Current:Home > ContactStampede in Yemen leaves scores dead as gunfire spooks crowd waiting for small Ramadan cash handouts -VisionFunds
Stampede in Yemen leaves scores dead as gunfire spooks crowd waiting for small Ramadan cash handouts
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 23:39:01
Sanaa, Yemen — A crowd apparently panicked by gunfire and an electrical explosion stampeded at an event to distribute financial aid during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in Yemen's capital late Wednesday, killing about 80 people and injuring scores more, according to witnesses and officials from the Houthi rebel group which controls the city. It was the deadliest incident in Yemen in years that was not related directly to the country's long-running civil war, and it came ahead of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of Ramadan later this week.
Armed Houthis fired into the air in an attempt at crowd control, apparently striking an electrical wire and causing it to explode, according to two witnesses, Abdel-Rahman Ahmed and Yahia Mohsen. That sparked a panic, and people, including many women and children, began stampeding, they said.
Motaher al-Marouni, a senior health official, said Thursday that at least 87 people were killed, according to the rebels' Al-Masirah satellite TV channel, but that figure was later retracted amid conflicting information from Houthi officials. The head of the Houthi-controlled Ministry of Health was quoted as saying at least 80 were dead, and al-Marouni had earlier put the death toll at 78. At least 73 others were injured and taken to a Sanaa hospital, according to the hospital's deputy director Hamdan Bagheri.
Video posted on social media showed dozens of bodies, some motionless, and others screaming as people tried to help. Separate video of the aftermath released by Houthi officials showed bloodstains, shoes and victims' clothing scattered on the ground. Investigators were seen examining the area.
The crush took place in the Old City in the center of Sanaa, where hundreds of poor people had gathered for a charity event organized by merchants, according to the Houthi-run Interior Ministry. People had gathered to receive less than $10 each from a charity funded by local businessmen, witnesses said. Wealthy people and businessmen often hand out cash and food, especially to the poor, during Ramadan.
Interior Ministry spokesperson Brig. Abdel-Khaleq al-Aghri, blamed the crush on the "random distribution" of funds without coordination with local authorities.
- U.S. says Iranian arms shipment bound for Yemen's Houthi rebels seized
The political leader of the Houthi rebels, who have controlled much of the country since a civil war broke out almost a decade ago, Prime Minister Abdulaziz bin Habtour, said the group's interior, health and prosecutorial authorities would "examine this unfortunate event to find a serious solution for this to never happen again."
"We are experiencing a great tragedy, a large number of our citizens have died during this stampede," Habtour told people at the scene on Wednesday evening.
The rebels quickly sealed off a school where the event was being held and barred people, including journalists, from approaching. The Interior Ministry said it had detained two organizers and confirmed that an investigation was under way.
The Houthis said they would pay some $2,000 in compensation to each family who lost a relative, while the injured would get around $400.
Yemen's capital has been under the control of the Iranian-backed Houthis since they descended from their northern stronghold in 2014 and removed the internationally recognized government. That prompted a Saudi-led coalition to intervene in 2015 to try to restore the government.
The conflict has turned in recent years into a proxy war between regional powers Saudi Arabia and Iran, killing more than 150,000 people, including fighters and civilians and creating one of the world's worst humanitarian disasters. That war has continued despite an attempt at a ceasefire late last year and a recent, nascent thaw in diplomatic relations between the Saudis and Iranians.
The conflict has left more than two-thirds of Yemen's population — or about 21 million people — in need of help and protection, according to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Among those in need, more than 17 million are considered particularly vulnerable.
In February the United Nations said it had raised only $1.2 billion out of a target of $4.3 billion at a conference aimed at generating funds to ease the humanitarian crisis.
- In:
- Houthi movement
- Politics
- Yemen
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- How Val Chmerkovskiy Feels About Being in Throuple With Wife Jenna Johnson and Tyson Beckford
- Biden proposes a ban on 'junk fees' — from concert tickets to hotel rooms
- Holly Willoughby quits 'This Morning' after man arrested for alleged attempt to murder her
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Dominican Republic has partially reopened its border with Haiti. But a diplomatic crisis persists
- Walmart will build a $350M milk plant in south Georgia as the retailer expands dairy supply control
- A treacherous descent? What will the Fed do next?
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- The Supreme Court signals support for a Republican-leaning congressional district in South Carolina
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Keith Urban shares the secret to a great song ahead of Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Ceremony
- Populist former prime minister in Slovakia signs a deal to form a new government
- Fantasy football rankings for Week 6: Jaguars look like a team on the rise
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Anti-abortion activist called 'pro-life Spiderman' is arrested climbing Chicago's Accenture Tower
- Ex-NFL player Sergio Brown arrested in Southern California in connection to mother’s slaying
- 2 women found alive after plane crashes in Georgia
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
JOC, Sapporo announce decision to abandon bid for 2030 winter games, seek possible bid from 2034 on
Ben & Jerry's is switching to oat-based recipe for non-dairy products starting in 2024
Kelly Ripa Breaks Promise to Daughter Lola Consuelos By Calling Her Out On Live
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
We got free period products in school bathrooms by putting policy over politics
Scientists Disagree About Drivers of September’s Global Temperature Spike, but It Has Most of Them Worried
Birkenstock set for its stock market debut as Wall Street trades in its wingtips for sandals