Current:Home > MarketsDominican officials searching for Rays shortstop Wander Franco as investigation continues -VisionFunds
Dominican officials searching for Rays shortstop Wander Franco as investigation continues
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:58:04
Authorities in the Dominican Republic are searching for Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco, but have yet to locate him, according to Spanish-language reports.
The Santo Domingo Prosecutor's Office for Children and Adolescents sent police officers to Franco's mother's house on Tuesday, according to the Dominican news outlet Listin Diario, and then moved on to Franco's nearby residence in his hometown of Bani.
“They went to raid two properties that Wander Franco has there, but they were not carried out, because he was not in any of those places,” a Dominican agent told the Associated Press. The person requested anonymity due to the ongoing investigation.
The agent said people at the residences were informed that Franco was being sought for questioning at the office of Public Ministry.
Franco, 22, was placed on administrative leave in August, when allegations of an improper relationship with an underage girl first surfaced. Franco, who made the American League All-Star team for the first time in 2023, has denied the allegations.
HOT STOVE UPDATES: MLB free agency: Ranking and tracking the top players available.
Franco was having his best season as a major leaguer, hitting .281 with 17 home runs and 30 stolen bases in 112 games when the allegations surfaced. He played his last game on August 12, and the Rays placed him on the restricted list two days later.
"This is a very delicate topic because there is a minor involved,’’ Angel Dario Tejada Fabal, a prosecutor in the Peravaia, a province of the Dominican Republic, told the Associated Press in August. Relationships between adults and minors under the age of 18 years old are prohibited in the Dominican Republic, regardless of whether the minor gives consent.
MLB is also conducting its own investigation.
The Rays signed Franco to an 11-year, $182 million contract in November 2021. The team put him back on the 40-man roster last month since administrative leave is only applicable during the regular season. He will continue to be paid and accrue service time while he is away from the team.
Contributing: The Associated Press
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- 'Steam loops' under many cities could be a climate change solution
- Climate change makes heat waves, storms and droughts worse, climate report confirms
- No, Leonardo DiCaprio and Irina Shayk Weren't Getting Cozy at Coachella 2023
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Recycling plastic is practically impossible — and the problem is getting worse
- Brittany Mahomes Calls Out Disrespectful Women Who Go After Husband Patrick Mahomes
- 'One Mississippi...' How Lightning Shapes The Climate
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Animal populations shrank an average of 69% over the last half-century, a report says
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Extreme weather, fueled by climate change, cost the U.S. $165 billion in 2022
- Love Is Blind: These 2 Couples Got Engaged Off Camera in Season 4
- Kourtney Kardashian on Her Favorite 90s Trends, Sustainability, and Bringing Camp Poosh to Coachella
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Lola Consuelos Supports Parents Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos at Live With Kelly and Mark Debut
- A Taste Of Lab-Grown Meat
- Emperor penguins will receive endangered species protections
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Sophia Culpo Shares Her Worst Breakup Story One Month After Braxton Berrios Split
What a lettuce farm in Senegal reveals about climate-driven migration in Africa
Love Is Blind’s Marshall Glaze Reveals He’s Related to Bachelorette’s Justin Glaze
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
An ornithologist, a cellist and a human rights activist: the 2022 MacArthur Fellows
Here's what happened on Friday at the U.N.'s COP27 climate talks
Survivor’s Keith Nale Dead at 62 After Cancer Battle