Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|California student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting -VisionFunds
TrendPulse|California student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:03:51
VICTORVILLE,TrendPulse Calif. — An 18-year-old high school student has been arrested and charged after investigators discovered he was planning a school shooting in Southern California and researched police response times.
Sebastian Villasenor, of Eastvale, California, was charged Wednesday with multiple felony counts related to a planned attack on Ontario Christian High School in Ontario, California, a city about 46 miles east of Los Angeles, according to the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office. The charges include five counts of attempted murder and one count of attempting to make criminal threats.
Villasenor was arrested on Feb. 10 after a classmate reported that the teen "had been showing signs of being fixated on school shootings and had access to weapons," Ontario Police Chief Michael Lorenz said at a news conference Wednesday.
"Thanks to the swift and thorough response of the Ontario Police Department, and the bravery of the student who voiced concerns, tragedy was avoided and potentially lives were saved," the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office said in a news release.
Police chief: Student 'obsessed with our response times'
Investigators found that Villasenor, who has no prior criminal record, "had every intention of carrying out a school shooting at the Ontario Christian High School," according to Lorenz.
Lorenz added that the teen was "obsessed" with school shootings and police response times. He also researched tactical supplies and was in the process of choosing a date for his attack.
"He was so obsessed with our response times that he Google mapped how far it would be from the Ontario Police Department for our response time to the school," Lorenz said.
Investigators believe Villasenor may have been planning a shooting around April 20, which is the anniversary of the 1999 attack at Columbine High School in Colorado that left 15 people dead, including the two shooters.
Guns in America:In US, celebrations can quickly become tragedies when violence erupts
Investigators discovered arsenal of weapons in teen's home
While searching Villasenor’s home, Lorenz said authorities collected "numerous weapons," including seven rifles, two revolvers, a handgun, and a shotgun along with more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition.
Although Villasenor didn’t have a "hit list," Lorenz said further investigation led police to believe that he was focusing on five students as intended victims and “contemplated” a sixth victim, based on interviews regarding his social interactions with the students.
All the victims were students at Ontario Christian High School, according to Lorenz.
Investigators determined that Villasenor wasn’t “bullied or harassed” but had difficulties “forming relationships with other students and in his social interactions.” Villasenor is in custody at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga.
He is ineligible for bail, sheriff’s records show. He was arraigned Thursday and pleaded not guilty to all charges, according to the district attorney’s office.
Contributing: The Associated Press
Follow Rene Ray De La Cruz on X @DP_ReneDeLaCruz
veryGood! (74322)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Murder on Music Row: Shots in the heart of country music disrupt the Nashville night
- Storm sets off floods and landslides in Philippines, leaving at least 9 dead
- Defending champion Coco Gauff loses in the U.S. Open’s fourth round to Emma Navarro
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Federal investigators start probe of bus crash in Mississippi that killed 7, injured dozens more
- Drew Barrymore reflects on her Playboy cover in 'vulnerable' essay
- Georgia arrests point to culture problem? Oh, please. Bulldogs show culture is winning
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- 4 killed, 2 injured in Hawaii shooting; shooter among those killed, police say
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Woody Marks’ TD run with 8 seconds left gives No. 23 USC 27-20 win over No. 13 LSU
- Gymnast Kara Welsh Dead at 21 After Shooting
- How Swimmer Ali Truwit Got Ready for the 2024 Paralympics a Year After Losing Her Leg in a Shark Attack
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- California lawmakers approve legislation to ban deepfakes, protect workers and regulate AI
- American road cyclist Elouan Gardon wins bronze medal in first Paralympic appearance
- Wisconsin-Whitewater gymnastics champion Kara Welsh killed in shooting
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Sephora Flash Sale: 50% Off 24-Hour Lancome Foundation, Viral Clinique Black Honey Lipstick & More
ESPN networks, ABC and Disney channels go dark on DirecTV on a busy night for sports
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 30 drawing: Did anyone win $627 million jackpot?
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Who Coco Gauff, Iga Swiatek play in US Open fourth round, and other must-watch matches
John Stamos got kicked out of Scientology for goofing around
Moms for Liberty fully embraces Trump and widens role in national politics as election nears