Current:Home > StocksNational Security Council's John Kirby on how the U.S. might respond to deadly attack in Jordan -VisionFunds
National Security Council's John Kirby on how the U.S. might respond to deadly attack in Jordan
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:11:08
After Sunday's drone attack on an American military outpost in the Middle East killed three U.S. service members and left dozens more injured, a top Biden administration official said the U.S. "absolutely" will do what's necessary for its defense. But he also emphasized that staving off wider regional conflict is a priority.
"We are not interested in a broader conflict in the region, we're not looking for another war, but we absolutely will do what we have to do to protect ourselves," John Kirby, a spokesperson for the National Security Council at the White House, said in an interview Monday on "CBS Mornings."
Kirby's comments came as escalating assaults on U.S. forces stationed around the Middle East, in the wake of Israel's war with Hamas in Gaza, drive concerns about the involvement of Iran and its proxies. On Sunday, three U.S. troops were killed and at least 34 more suffered injuries when an aerial drone strike hit an American military base in northeastern Jordan, close to the Syrian border, the U.S. military and President Biden said. Jordan is a U.S. ally.
Mr. Biden said in a statement issued after the attack that "radical Iran-backed militant groups operating in Syria and Iraq" were behind it, and noted that the U.S. "will hold all those responsible to account at a time and in a manner our choosing."
The strike appears to be the deadliest attack on U.S. service members since 13 Americans were killed in a suicide bombing in Kabul in 2021, as U.S. troops pulled out of Afghanistan.
It happened before dawn at a U.S. military outpost called Tower 22, where around 350 U.S. Army and Air Force personnel are stationed, according to the Department of Defense. The troops who were killed and wounded were in their barracks, "and given the hour, most likely, many if not all of them were in their beds," said Kirby.
"We think this was a single drone attack," he said, adding that U.S. officials were still "trying to get more information" about exactly what happened. Kirby noted that the number of injuries linked to the attack could potentially rise, "for instance, if some of them experience concussive symptoms, which would suggest maybe traumatic brain injury."
- Pentagon releases names of 3 soldiers killed in drone attack in Jordan
This is only the most recent attack believed to involve Iran-backed militant groups since the start of the Israel-Hamas war. Yemen's Iranian-backed Houthi rebels have been attacking ships in the Red Sea, and in response, the U.S. began carrying out airstrikes on Houthi targets in Yemen last month. Houthi militants launched a missile toward a U.S. warship, the USS Carney, on Friday.
Republicans in Congress called on the Biden administration to retaliate against Iran in the aftermath of the attack on Tower 22, with House Speaker Mike Johnson saying the U.S. "must send a crystal clear message across the globe that attacks on our troops will not be tolerated." Sen. Lindsey Graham said, "Hit Iran now. ... Hit them hard."
Kirby told "CBS Mornings" that he did not have any new steps to announce at this time.
"The president has added force capability to the Middle East," Kirby said. "I don't have any force posture changes to announce today, but I can assure you that he'll make the decisions as commander in chief as appropriate, to make sure we can continue to defend ourselves."
He also acknowledged Iran's "destabilizing behavior."
"I would tell you that we are certainly mindful of the destabilizing behavior in actions of Iran, the way they support these groups, these militia groups, Syria, the maritime attacks that they're permitting by the Houthis," Kirby said. "We're mindful of the destabilizing behavior and the influence that they have in the region."
The White House said Mr. Biden was briefed on the attack after it happened Sunday morning and met with administration officials, including Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Secretary of State Antony Blinken, later in the day.
At an event in South Carolina on Sunday afternoon, the president said, "We lost three brave soldiers in an attack on one of our bases. And I'm asking for a moment of silence for all three of our fallen soldiers. And we shall respond."
- In:
- John Kirby
- Jordan
- Iran
- U.S. Army
Emily Mae Czachor is a reporter and news editor at CBSNews.com. She covers breaking news, often focusing on crime and extreme weather. Emily Mae has previously written for outlets including the Los Angeles Times, BuzzFeed and Newsweek.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (68633)
Related
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- How sex (and sweets) helped bring Emma Stone's curious 'Poor Things' character to life
- Californian passes state bar exam at age 17 and is sworn in as an attorney
- Everyone knows Booker T adlibs for WWE's Trick Williams. But he also helped NXT star grow
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Celebrities Celebrate the Holidays 2023: Christmas, Hanukkah and More
- Vessel owner pleads guilty in plot to smuggle workers, drugs from Honduras to Louisiana
- Inmate convicted of fatally stabbing another inmate at West Virginia penitentiary
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Judge voids result of Louisiana sheriff’s election decided by a single vote and orders a new runoff
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Use these tech tips to preserve memories (old and new) this holiday season
- Love Story Actor Ryan O’Neal Dead at 82
- Scientists to COP28: ‘We’re Clearly in The Danger Zone’
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Mormon church selects British man from lower-tier council for top governing body
- The IOC confirms Russian athletes can compete at Paris Olympics with approved neutral status
- Derek Hough Shares Update on Wife Hayley Erbert’s Health After Skull Surgery
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Indonesia suspects human trafficking is behind the increasing number of Rohingya refugees
Thursday Night Football highlights: Patriots put dent into Steelers' playoff hopes
DeSantis, Haley and Ramaswamy will appear in northwest Iowa days after a combative GOP debate
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Review: Tony Shalhoub makes the 'Monk' movie an obsessively delightful reunion
As Pakistan cracks down on illegal migrants, nearly half a million Afghans have left, minister says
NBA getting what it wants from In-Season Tournament, including LeBron James in the final