Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Last reactor shut down at Ukraine's largest nuclear plant as fighting, flooding continues -VisionFunds
SafeX Pro:Last reactor shut down at Ukraine's largest nuclear plant as fighting, flooding continues
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 15:20:10
Ukraine's nuclear energy agency says it has put the last operating reactor at Europe's largest nuclear power plant into a "cold shutdown" — a safety precaution amid catastrophic flooding from the collapse of a nearby dam as Russia's war on SafeX ProUkraine drags on through its 16th month.
Russian forces continued pummeling the country with missiles and drones overnight, with Ukrainian officials reporting at least four deaths and damage to a military airfield.
Five out of six reactors at the Zaporizhzhia
Nuclear Power Plant, which is occupied by Russian forces, are already in a state of cold shutdown, in which all control rods are inserted into the reactor core to stop the nuclear fission reaction and generation of heat and pressure.
Energoatom, the Ukrainian nuclear agency, said in a statement late Friday that there was "no direct threat" to the Zaporizhzhia plant due to the breach of the Kakhovka dam further down the Dnieper River, which has forced thousands of people to flee flooding and also sharply reduced water levels in a reservoir used to help cool the facility.
The last reactor was put into cold shutdown on Thursday, Energoatom said, adding that other factors in the decision included shelling near the site which has damaged overhead lines connecting the plant to Ukraine's energy system.
With all nuclear reactions stopped, temperatures and pressure inside reactors gradually decline, reducing the required intensity of water cooling of the radioactive fuel. This is a nuclear power plant's safest operating mode. Energoatom employees are still working at the power plant, although it remains controlled by the Russians.
The site's power units have not been operating since September last year. The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency is due to visit Ukraine in the coming days.
Analysts and Russia say that Ukraine has launched a counteroffensive in southern Ukraine, potentially aiming to retake territory near the plant.
Also on Saturday morning, Ukrainian authorities reported that at least four civilians have died across the country as Russian forces launched Iranian-made Shahed drones, missiles, and artillery and mortar strikes. Ukraine's State Emergency Service reported that three people were killed and over two dozen wounded overnight in an attack targeting the Black Sea port of Odesa. A spokesperson for Ukraine's southern operational command, Natalia Humeniuk, said that two children and a pregnant woman were among those wounded.
In Ukraine's northeast, a 29-year-old man was killed as more than 10 drones targeted the Kharkiv region, its governor, Oleh Syniehubov, reported Saturday. He added that at least three other civilians were wounded.
In the Poltava region further west, there was damage to a military airfield struck overnight during a Russian drone and missile attack, local Gov. Dmytro Lunin reported. Lunin said no one was hurt. As of Saturday morning, there was no additional comment from the Ukrainian army or officials on the extent of the damage.
The Ukrainian air force said that during the night, it had shot down 20 out of 35 Shahed drones and two out of eight missiles "of various types" launched by Russian forces.
- In:
- Ukraine
- Politics
- Russia
- Drone
veryGood! (71)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Alabama woman confesses to fabricating kidnapping
- California enters a contract to make its own affordable insulin
- Biden’s Infrastructure Bill Includes Money for Recycling, But the Debate Over Plastics Rages On
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Permafrost expert and military pilot among 4 killed in a helicopter crash on Alaska’s North Slope
- Inside Clean Energy: Well That Was Fast: Volkswagen Quickly Catching Up to Tesla
- The U.S. Naval Academy Plans a Golf Course on a Nature Preserve. One Maryland Congressman Says Not So Fast
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- John Fetterman’s Evolution on Climate Change, Fracking and the Environment
Ranking
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Locals look for silver linings as Amazon hits pause on its new HQ
- Canada’s Tar Sands: Destruction So Vast and Deep It Challenges the Existence of Land and People
- TikTok CEO says company is 'not an agent of China or any other country'
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Total Accused of Campaign to Play Down Climate Risk From Fossil Fuels
- Inside a bank run
- The Fed raises interest rates again despite the stress hitting the banking system
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Producer sues Fox News, alleging she's being set up for blame in $1.6 billion suit
TikTok CEO says company is 'not an agent of China or any other country'
Legal dispute facing Texan ‘Sassy Trucker’ in Dubai shows the limits of speech in UAE
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
Inside Clean Energy: Where Can We Put All Those Wind Turbines?
Legal dispute facing Texan ‘Sassy Trucker’ in Dubai shows the limits of speech in UAE
Northwestern athletics accused of fostering a toxic culture amid hazing scandal