members of The Nelons: NTSB
- Bold fantasy football predictions for 2024: Rashee Rice and other league-winning players
- Jack Del Rio, former NFL head coach, hired by Wisconsin's Luke Fickell
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
NFL places restrictions on Brady’s broadcasting access because of pending Raiders ownership stake
Robert Telles, ex-Las Vegas elected official, guilty in murder of journalist
SEC to release player availability reports as a sports-betting safeguard
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
4 killed, 10 injured when passenger van rolls several times in Texas highway crash
Nikki Garcia's Husband Artem Chigvintsev Arrested for Domestic Violence
Zappos Labor Day 60% Off Sale: Insane Deals Start at $10 Plus $48 Uggs, $31 Crocs & $60 On Cloud Sneakers