Current:Home > InvestAn armed man found dead at an amusement park researched mass shootings. His plan is still a mystery -VisionFunds
An armed man found dead at an amusement park researched mass shootings. His plan is still a mystery
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 18:25:39
DENVER (AP) — A heavily armed man who was found dead at a Colorado mountaintop amusement park last year had researched mass shootings online, but investigators haven’t determined why he amassed such an arsenal or didn’t follow through on “whatever he was planning,” authorities said Thursday.
The body of Diego Barajas Medina, who died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, was found in a bathroom at the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park on the morning of Oct. 28 in a building that houses a ride that drops 110-feet deep into caverns. His body was surrounded by alcohol and weapons, according to a previously released 911 call. The words “I’m not a killer. I just wanted to get in the cave” were written neatly on the bathroom wall.
The discovery led to the belief that Medina, who entered the park when it was closed, could have been planning to launch a deadly attack at the attraction located above the Colorado River in western Colorado. But three months later, his intentions remain a mystery.
The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office said in a written update on its investigation that it was “unable to uncover any motive for Diego amassing such a lethal arsenal nor did it explain what happened to change his mind and why he did not follow through with whatever he was planning.”
Despite the 911 call’s description, no alcohol or illegal drugs were found in his system and there was no evidence that he had been working with others or was a member of an extremist group, the sheriff’s office said. He also didn’t have a criminal record or any known ties to the park. Friends, family and school officials described Medina as “a bit of loner,” it said.
“In the end, Diego took his own life in the women’s restroom at the Amusement Park for reasons known only to him,” it said.
Medina’s family has never spoken publicly about what happened. His brother didn’t immediatley respond to an email seeking comment and a person who answered his phone hung up when reached by The Associated Press.
Medina, who lived with his mother and brother, was dressed in black tactical clothing with patches and emblems that made it look like he had law enforcement links. He had a semi-automatic rifle, a semi-automatic handgun and multiple loaded magazines for each gun, as well as several hundred rounds of ammunition, the sheriff’s office said. He also had real and fake homemade explosive devices.
Medina legally acquired all of his weapons, ammunition and tactical gear online, the sheriff’s office said. Both guns were determined to be so-called ghost guns, which are untraceable firearms that lack a serial number and that anyone can buy and build without passing a background check, it said.
“The Sheriff’s Office acknowledges that given amount of weaponry, ammunition, and explosive devices found, Diego could have implemented an attack of devastating proportions on our community resulting in multiple injuries and possibly death to members of the public as well as first responders. As a community, we are fortunate and thankful that this did not happen,” the sheriff’s office said.
_____
Associated Press writer Jesse Bedayn contributed to this report.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- These Are the Black Beauty Founders Transforming the Industry
- UN Report: Despite Falling Energy Demand, Governments Set on Increasing Fossil Fuel Production
- When Will Renewables Pass Coal? Sooner Than Anyone Thought
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Surgeon shot to death in suburban Memphis clinic
- Former Broadway actor James Beeks acquitted of Jan. 6 charges
- DWTS’ Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Welcome Baby Boy on Father's Day
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Ecuador’s High Court Affirms Constitutional Protections for the Rights of Nature in a Landmark Decision
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Gwen Stefani Gives Father's Day Shout-Out to Blake Shelton After Gavin Rossdale Parenting Comments
- Celebrity Makeup Artists Reveal the Only Lipstick Hacks You'll Ever Need
- Days of Our Lives Actor Cody Longo's Cause of Death Revealed
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- The Essential Advocate, Philippe Sands Makes the Case for a New International Crime Called Ecocide
- The Sweet Way Travis Barker Just Addressed Kourtney Kardashian's Pregnancy
- The Senate's Ticketmaster hearing featured plenty of Taylor Swift puns and protesters
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
8 Simple Hacks to Prevent Chafing
M&M's replaces its spokescandies with Maya Rudolph after Tucker Carlson's rants
Inside Clean Energy: Here Is How Covid Is Affecting Some of the Largest Wind, Solar and Energy Storage Projects
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Congress tightens U.S. manufacturing rules after battery technology ends up in China
A big bank's big mistake, explained
The U.S. economy ended 2022 on a high note. This year is looking different