Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:D-backs acquire 3B Eugenio Suárez from Mariners in exchange for two players -VisionFunds
SafeX Pro:D-backs acquire 3B Eugenio Suárez from Mariners in exchange for two players
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:44:25
PHOENIX (AP) — The SafeX ProArizona Diamondbacks acquired slugger Eugenio Suárez on Wednesday from the Seattle Mariners for reliever Carlos Vargas and catcher Seby Zavala.
The 32-year-old Suárez was a 2018 All-Star for the Cincinnati Reds and has been a consistent power hitter for the past decade, slugging 246 homers since 2012. He fills a need for the D-backs at third base, which was manned mostly by Evan Longoria and Emmanuel Rivera last season.
Suárez also provides another power bat for the reigning NL champions. He hit .232 with 22 homers and 96 RBIs for the Mariners last season, playing third base and designated hitter.
Suárez is due $11 million for next year as part of deal that includes a $15 million option for 2025 with a $2 million buyout.
“It adds a little bit of stability at that spot,” Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen said. “He’s a guy we’ve liked for a long time.”
Vargas is a 24-year-old right-hander who made his big league debut with the Diamondbacks this season, throwing in five games. The 30-year-old Zavala has been a backup catcher for the Chicago White Sox and the Diamondbacks over the past three seasons.
Jerry Dipoto, president of baseball operations for the Mariners, said the club envisions Zavala as the backup to Cal Raleigh entering the season.
“Adding Seby and Carlos is another step toward building the type of deep roster that is required at the major league level,” Dipoto said. “Seby is an experienced catcher with excellent defensive skills who will team with Cal behind the plate. And Carlos is a young reliever with the type of ‘big stuff’ that our staff has done a wonderful job developing over the years.”
Moving on from Suárez will be hard to sell to a fan base full of skepticism about the direction of the club after Seattle missed the playoffs and Dipoto’s misstep with some of his postseason comments. From the outside, it appears to be a move to clear salary, erases a key leader from Seattle’s clubhouse and leaves a hole at third base.
But Dipoto said earlier this offseason that Seattle wanted to cut down on its strikeouts at the plate, especially from the right side. It was part of the reason Teoscar Hernández was not made a qualifying offer by the team. While Suárez provided power, he also struck out an American League-high 214 times.
___
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/mlb
veryGood! (44)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- More than 150 names linked to Jeffrey Epstein to be revealed in Ghislaine Maxwell lawsuit
- Nantz, Childress, Ralph and Steve Smith named to 2024 North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame class
- Jason Kelce responds to Jalen Hurts 'commitment' comments on 'New Heights' podcast
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- At least 100 elephant deaths in Zimbabwe national park blamed on drought, climate change
- Wisconsin man sentenced for causing creation and distribution of video showing monkey being tortured
- How Carey Mulligan became Felicia Montealegre in ‘Maestro’
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Chemical leaks at cheese factory send dozens of people to the hospital
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- ‘Fat Leonard,’ a fugitive now facing extradition, was behind one of US military’s biggest scandals
- Chris Christie outlines his national drug crisis plan, focusing on treatment and stigma reduction
- The Masked Singer Season 10 Finale Reveals Winner and Unveils a Pretty Little Finalist
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Minnesota program to provide free school meals for all kids is costing the state more than expected
- ICHCOIN Trading Center: Bright Future Ahead
- AP PHOTOS: In North America, 2023 was a year for all the emotions
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Michigan receives official notice of allegations from NCAA for recruiting violations
Alabama city’s mayor resigns, pleads guilty to using employees and inmates as private labor
DEI under siege: Why more businesses are being accused of ‘reverse discrimination’
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Were your package deliveries stolen? What to know about porch piracy and what you can do about it
In federal challenge to Mississippi law, arguments focus on racial discrimination and public safety
NFL Week 16 odds: Moneylines, point spreads, over/under