Current:Home > ContactTaylor Swift Terror Plot: Police Reveal New Details on Planned Concert Attack -VisionFunds
Taylor Swift Terror Plot: Police Reveal New Details on Planned Concert Attack
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 15:26:14
Authorities have more information on the terror attack plot that resulted in the cancelation of Taylor Swift’s Vienna concerts.
One day after authorities arrested a 19-year-old for allegedly plotting attacks at large events around Vienna, Austria, including Swift’s three-night Eras Tour residency, they shared the suspect has confessed more details regarding the plan; and authorities have discovered more information regarding other suspects.
Officials explained in an Aug. 8 press conference that the man, who has been classified as a primary suspect, confessed that he had planned to kill himself and a “large number” of other people with knives and explosive devices.
Head of Austria's Directorate of State Security and Intelligence Omar Haijawi-Pirchner explained during the conference, per NBC News, that the suspect, who is an Austrian native with North Macedonian roots, had downloaded manuals for bomb building.
Authorities were also able to determine paraphernalia in the prime suspect’s apartment included hydrogen peroxide, homemade explosives, detonators and detonator cables. Haijawi-Pirchner noted that explosives had already been assembled.
And they’ve expressed relief that they were able to stop the attack.
“A tragedy was prevented,” Austria’s Minister of the Interior Gerhard Karner explained during the press conference, per NBC News. “The situation was serious, the situation is serious.”
Haijawi-Pirchner gave further details on the second suspect who was arrested on the afternoon of Aug. 7, a 17-year-old Austrian citizen with Turkish and Croatian roots. The directorate said that the second suspect had been employed by a company that would have provided services at Swift’s Vienna shows—although the specificity of their service was not clarified.
In the home of the second suspect, Haijawi-Pirchner said authorities had found materials for the Salafi-jihadist group ISIS, as well as Al-Qaeda, alongside screenshotted images and videos of home laboratories.
Haijawi-Pirchner noted that authorities were currently questioning a third suspect, a 15-year-old Austrian national with Turkish roots, but that no other parties are being sought out in connection to this specific terrorist plot. He added that others “may have known” about the plan and are a part of an ongoing investigation.
Following the cancelation of Swift’s Aug. 8, Aug. 9, and Aug. 10 shows at Ernst Happel Stadium, the metropolitan police in London, UK—the next stop on her tour—confirmed to the Associated Press that there is no “indicated link” between the Austrian terror plot and the upcoming Wembley Stadium concerts, set to kick off Aug. 15.
During her 18-year career, the Grammy winner has only canceled shows in extreme circumstances, including her Lover Fest concerts due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and a 2014 concert in Thailand when the country was enforcing curfews with military force following anti-government protests.
After postponing an Eras Tour show in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, due to extreme temperatures in 2023, Taylor said in a statement, “The safety and well-being of my fans, fellow performers, and crew has to and always will come first.”
E! News has reached out to reps for Swift regarding the terrorist plot and subsequently canceled shows as well as her upcoming London shows, but has not yet heard back.
(E! News and NBC News are both a part of NBCUniversal).
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (9)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- What is the Wagner Group, and who is Yevgeny Prigozhin? What to know about the Russian private military company
- Heavy Rains Lead To Flash Flooding In Eastern Nebraska
- Former student arrested in hate-motivated stabbing at Canadian university gender studies class
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- The Cast of Schmigadoon! Explains How Their Strong Bond Made For an Elevated Season 2
- Fleetwood Mac Singer Christine McVie’s Cause of Death Revealed
- Wildfires Are Driving People Out Of Turkish Vacation Spots
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Another Major Heat Wave Is Bringing Triple-Digit Temps To The Pacific Northwest
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Israeli settlers rampage through Palestinian town as violence escalates in occupied West Bank
- We need to talk about your gas stove, your health and climate change
- Biden Is Directing Federal Aid To New Jersey And New York After Ida's Deadly Flooding
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Thousands Are Evacuated As Fires Rampage Through Forests In Greece
- Ava Phillippe's New Blunt Bangs Make Her Look Even More Like Mom Reese Witherspoon
- Boris Johnson Urges World Leaders To Act With Renewed Urgency On Climate Change
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Emmy Rossum Gives Birth, Privately Welcomes Baby No. 2 With Sam Esmail
Himalayan glaciers are melting faster than ever, and scientists say it's going to affect us all
Tropical Storm Nicholas Threatens The Gulf Coast With Heavy Rain
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Wagner Group prison recruits back in Russia from Ukraine front lines accused of murder and sexual assault
Boris Johnson Urges World Leaders To Act With Renewed Urgency On Climate Change
Putin delivers first speech since Wagner revolt, thanks Russians for defending fate of the Fatherland