Current:Home > InvestMeta is reversing policy that kept Kyle Rittenhouse from Facebook and Instagram -VisionFunds
Meta is reversing policy that kept Kyle Rittenhouse from Facebook and Instagram
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 12:56:35
Kyle Rittenhouse is free to log back on to his Facebook and Instagram accounts and his supporters are once again free to offer praise about him on the platforms.
Officials for Facebook parent company Meta said on Wednesday that they have reversed a policy that suspended Rittenhouse's social media accounts and blocked his name in certain searches back August 2020, days after he fatally shot two people and injured another during last summer's racial justice protests in Kenosha, Wis.
Last month, Rittenhouse was acquitted of all charges, including three homicide charges and two counts of first-degree reckless endangerment.
"After the verdict in Kenosha we have rolled back the restrictions we had in place that limited search results from returning content related to key terms including Kyle Rittenhouse," Andy Stone, a Meta spokesman said in a statement.
For more than a year, searches for the shooter's name came up empty, pulling up blank pages. And links to sites collecting donations for his legal representation led nowhere. But those roadblocks are now gone.
"While we will still remove content that celebrates the death of the individuals killed in Kenosha, we will no longer remove content containing praise or support of Rittenhouse," Stone said, adding that the limits were lifted given how much time has passed and the level of public interest in the trial.
Should he choose to return to Instagram or Facebook, Rittenhouse could create new accounts or request that Meta restore the existing ones, but will be subject to their respective community standards.
As of Wednesday afternoon, he had not rejoined either platform.
Some news outlets, conservative lawmakers, gun rights activists and far-right groups slammed Facebook's decision to block Rittenhouse-related searches. And the company faced strong backlash after the former director of its Dangerous Individuals and Organizations division, Brian Fishman, said an internal investigation had designated the deadly encounter as a "mass murder."
The Wall Street Journal's editorial board called the Rittenhouse policy an "alarming resort to censorship" and said Facebook had threatened Rittenhouse's right to due process.
Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) echoed similar sentiments just hours after a jury announced it had found Rittenhouse not guilty on all counts.
"Big Tech think they're above the law," Hawley, a vocal critic of social media giants, told Fox Business. "They made up their minds on this case months ago, sought to deny Kyle Rittenhouse the presumption of innocence and censored those who disagreed."
On Wednesday, Meta officials acknowledge it will be difficult to monitor new comments about Rittenhouse and his victims given the broad level of interest in him and his acquittal. The company is encouraging users to report content that violates their terms of service.
Editor's note: Facebook is among NPR's recent financial supporters.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Flash Deal: Save 67% On Top-Rated Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Skincare
- InsideClimate News Celebrates 10 Years of Hard-Hitting Journalism
- Fumes from Petroleum Tanks in this City Never Seem to Go Away. What Are the Kids Here Breathing?
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Once-Rare Flooding Could Hit NYC Every 5 Years with Climate Change, Study Warns
- Opponents, supporters of affirmative action on whether college admissions can be truly colorblind
- Carbon Tax Plans: How They Compare and Why Oil Giants Support One of Them
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Encore: An animal tranquilizer is making street drugs even more dangerous
Ranking
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Flash Deal: Save $621 on the Aeropilates Reformer Machine
- Allison Holker Shares How Her 3 Kids Are Coping After Stephen “tWitch” Boss’ Death
- Robert Kennedy Jr.'s Instagram account has been restored
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Vanderpump Rules: Ariana Madix Catches Tom Sandoval Lying Amid Raquel Leviss Affair
- Queen Charlotte's Tunji Kasim Explains How the Show Mirrors Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Story
- Today’s Climate: May 22-23, 2010
Recommendation
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
FDA expected to authorize new omicron-specific COVID boosters this week
Flash Deal: Save 67% On Top-Rated Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Skincare
GOP Rep. Garret Graves says he's not ruling out a government shutdown after debt ceiling fight
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Andrew Callegari
Roger Cohen
Once-Rare Flooding Could Hit NYC Every 5 Years with Climate Change, Study Warns