Current:Home > NewsColumbia will set up fund for victims of doctor convicted of sex crimes, notify 6,500 patients -VisionFunds
Columbia will set up fund for victims of doctor convicted of sex crimes, notify 6,500 patients
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 16:19:05
NEW YORK (AP) — Columbia University and a university-affiliated hospital announced Monday that they will notify 6,500 former patients of disgraced gynecologist Robert Hadden of federal sex crimes he was convicted of earlier this year.
Under the plan announced by Columbia and Columbia University Irving Medical Center, patients who were abused by Hadden over his decadeslong career will be given the opportunity to apply for compensation from a $100 million settlement fund.
Victims can also sue under New York’s Adult Survivors Act, but the one-year window to file lawsuits closes after Nov. 23.
Hadden was convicted in January of four counts of enticing victims to cross state lines so he could sexually abuse them. He was sentenced in July to 20 years in prison.
Hadden 65, pleaded guilty earlier to state charges, admitting that he had sexually abused patients.
Federal prosecutors said Hadden sexually abused patients from 1993 through at least 2012 while he was working at the Irving Medical Center and New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
His accusers included Evelyn Yang, the wife of former presidential candidate and New York mayoral candidate Andrew Yang, who said Hadden abused her when she was pregnant with her first child.
“We owe it to the courageous survivors and the entire Columbia community to fully reckon with Hadden’s abuses,” Columbia University President Minouche Shafik and Irving Medical Center CEO Dr. Katrina Armstrong said in a news release. “Columbia failed these survivors, and for that we are deeply sorry.”
Shafik and Armstrong said the multi-pronged plan to address the legacy of Hadden’s abuse will include an independent investigation to examine the failures that allowed the abuse to continue and the establishment of a center for patient safety.
Direct notice will be sent to nearly 6,500 former Hadden patients to alert them to his conviction and sentence and to inform them of their right to sue or to seek compensation from the settlement fund, the officials said.
The fund will open in January 2024 and stay open for at least a year, they said.
veryGood! (215)
Related
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Confusion, frustration and hope at Gaza’s border with Egypt as first foreign passport-holders depart
- Jury selected after almost 10 months for rapper Young Thug’s trial on gang, racketeering charges
- See Maddie Ziegler and Dance Moms Stars Reunite to Celebrate Paige Hyland's Birthday
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- US Marshals releases its first report on shootings by officers
- Volunteer medical students are trying to fill the health care gap for migrants in Chicago
- 18-year-old from Maine arrested after photo with gun threatening 'Lewiston Part 2': Reports
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- House weighs censure efforts against Rashida Tlaib and Marjorie Taylor Greene over their rhetoric
Ranking
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Puppy zip-tied, abandoned on Arizona highway rescued by trucker, troopers say
- Travis Kelce laughed so hard at a 'Taylor Swift put Travis on the map' Halloween costume
- Delta says pilot accused of threatening to shoot the captain no longer works for the airline
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Blinken will enter diplomatic maelstrom over Gaza war on new Mideast trip
- Pope Francis says he’ll spend 3 days in Dubai for COP28 climate conference
- The mayors of five big cities seek a meeting with Biden about how to better manage arriving migrants
Recommendation
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Chase Young trade is latest blockbuster pulled off by 49ers' John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan
Nippon Steel drops patent lawsuit against Toyota in name of partnership
Firefighters battling to contain Southern California wildfire though many homes remain threatened
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Louisiana was open to Cancer Alley concessions. Then EPA dropped its investigation
Judge clears way for Massachusetts to begin capping number of migrant families offered shelter
Biden calls for humanitarian ‘pause’ in Israel-Hamas war