Current:Home > ScamsTrump rules out another debate against Harris as her campaign announces $47M haul in hours afterward -VisionFunds
Trump rules out another debate against Harris as her campaign announces $47M haul in hours afterward
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 16:58:18
Donald Trump on Thursday ruled out another presidential debate against Kamala Harris as her campaign announced a massive fundraising haul in the hours after the two candidates met on stage.
Trump, the Republican nominee, posted on Truth Social that “THERE WILL BE NO THIRD DEBATE!” following Tuesday’s debate against Harris and his June debate against President Joe Biden. In rejecting another debate, the former president suggested that a “prizefighter” who loses a bout is always the one to call for a rematch.
A day earlier, he had said, “I just don’t know,” to the question of whether he would meet Harris for another debate. Some Republicans, including the No. 2 GOP Senator John Thune, have urged Trump to debate against Harris again.
While he could still change his mind, his announcement means that Tuesday’s meeting will likely be the only time voters will see the two debate each other before the November election. More than 67 million people watched the Trump-Harris debate.
Harris, the Democratic nominee, said during a rally in North Carolina on Thursday she believes that she and the former president “owe it to voters” to debate again. Meanwhile, her campaign revealed that it had raised $47 million from nearly 600,000 donors in the 24 hours after her Tuesday debate against Trump.
“This historic, 24-hour haul reflects a strong and growing coalition of Americans united behind Vice President Harris’ candidacy that knows the stakes this November, and are doing their part to defeat Donald Trump this November,” campaign chair Jen O’Malley Dillon said.
The Tuesday debate was the first time that Trump and Harris had met, and the vice president largely controlled the tenor, goading Trump into agitated responses that contained exaggerations and mistruths. It came two months after Trump’s debate against Biden, whose unsteady performance and meandering answers led him to end his reelection bid and endorse Harris as his replacement on the ticket.
Trump raised doubts earlier in the campaign as to whether he would debate Harris at all. The two eventually agreed on the Tuesday debate on ABC.
Trump called Harris a “no-show” for a debate date that had been proposed earlier this month. Instead of an event with Harris, Trump ended up going on Fox News for a solo town hall with host Sean Hannity.
Fox News has issued invitations to both campaigns for a debate in October.
___
Associated Press writer Zeke Miller in Washington contributed to this report.
veryGood! (537)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- The Bachelor Host Jesse Palmer Expecting First Baby With Pregnant Wife Emely Fardo
- Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $460 Tote Bag for Just $99
- David Byrne has regrets about 'ugly' Talking Heads split: 'I was more of a little tyrant'
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Cyberattack keeps hospitals’ computers offline for weeks
- Max Homa takes lead into weekend at BMW Championship after breaking course record
- Company that leaked radioactive material will build barrier to keep it away from Mississippi River
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Blue Shield of California opts for Amazon, Mark Cuban drug company in switchup
Ranking
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Mississippi grand jury cites shoddy investigations by police department at center of mistrial
- 'Swamp Kings': Florida football docuseries rehashes Gators' era of success and swagger
- Hiker who died in fall from Wisconsin bluff is identified as a 42-year-old Indiana man
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Boat captain recounts harrowing rescues of children who jumped into ocean to escape Maui wildfires
- Wreckage from Tuskegee airman’s plane that crashed during WWII training recovered from Lake Huron
- Pennsylvania’s jobless rate has fallen to a new record low, matching the national rate
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Georgia school board fires teacher for reading a book to students about gender identity
Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton's Latest Collab Proves Their “Love Is Alive
Australia vs. Sweden: World Cup third-place match time, odds, how to watch and live stream
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
'Lolita the whale' made famous by her five decades in captivity, dies before being freed
Hilary grows into major hurricane in Pacific off Mexico and could bring heavy rain to US Southwest
Agreement central to a public dispute between Michael Oher and the Tuohys is being questioned