Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|A survivor is pulled out of a Zambian mine nearly a week after being trapped. Dozens remain missing -VisionFunds
Robert Brown|A survivor is pulled out of a Zambian mine nearly a week after being trapped. Dozens remain missing
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 15:37:02
LUSAKA,Robert Brown Zambia (AP) — A man has been pulled alive out of a Zambian mine nearly a week after dozens of informal miners were trapped under landslides caused by heavy rain, rescuers said Wednesday.
Two bodies were also retrieved from underneath debris at the open-pit mine in the southern African country’s Copperbelt province. Government officials said more than 30 miners could still be trapped underground, although they were uncertain of the exact number.
The 49-year-old survivor was rescued Tuesday night, according to a statement by Zambia’s Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit. He told rescuers he had been struggling for five days to find a way out of one of the collapsed tunnels at the copper mine near the city of Chingola, around 400 kilometers (250 miles) north of the capital, Lusaka, the statement said.
The man was taken to the hospital, rescuers said. They gave no details on his medical condition but said he was able to talk to officials from his hospital bed.
One body was recovered a few hours after the miner’s rescue and a second body was found and taken out later Wednesday, but they were yet to be identified, the Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit said.
The bodies are the first to be recovered following the disaster last week.
After the rescue, government officials told reporters that 38 families had reported missing relatives, but those reports had to be verified. The government has previously said more than 30 miners were trapped, while the district commissioner of the area has said at least 36 miners were underground when the landslides hit, burying them.
Authorities have found it difficult to give an exact count of how many were inside the three tunnels because they are suspected to be illegal miners who were digging during the night to look for copper ore without the knowledge of the mine owner.
“Officially we have about 38 people whose families have come to claim they are missing.” Copperbelt minister Elisha Matambo said.
Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema visited the mine on Tuesday and said he hoped that there were survivors. A rescuer said earlier in the week that they had heard multiple voices coming from under the rubble at one of the tunnel sites and raised hope there would be survivors, although he said there were likely to be numerous deaths, too.
Rescue teams have been working constantly since last Friday to clear the debris and pump water out of the pit where the tunnels are, but the efforts have been complicated by more rain, which left one of the sites completely flooded.
Police said over the weekend that all of the miners were presumed dead and had likely drowned in the tunnels. It released seven names or partial names and announced they had died. The public statement was criticized by the government, which said it was too early to declare them dead.
Zambia is among the top 10 copper producers in the world and Chingola has large open-pit mines, some of them stretching for kilometers (miles). They are surrounded by huge waste piles of rocks and earth that have been dug out of the mines. The government said debris from one of the waste piles collapsed on the miners’ tunnels.
Illegal mining is common in the area, where artisanal miners go into mines without the knowledge of the owners to try and find and extract copper deposits, usually without any proper safety procedures.
On his visit, Hichilema said authorities were just focusing on saving lives.
“Here there is no illegal miner. Our job is to take our people out of the pit,” he said. “Our commitment is to do everything to save the lives that are down there.”
___
Mukwazhi reported from Harare, Zimbabwe.
___
AP Africa news: https://apnews.com/hub/africa
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to an estimated $875 million after no winner in Friday's drawing
- 3 people killed, infant in critical condition after SUV slams into bus shelter in San Francisco
- Usher, Fantasia Barrino, ‘Color Purple’ honored at 55th NAACP Image Awards
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Years after her stepdad shot her in the face, Michigan woman gets a new nose
- 'Spring cleaning' for your finances: 12 money moves to make right now
- 'Kung Fu Panda 4' tops box office for second week with $30M, beats 'Dune: Part Two'
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- 8-year-old Kentucky boy dies after eating strawberries at school fundraiser: Reports
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Watch Rob Kardashian's Sweet Birthday Tribute From Khloe Kardashian's Kids True and Tatum Thompson
- Biden faces Irish backlash over Israel-Hamas war ahead of St. Patrick's Day event with Ireland's leader
- Book excerpt: The Morningside by Téa Obreht
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Luck of Irish not needed to save some green on St. Patrick's Day food and drink deals
- Suspect in Oakland store killing is 13-year-old boy who committed another armed robbery, police say
- Riley Strain disappearance timeline: What we know about the missing college student
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
UConn is the big favorite in East regional. Florida Atlantic could be best sleeper pick
Horoscopes Today, March 16, 2024
KC Current's new stadium raises the bar for women's sports: 'Can't unsee what we've done'
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire merges original cast and new talent 40 years after the movie premiered
Nickelodeon actors allege abuse in 'Quiet on Set' doc: These former child stars have spoken up
Man faces charges in two states after alleged killings of family members in Pennsylvania