Current:Home > MarketsTradeEdge-Family sues school district over law that bans transgender volleyball player from girls’ sports -VisionFunds
TradeEdge-Family sues school district over law that bans transgender volleyball player from girls’ sports
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 19:39:44
FORT LAUDERDALE,TradeEdge Fla. (AP) — The family of a transgender volleyball player has added a South Florida school district as a defendant in a federal lawsuit that challenges a 2021 state law banning transgender girls from playing on female sports teams, claiming school officials have placed the family in danger.
Attorneys for the family filed an amended complaint Thursday that adds the Broward School Board, the school district’s superintendent and the Florida High School Athletic Association. The school officials had been named as defendants when the lawsuit was initially filed in 2021 but were dropped the next year, leaving just the Florida Department of Education and Education Commissioner Manny Diaz as defendants.
“While we can’t comment on pending litigation, Broward County Public Schools remains committed to following all state laws,” district spokesman John J. Sullivan said in a statement. “The District assures the community of its dedication to the welfare of all its students and staff.”
U.S. District Judge Roy Altman, a Trump appointee, ruled in November that state officials had a right to enforce a 2021 law that bars transgender girls and women from playing on public school teams intended for student athletes identified as female at birth but allowed the family to file an amended complaint.
The law, which supporters named “The Fairness in Women’s Sports Act,” was championed and signed in by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, who is running for president and has leaned heavily into cultural divides on race, sexual orientation and gender.
The transgender student, a Monarch High School 10th grader who played in 33 matches over the past two seasons, was removed from the team in November after the Broward County School District was notified by an anonymous tipster about her participation.
According to the lawsuit, the student has identified as female since before elementary school and has been using a girl’s name since second grade. At age 11 she began taking testosterone blockers and at 13 started taking estrogen to begin puberty as a girl. Her gender has also been changed on her birth certificate.
The girl’s removal from the volleyball team led hundreds of Monarch students to walk out of class in protest. At the same time, Broward Superintendent Peter Licata suspended or temporarily reassigned five school officials pending an investigation, including the girl’s mother, an information technician at the school.
The Associated Press is not naming the student to protect her privacy.
The initial lawsuit didn’t identify the student or her school, but the amended complaint said the family lost all privacy when the school district began its investigation. The student’s mother issued a statement at the time calling the outing of her daughter a “direct attempt to endanger” the girl.
The Human Rights Campaign, an LGBTQ+ rights organization, has been supporting the family.
“The reckless indifference to the well-being of our client and her family, and all transgender students across the State, will not be ignored,” the group’s litigation strategist, Jason Starr, said in a statement last month.
veryGood! (84446)
Related
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Jessica Alba Praises Her and Cash Warren’s “Angel” Daughter Honor in 15th Birthday Tribute
- IPCC: Radical Energy Transformation Needed to Avoid 1.5 Degrees Global Warming
- Mattel's new live-action “Barney” movie will lean into adults’ “millennial angst,” producer says
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Ice Storm Aftermath: More Climate Extremes Ahead for Galveston
- The history of Ferris wheels: What goes around comes around
- Dismissing Trump’s EPA Science Advisors, Regan Says the Agency Will Return to a ‘Fair and Transparent Process’
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Roller coaster riders stuck upside down for hours at Wisconsin festival
Ranking
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Texas teen who reportedly vanished 8 years ago while walking his dogs is found alive
- How Gender-Free Clothes & Accessories From Stuzo Clothing Will Redefine Your Closet
- Keystone Pipeline Spills 383,000 Gallons of Oil into North Dakota Wetlands
- Bodycam footage shows high
- July Fourth hot dog eating contest men's competition won by Joey Chestnut with 62 hot dogs and buns
- World’s Current Fossil Fuel Plans Will Shatter Paris Climate Limits, UN Warns
- The BET Award Nominations 2023 Are Finally Here: See the Full List
Recommendation
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
See Ariana Madix SURve Up Justice in First Look at Buying Back My Daughter Movie
U.S. Wind Power Is ‘Going All Out’ with Bigger Tech, Falling Prices, Reports Show
Proof Tom Holland Is Marveling Over Photos of Girlfriend Zendaya Online
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Kim Zolciak Won't Be Tardy to Drop Biermann From Her Instagram Name
Texas teen who reportedly vanished 8 years ago while walking his dogs is found alive
United Airlines passengers affected by flight havoc to receive travel vouchers