Current:Home > MarketsAfter months of intense hearings, final report on Lewiston mass shooting to be released -VisionFunds
After months of intense hearings, final report on Lewiston mass shooting to be released
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 13:31:59
LEWISTON, Maine (AP) — After more than a dozen public meetings, scores of witnesses and thousands of pages of evidence, a special commission created to investigate the deadliest shooting in Maine history is ready to issue its final report on Tuesday.
The independent commission began its work a month after the Oct. 25 mass shooting by an Army reservist that killed 18 people at a bowling alley and a bar and grill in Lewiston. Over nine months, there has been emotional testimony from family members and survivors of the shooting, law enforcement officials and U.S. Army Reserves personnel, and others.
The commission created by Gov. Janet Mills will hold a news conference to release the full report at Lewiston City Hall — less than 3 miles from (5 kilometers) from the two sites where the shootings took place.
It’s unclear if the report will contain any surprises. An interim report released in March said law enforcement should have seized the shooter’s guns and put him in protective custody weeks before the shootings.
The commission’s public hearings revealed the swift response by police to the shootings, but also the ensuing chaos during the massive search for the gunman. Also revealed were missed opportunities to stop the shooter, 40-year-old Robert Card, an Army Reservist whose mental health was spiraling.
Card’s sister testified at a hearing, her hand resting on his military helmet as she spoke.
Kathleen Walker, whose husband Jason was killed while rushing at Card to try to stop him, also testified, and said: “The system failed, and we can’t allow this to happen again.”
Family members and fellow reservists said Card had exhibited delusional and paranoid behavior months before the shootings. He was hospitalized by the Army during training in July 2023, but a commanding officer acknowledged not checking to ensure compliance on follow-up care.
The starkest warning came in September when a fellow reservist texted an Army supervisor, saying, “I believe he’s going to snap and do a mass shooting.” Card was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a search that followed the shootings.
Army officials conducted their own investigation after the shootings that Lt. Gen. Jody Daniels, then the chief of the Army Reserves, said found “a series of failures by unit leadership.” Three Army Reserve officers were disciplined for dereliction of duty, according to the report, which noted communication failures within the chain of command and between military and civilian hospitals.
Maine’s legislature passed new guns laws for the state, which has a tradition of firearms ownership, in the wake of the shootings. A three-day waiting period for gun purchases went into effect earlier this month.
The Lewiston commission is chaired by Daniel Wathen, a former chief justice of Maine’s highest court. The seven-member commission also included two former federal prosecutors, two additional former judges, a psychiatrist and executive at a psychiatric hospital, and the state’s former chief forensic psychologist.
veryGood! (951)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Migrant caravan slogs on through southern Mexico with no expectations from a US-Mexico meeting
- Kamar de los Reyes, One Life to Live actor, dies at 56
- Actor Lee Sun-kyun of Oscar-winning film ‘Parasite’ dies
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Buffalo Bills playoff clinching scenarios for NFL Week 17: It's simple. Win and get in.
- US ambassador thanks Japan for defense upgrade and allowing a Patriot missile sale to US
- Spirit Airlines Accidentally Recreates Home Alone 2 After 6-Year-Old Boards Wrong Fight
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- UN appoints a former Dutch deputy premier and Mideast expert as its Gaza humanitarian coordinator
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Mexico’s army-run airline takes to the skies, with first flight to the resort of Tulum
- Beer battered fillets stocked at Whole Foods recalled nationwide over soy allergen
- This oil company invests in pulling CO2 out of the sky — so it can keep selling crude
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Alabama agency completes review of fatal police shooting in man’s front yard
- 9 people have died in wild weather in Australian states of Queensland and Victoria, officials say
- Ukraine snubs Russia, celebrates Christmas on Dec. 25 for first time
Recommendation
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Hey, that gift was mine! Toddler opens entire family's Christmas gifts at 3 am
Ukraine snubs Russia, celebrates Christmas on Dec. 25 for first time
Former Pakistani premier Nawaz Sharif will seek a fourth term in office, his party says
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Their lives were torn apart by war in Africa. A family hopes a new US program will help them reunite
A Greek air force training jet crashes outside a southern base and search is underway for the pilot
I Placed 203 Amazon Orders This Year, Here Are the 39 Underrated Products You Should Know About