Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-International Ice Hockey Federation makes neck guards mandatory after Adam Johnson death -VisionFunds
SignalHub-International Ice Hockey Federation makes neck guards mandatory after Adam Johnson death
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 12:18:43
The SignalHubInternational Ice Hockey Federation announced Monday that it is making neck guards mandatory for all levels of competition in the tournaments it runs, including the Olympics and men’s and women’s world championships.
The mandate would not apply to professional leagues, including the NHL, which currently does not have any cut-proof safety requirements for players. Any sort of mandate in the NHL would require an agreement between the league and players’ union, which have been discussing skate blade safety for years.
The IIHF’s move comes after the death of American Adam Johnson, whose neck was cut by a skate blade during a game in England in late October. Johnson’s death at age 29 is being investigated, and the on-ice tragedy has sparked significant debate around the sport about the need for more protection of the neck, wrists and legs.
The exact date for the IIHF neck guard mandate to go into effect is still to be determined, based on the supply of neck guards available.
“The IIHF remains in close contact with its suppliers to ensure they are able to respond to the current high demand,” the organization said. “Until the rule officially goes into effect, the IIHF continues to strongly recommend that neck laceration protectors are worn by all players performing in an IIHF competition.”
Before now, the IIHF initially had neck protection rules only for under-20 and under-18 play, so neck guards were already mandatory in tournaments like the world junior championship. The organization that governs hockey around the world decided to widen the order based on the recommendation of its medical committee.
The English Ice Hockey Association, which governs the sport below the Elite League where Johnson played, reacted to his death by requiring all players in England to wear neck guards beginning in 2024. Similar to the IIHF, the mandate was not immediate because of supply issues.
NHL VP of hockey operations Rod Pasma addressed general managers last month on cut-proof equipment. Pasma said players have far more options than a decade ago, including 10 or more choices for wrist, body and Achilles tendon/foot protection but fewer options for neck guards.
“In the neck, we’re getting there,” Pasma said. “We (did not have) many a month ago, but as it sits today, I think there’s up to eight companies on my desk waiting to be cleared, and of those eight there’s probably 12-14 options to wear, should they choose.”
Several NHL players, including Washington’s T.J. Oshie and Tampa Bay’s Cole Koepke, have donned neck guards for games this season in light of Johnson’s death.
“NHL guys, I think it’s super important that they know it’s going to be available,” Oshie said. “We’re grown men. If you don’t want to do it, you don’t. At least now, middle of season, I don’t know if it’s necessary to mandate it, but you can make your own choices. I made my choice for my kids. I want to stick around from them. Just trying to decrease the chance of injury.”
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- European Union to rush more than $2 billion to disaster-hit Greece, using untapped funds
- Proof Nicki Minaj Is Living in a Barbie World at the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards
- 1 student dead, another arrested after shooting at Louisiana high school
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Journalist sues NFL, alleging discrimination and racially charged statements by NFL owners
- Investigation shows armed officer was hostage at home of Grammy winner who was killed by police
- Venice may be put on the endangered list, thanks to human-created climate change
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Missouri clinic halts transgender care for minors in wake of new state law
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Jets QB Aaron Rodgers has torn left Achilles tendon, AP source says. He’s likely to miss the season
- Looking for a refill? McDonald’s is saying goodbye to self-serve soda in the coming years
- Norway’s conservative opposition wins local elections with nearly 26% of the votes
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- How an extramarital affair factors into Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s impeachment trial
- Former New York City police commissioner Howard Safir dies
- Argentina beats altitude and Bolivia 3-0 in World Cup qualifier despite no Messi
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
You could be the next owner of Neil Armstrong's former Texas home: Take a look inside
Former top Trump aide Mark Meadows seeks pause of court order keeping criminal case in Fulton County court
A new documentary reexamines the Louis CK scandal, 6 years later
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
After nearly a month, West Virginia community can use water again
NASA astronaut breaks record for longest trip to space by an American
California’s Assembly votes for ballot measure that would change how mental health care is funded