Current:Home > MarketsWoman alleges Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs raped her on video in latest lawsuit -VisionFunds
Woman alleges Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs raped her on video in latest lawsuit
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 11:25:51
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Another woman sued Sean “Diddy” Combs on Tuesday, alleging that the music mogul and his head of security raped her and recorded it on video at his New York recording studio in 2001.
The lawsuit filed in federal court in New York, the latest of several similar suits against Combs, comes a week after he was was arrested and a federal sex trafficking indictment against him was unsealed.
Thalia Graves alleges that when she was 25 and dating an executive who worked for Combs in the summer of 2001, Combs and Joseph Sherman lured her to a meeting at Bad Boy Recording Studios. She said they picked her up in an SUV and during the ride gave her a drink “likely laced with a drug.”
According to the lawsuit, Graves lost consciousness and awoke to find herself bound inside Combs’ office and lounge at the studio. The two men raped her, slapped her, slammed her head against a pool table and ignored her screams and cries for help, the lawsuit alleges.
At a news conference in Los Angeles with one of her attorneys, Gloria Allred, Graves said she has suffered from “flashbacks, nightmares and intrusive thoughts” in the years since.
“It has been hard for me to trust others to form healthy relationships or even feel safe in my own skin,” Graves said, crying as she read from a statement.
She said it is “a pain that reaches into your very core of who you are and leaves emotional scars that may never fully heal.”
Combs remains jailed without bail in New York on federal charges alleging that he ran a vast network that facilitated sexual crimes and committed shocking acts of violence, using blackmail and other tactics to protect Combs and those close to him.
He pleaded not guilty to racketeering conspiracy and sex trafficking. His attorney said he is innocent and will fight to clear his name. His representatives did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment on the latest lawsuit. There was no immediate indication from the lawsuit or from Combs’ representatives whether Sherman had a separate attorney who could comment on the allegations.
Graves’ lawsuit also alleges that late last year, after Combs’ former singing protege and girlfriend Cassie filed a lawsuit that began the surge of allegations against him, Graves learned through her former boyfriend that Combs had recorded her rape, shown it to others and sold it as pornography.
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they have been sexually abused, unless they come forward publicly as Graves and Cassie, whose legal name is Casandra Ventura, have done.
Graves’ lawsuit says both Combs and Sherman contacted her multiple times in the years after the assault, threatening repercussions if she told anyone what had happened to her. She was in a divorce and custody fight at the time and feared losing her young son if she revealed anything, the suit says.
Graves said at the news conference that the guilt and shame attached “often made me feel worthless, isolated and sometimes responsible for what happened to me.”
The lawsuit seeks damages to be determined at trial and for all copies of the video to be accounted for and destroyed.
It also names as defendants several companies owned by Combs, the three-time Grammy winner and founder of Bad Boy Records who was among the most influential hip-hop producers and executives of the past three decades.
veryGood! (825)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Virginia 4th graders fall ill after eating gummy bears contaminated with fentanyl
- Julia Roberts on where her iconic movie characters would be today, from Mystic Pizza to Pretty Woman
- Buying a car? FTC reveals new CARS Rule to protect consumers from illegal dealership scams
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Kyiv protesters demand more spending on the Ukraine’s war effort and less on local projects
- Zelenskyy makes first visit to US military headquarters in Germany, voices optimism about US aid
- Hong Kong places arrest bounties on activists abroad for breaching national security law
- Sam Taylor
- Roger Goodell responds to criticism of NFL officials for Kadarius Toney penalty
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Amazon rift: Five things to know about the dispute between an Indigenous chief and Belgian filmmaker
- Here's How You Can Score Free Shipping on EVERYTHING During Free Shipping Day 2023
- In Giuliani defamation trial, Ruby Freeman says she received hundreds of racist messages after she was targeted online
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Right groups say Greece has failed to properly investigate claims it mishandled migrant tragedy
- Dow hits record high as investors cheer Fed outlook on interest rates
- Australia cricketer Khawaja wears a black armband after a ban on his ‘all lives are equal’ shoes
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Taylor Lautner Shares Insight Into 2009 Breakup With Taylor Swift
Finland to close again entire border with Russia as reopening of 2 crossing points lures migrants
US applications for jobless benefits fall again as labor market continues to thrive
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
NBA All-Star George McGinnis dies at 73 after complications from a cardiac arrest
Lawmaker’s suspension means a possible special election and more trouble for U.K. Conservatives
The Scarf Jacket Is Winter’s Most Viral Trend, Get It for $27 With These Steals from Amazon and More