Current:Home > FinanceMaryland program to help Port of Baltimore businesses retain employees begins -VisionFunds
Maryland program to help Port of Baltimore businesses retain employees begins
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:47:56
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Maryland Gov. Wes Moore announced on Friday the start of a program to help Port of Baltimore businesses retain employees in the aftermath of the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse.
The $12.5 million program aims to prevent layoffs while recovery work continues. The program was created by executive order and authorized by emergency legislation the governor signed on Tuesday.
“We must do everything in our power to support the 8,000 Port workers whose jobs have been directly affected by the collapse of the Key Bridge — and the thousands more who have been touched by this crisis,” Moore, a Democrat, said in a news release.
The program is being run by the state’s labor department.
“The Worker Retention Program will keep Port businesses in operation and workers able to earn income and support their families as the U.S. Army Corps and others work to get the shipping channels reopened,” said Maryland Secretary of Labor Portia Wu.
Under the program, entities eligible for up to $200,000 in grants include businesses that employ up to 500 workers, unions, trade associations, and organizations that have had operations hindered or completely halted by the port slowdown.
Up to $7,500 can be spent per worker on wages or other support.
Businesses that receive funding under the program must demonstrate an effort to the fullest extent to avoid layoffs and maintain workforce hours, rates of pay, and benefits that were in effect before the port’s reduced operations.
Allowable expenses include supportive services for workers, such as subsidizing child care and transportation costs as well as payroll expenses as part of participation in the Work Sharing Unemployment Insurance Program.
The governor’s office said other relief programs that were authorized by the legislation signed into law this week will start on April 22.
One of them provides grants of up to $100,000 to eligible businesses that have had operations impacted or shipments disrupted at the port. To be eligible, businesses must demonstrate economic and financial injury through a reduction in business revenue and activity, or increased costs to business operations.
The Department of Commerce: Port of Baltimore Emergency Business Assistance Program will begin accepting applications.
Another program will make a total of $15 million in loans and grants available to businesses that have been affected by a loss of revenue or increased costs, under the Neighborhood BusinessWorks program administered by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development.
The Small Business Grants Program will have $5 million to offer grants up to $50,000 to small businesses within a 5-mile radius of the Key Bridge, and the Business Loan Program will have $10 million to offer loans up to $500,000 to businesses impacted by the Key Bridge collapse or reduction in Port activity statewide.
The container ship Dali was leaving Baltimore, laden with cargo and headed for Sri Lanka, when it struck one of the bridge’s supporting columns last month, causing the span to collapse into the Patapsco River. Six members of a roadwork crew were killed.
veryGood! (536)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- En busca de soluciones para los parques infantiles donde el calor quema
- Buying or selling a home? Here are Tennessee's top real-estate firms
- Browns QB Deshaun Watson won't ask for designed runs: 'I'm not a running back'
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Evacuation order lifted for Ohio town where dangerous chemical leak occurred
- How New York City Is Getting Screwed Out of $4.2 Billion in State Green Bonds
- Revisiting 2024 PCCAs Host Shania Twain’s Evolution That Will Impress You Very Much
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Erradicar el riesgo: el reto de Cicero para construir un parque inclusivo que sea seguro
Ranking
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Alabama to carry out the 2nd nitrogen gas execution in the US
- Hurricane Helene threatens ‘unsurvivable’ storm surge and vast inland damage, forecasters say
- Republican Wisconsin congressman falsely suggests city clerk was lying about absentee ballots
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- How Rooted Books in Nebraska is combatting book bans: 'We really, really care'
- Opinion: UNLV's QB mess over NIL first of many to come until athletes are made employees
- No forgiveness: Family of Oklahoma man gunned down rejects death row inmate's pleas
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Hailey Bieber and Justin Bieber Step Out for Yummy Date Night After Welcoming Baby Jack
What is Galaxy Gas? New 'whippets' trend with nitrous oxide products sparks concerns
A Coal Miner Died Early Wednesday at an Alabama Mine With Dozens of Recent Safety Citations
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
The Daily Money: DOJ sues Visa
Biden wants to make active shooter drills in schools less traumatic for students
Suspect arrested after Tucson junior college student killed on the University of Arizona campus