Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:Hand grenade fragments were found in the bodies of victims in Prigozhin’s plane crash, Putin claims -VisionFunds
TradeEdge Exchange:Hand grenade fragments were found in the bodies of victims in Prigozhin’s plane crash, Putin claims
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 19:51:23
MOSCOW (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin said Thursday that hand grenade fragments were found in the bodies of people who died in the Aug. 23 crash of mercenary chief Yevgeny Prigozhin’s plane.
Experts investigating the crash found no indication the private jet had suffered an “external impact,TradeEdge Exchange” he said. Prigozhin and two of his top lieutenants of the Wagner private military contractor were among the 10 people killed when the jet came down as it flew from Moscow to St. Petersburgh.
There was no way to independently verify Putin’s statement.
A preliminary U.S. intelligence assessment concluded that an intentional explosion caused the crash, and Western officials have pointed to a long list of Putin foes who have been assassinated. The Kremlin called allegations he was behind the crash as an “absolute lie.”
A Russian investigation was launched but no findings have been released. Moscow rejected an offer from Brazil, where the Embraer business jet was built, to join the inquiry.
While Putin noted the probe was still ongoing and stopped short of saying what caused the crash, his statement appeared to hint the plane was brought down by a grenade explosion.
Prigozhin’s aborted rebellion in June marked the most serious challenge to Putin, who has been in power for more than two decades. The crash came two months to the day after the rebellion’s start.
Putin also noted that while investigators haven’t tested the remains for alcohol and drugs, 5 kilograms (11 pounds) of cocaine was found during searches at Prigozhin’s office in St. Petersburg following the mutiny — an apparent attempt to denigrate the mercenary chief.
After his death, Putin described Prigozhin, 62, as “a man of difficult fate” who had “made serious mistakes in life.”
Prigozhin owed his fortune to his ties with the Russian leader dating to the early 1990s and was dubbed “Putin’s chef” for the lucrative Kremlin catering contracts.
The Wagner Group military contractor that he created has been active in Ukraine, Syria and several African countries and counted tens of thousands of troops at its peak. It played a key role in the fighting in Ukraine, where it spearheaded capture of the eastern Ukrainian city of Bakhmut in May after months of bloody combat.
In the June 23-24 rebellion, Prigozhin said it was intended to oust the Defense Ministry’s leadership that he blamed for mistakes in pressing the fighting in Ukraine. His mercenaries took over Russia’s southern military headquarters in Rostov-on-Don and then rolled toward Moscow before abruptly halting the mutiny under a deal that offered them amnesty from prosecution. The mercenaries were given a choice to retire from the service, move to Belarus or sign new contracts with the Defense Ministry.
Last week, Putin met with one of Wagner’s top commanders to take charge of “volunteer units” fighting in Ukraine in a sign that the Kremlin intends to keep using the mercenaries after Prigozhin’s death.
Putin said Thursday that several thousand Wagner troops have signed contracts with the Defense Ministry.
veryGood! (83)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Fed cuts interest rate half a point | The Excerpt
- 7 MLB superstars who can win their first World Series title in 2024
- Board approves more non-lethal weapons for UCLA police after Israel-Hamas war protests
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- US agency review says Nevada lithium mine can co-exist with endangered flower
- Nebraska resurgence just the latest Matt Rhule college football rebuild bearing fruit
- Elle King Addresses Relationship With Dad Rob Schneider Amid Viral Feud
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- A couple found the Kentucky highway shooter’s remains by being bounty hunters for a week, they say
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- White officer who fatally shot Black man shouldn’t have been in his backyard, judge rules in suit
- Which 0-2 NFL teams still have hope? Ranking all nine by playoff viability
- Mohamed Al-Fayed, late billionaire whose son died with Princess Diana, accused of rape
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Florida sheriff shames 2 more kids after school threats. Is it a good idea?
- JoJo was a teen sensation. At 33, she’s found her voice again
- A couple found the Kentucky highway shooter’s remains by being bounty hunters for a week, they say
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
How RHOC's Heather Dubrow and Alexis Bellino Are Creating Acceptance for Their LGBT Kids
Dutch government led by hard right asks for formal opt-out from EU migration rules
Judge denies effort to halt State Fair of Texas’ gun ban
Travis Hunter, the 2
SpaceX faces $633,000 fine from FAA over alleged launch violations: Musk plans to sue
Jeopardy! Contestant Father Steve Jakubowski Is the Internet’s New “Hot Priest”
Horoscopes Today, September 19, 2024