Current:Home > NewsMaine shooting suspect was 'behaving erratically' during summer: Defense official -VisionFunds
Maine shooting suspect was 'behaving erratically' during summer: Defense official
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:58:14
A manhunt is underway for the suspect in a mass shooting in Maine that killed at least 18 people and wounded 13 others, officials said.
The mass shooting unfolded in two locations in Lewiston on Wednesday evening: a bowling alley where a children's league was taking place and a local bar, officials said.
The Androscoggin County Sheriff's Office released a photo Tuesday night of the suspect brandishing a semi-automatic rifle at one of the locations.
The suspected gunman -- identified as 40-year-old Robert Card -- has been a U.S. Army reservist since December 2002, the Army confirmed. His current rank is as a sergeant first class and his job is a petroleum supply specialist. He has no combat deployments.
Authorities found the suspect’s white Subaru at a location in Lisbon, several miles southeast of Lewiston, Wednesday night, sources said. The abandoned car was a critical piece of evidence in allowing police to focus on Card, multiple law enforcement officials told ABC News.
An arrest warrant has been issued against Card for eight counts of murder for the victims who have been identified so far, officials said. The arrest warrant will be updated when the other 10 victims are identified.
"Mr. Card is considered armed and dangerous, and police advise that Maine people should not approach him under any circumstances," Maine Gov. Janet Mills said during a press briefing on Wednesday.
MORE: Maine mass shooting live updates
Maine officials did not speak to a potential motive, but said they are looking into Card's mental health when asked during the press briefing about his background and gun possession.
"I know that we will be reviewing that information as we move forward, but that's not an answer that we're prepared to give today," Maine Department of Public Safety Commissioner Mike Sauschuck said.
"There’s still an active search for the suspect in question," he said.
A U.S. Defense Department official confirmed to ABC News that Card was "behaving erratically" while deployed over the summer with his Army Reserve Unit to Camp Smith Training Center in upstate New York to support summer training for West Point cadets.
Leaders of the Army Reserve's 3rd Battalion, 304th Infantry Regiment informed garrison staff at the training site about his behavior on July 17, the defense official said.
"Out of concern for his safety, the unit requested that law enforcement be contacted," the official said.
MORE: Maine shooting timeline: How the mass shootings in Lewiston unfolded
New York State Police officers responded and transported Card to Keller Army Community Hospital at the U.S. Military Academy for medical evaluation, the official said.
New York State Police has stationed armed troopers at the entrances to Camp Smith as a precaution to beef up the armed security, according to the official.
No further details were released by the official.
Card was not assigned to West Point as any sort of instructor, including firearms, an academy official told ABC News.
"While his unit supported West Point summer training, our records indicate he did not instruct nor have any interactions with cadets in training," the official said.
Card's military service awards include the Army Achievement Medal, Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal, Humanitarian Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal and Army Service Ribbon.
veryGood! (1878)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Volunteers flock to Israel to harvest fruit and vegetables as foreign farm workers flee during Israel-Hamas war
- Cambodia’s leader holds talks in neighboring Vietnam on first visit since becoming prime minister
- Former Titans TE Frank Wycheck, key cog in 'Music City Miracle,' dies after fall at home
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Los Angeles mayor works to tackle city's homelessness crisis as nation focuses on affordable housing
- Inside Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet’s “Cozy” Date Night at Wonka Premiere
- Some nations want to remove more pollution than they produce. That will take giving nature a boost
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- 3 coffee table books featuring gardens recall the beauty in our endangered world
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Teachers have been outed for moonlighting in adult content. Do they have legal recourse?
- Hilary Duff pays tribute to late 'Lizzie McGuire' producer Stan Rogow: 'A very special person'
- The Golden Globe nominations are coming. Here’s everything you need to know
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Tylan Wallace goes from little-used backup to game-winning hero with punt return TD for Ravens
- Mortgage rates are dropping. Is this a good time to buy a house?
- At COP28, Indigenous women have a message for leaders: Look at what we’re doing. And listen
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
U.S. Lawmakers Confer With World Leaders at COP28
Rare Raymond Chandler poem is a tribute to his late wife, with a surprising twist
Guyana agreed to talks with Venezuela over territorial dispute under pressure from Brazil, others
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Derek Chauvin's stabbing highlights security issues in federal prisons, experts say
Tennis legend Chris Evert says cancer has returned
Volunteers flock to Israel to harvest fruit and vegetables as foreign farm workers flee during Israel-Hamas war