Current:Home > StocksFamilies of Black girls handcuffed at gunpoint by Colorado police reach $1.9 million settlement -VisionFunds
Families of Black girls handcuffed at gunpoint by Colorado police reach $1.9 million settlement
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 14:10:00
The family of four Black girls who were mistakenly handcuffed at gunpoint in August 2020 by police in Aurora, Colorado reached a $1.9 million settlement with the city on Monday.
The families of the four girls filed a lawsuit in 2021 against the department and the city claiming the officers' actions permanently traumatized the girls and showed a pattern of systemic racism.
The incident occurred after police mistook Brittney Gilliam's car as stolen. Gilliam said she had taken her nieces, sister and daughter out for a girls’ day at a nail salon. However, after realizing the salon was closed, the group went back to their car and were surrounded by police who had their weapons drawn.
“All parties are very satisfied with this settlement,” David Lane, a lawyer for the family, said via the Associated Press.
Lane said the settlement saved the girls the trauma of having to relive what happened during a trial, the AP reported. The money will be divided evenly between Gilliam and the four girls. The young girls' portion will be placed into annuities so the money will grow by the time they access it when they turn 18, Lane said.
"We believe that inexcusable racial profiling was involved in this case as well," Lane told USA TODAY. "Hopefully, this settlement will lead to changes in how police departments handle situations like this in the future."
The police department also confirmed the settlement.
“The Aurora Police Department remains committed to strengthening the relationship with the community through accountability and continuously improving how it serves the public,” it said, per AP.
USA TODAY has reached out to the Aurora Police Department for additional comment.
Lawsuit:Families of Black girls wrongly held at gunpoint in Colorado sue police, city
Young girls handcuffed, scared, crying
Video taken by a bystander showed the four girls, aged 6 to 17 years old laying on their stomachs on the ground next to their car. The 17-year-old and 12-year-old have their hands cuffed behind their backs.
The girls could be heard crying and screaming as they're surrounded by multiple officers.
According to the lawsuit, one of the officers tried to handcuff the 6-year-old who was wearing a pink tiara and holding onto her cousin's hand, but the officer could not because the handcuffs were too big.
"I want my mother," one of the girls said in the video.
"Can I get you guys off the ground?" an officer asks, before one eventually helps the handcuffed girls sit up with their hands still behind their backs.
The lawsuit claimed the girls struggle to eat and sleep, are all in therapy, and fear the police. The 14-year-old girl cannot get the “terrified screams” of her cousins out of her mind, the lawsuit said.
Gilliam said for the first year following the police encounter she was full of rage, angry she could not do anything to help the girls.
“Mentally, it destroyed me because I felt like not only am I not safe, these kids aren’t safe,” she said in an interview before the settlement was announced.
Her daughter, whom she said was previously a “joyous” child, began acting out, became withdrawn, and would not talk about what happened.
Mistaken vehicle
Police at the time said they mistook Gilliam's car for a stolen vehicle.
Police said they were notified of a possible stolen vehicle and located a vehicle that matched the description and license plate number. Police determined they had stopped the wrong car "shortly" after the people inside were ordered on the ground and some were handcuffed.
The vehicle reported stolen was a motorcycle with the same license plate number from Montana. Police said the mix-up may have been partly due to the fact that the car Gilliam was driving was reported stolen that year.
Police Chief Vanessa Wilson said that when officers spot a stolen car, they are trained to do a "high-risk stop," which involves drawing weapons and ordering occupants to exit the car and lie on the ground.
An investigation by prosecutors found that the officers did not commit any crimes and were following their training for stopping a suspected stolen vehicle. However, prosecutors said the incident was “unacceptable and preventable.”
In 2021, city spokesperson Ryan Luby said the department changed its training to give officers more discretion in responding to suspected stolen car cases, following the incident.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
veryGood! (73)
Related
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- RHONJ's Jennifer Fessler Shares Ozempic-Type Weight Loss Injections Caused Impacted Bowel
- NCAA President Charlie Baker calls for new tier of Division I where schools can pay athletes
- 3 suspects arrested in murder of Phoenix man whose family says was targeted for being gay
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Lawyers for woman accusing Dani Alves of sexual assault seek maximum 12-year sentence for player
- Frontier Airlines settles lawsuit filed by pilots who claimed bias over pregnancy, breastfeeding
- A bedbug hoax is targeting foreign visitors in Athens. Now the Greek police have been called in
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Massachusetts budget approval allows utilities to recoup added cost of hydropower corridor
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- NCAA President Charlie Baker calls for new tier of Division I where schools can pay athletes
- NCAA's new proposal could help ensure its survival if Congress gets on board
- Jonathan Majors' ex Grace Jabbari testifies on actor's 'violent temper': 'I had to be perfect'
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- NCAA President Charlie Baker calls for new tier of Division I where schools can pay athletes
- Trump’s defense at civil fraud trial zooms in on Mar-a-Lago, with broker calling it ‘breathtaking’
- Natalie Portman, Julianne Moore on hot dogs, 'May December' and movies they can't rewatch
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai urges world to confront Taliban’s ‘gender apartheid’ against women
Teen Mom's Kailyn Lowry Shows Off Evolution of Her Baby Bump While Pregnant With Twins
Scientists say November is 6th straight month to set heat record; 2023 a cinch as hottest year
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree goes to No. 1 — after 65 years
NCAA's new proposal could help ensure its survival if Congress gets on board
Former U.S. Ambassador to Bolivia Manuel Rocha accused of spying for Cuba for decades
Tags
Like
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- In a rare action against Israel, US says extremist West Bank settlers will be barred from America
- Video shows research ship's incredibly lucky encounter with world's largest iceberg as it drifts out of Antarctica