Current:Home > StocksOliver James Montgomery-California regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030 -VisionFunds
Oliver James Montgomery-California regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:17:54
SAN LUIS OBISPO,Oliver James Montgomery Calif. (AP) — California energy regulators voted Thursday to allow the Diablo Canyon nuclear plant to operate for an additional five years, despite calls from environmental groups to shut it down.
The California Public Utilities Commission agreed to extend the shutdown date for the state’s last functioning nuclear power facility through 2030 instead of closing it in 2025 as previously agreed.
Separately, the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission will consider whether to extend the plant’s operating licenses.
The twin reactors, located midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, began operating in the mid-1980s. They supply up to 9% of the state’s electricity on any given day.
The Public Utilities Commission’s decision marks the latest development in a long fight over the operation and safety of the plant, which sits on a bluff above the Pacific Ocean.
In August, a state judge rejected a lawsuit filed by Friends of the Earth that sought to block Pacific Gas & Electric, which operates the plant, from seeking to extend its operating life.
And in October, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission rejected a request from environmental groups to immediately shut down one of two reactors.
PG&E agreed in 2016 to shutter the plant by 2025, but at the direction of the state changed course and now intends to seek a longer operating run for the plant, which doesn’t produce greenhouse gases that can contribute to climate change.
Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, who once was a leading voice to close the plant, said last year that Diablo Canyon’s power is needed beyond 2025 to ward off possible blackouts as California transitions to solar and other renewable energy sources.
Activists condemned the extension and noted that the projected costs of continuing to run the aging plant are expected to top $6 billion.
“This ill-conceived decision will further escalate financial strain on California ratepayers and extend the threat of a catastrophe at Diablo Canyon,” said Ken Cook, president of the nonprofit Environmental Working Group.
“With California’s annual renewable energy additions exceeding Diablo Canyon’s output, there is zero reason to keep it running,” he added in a statement.
veryGood! (53)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- What's the value of a pet prenup agreement? This married couple has thoughts
- Colorado won't take questions from journalist who was critical of Deion Sanders
- Christina Hall's Ex Ant Anstead Calls Himself Lucky Boy While Praising Girlfriend Renée Zellweger
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- TikTok Organization Pro Emilie Kiser’s Top Tips & Must-Have Products for a Clean, Organized Life
- Meet Virgo, the Zodiac's helpful perfectionist: The sign's personality traits, months
- Delaware election officials communicated with lieutenant governor’s office amid finance scandal
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- New Orleans is finally paying millions of dollars in decades-old legal judgments
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- NASA decision against using a Boeing capsule to bring astronauts back adds to company’s problems
- Houston’s Plastic Waste, Waiting More Than a Year for ‘Advanced’ Recycling, Piles up at a Business Failed Three Times by Fire Marshal
- Hailey Bieber Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Justin Bieber
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Row house fire in Philadelphia kills woman, girl; man, boy taken to hospitals with 3rd-degree burns
- A rare but deadly mosquito virus infection has Massachusetts towns urging vigilance
- Under sea and over land, the Paris Paralympics flame is beginning an exceptional journey
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
5-year-old Utah boy accidentally kills himself with a handgun he found in his parents’ bedroom
Gossip Girl's Jessica Szohr Shares Look Inside Star-Studded Wedding to Brad Richardson
NASCAR at Daytona summer 2024: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Coke Zero Sugar 400
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Colorado won't take questions from journalist who was critical of Deion Sanders
Row house fire in Philadelphia kills woman, girl; man, boy taken to hospitals with 3rd-degree burns
Human remains found in Washington national forest believed to be missing 2013 hiker