Current:Home > reviewsKevin Spacey acquitted of all 9 sexual assault charges by jury in UK trial -VisionFunds
Kevin Spacey acquitted of all 9 sexual assault charges by jury in UK trial
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 13:32:20
A London jury acquitted Kevin Spacey of sexual assault charges Wednesday.
The "House of Cards" actor, 64, was cleared at the conclusion of a four-week long trial that took place in London, beginning June 28. The Academy Award-winner, whose stellar acting career was derailed by sex assault allegations, was accused of sexual offenses against four men in Britain.
Tears rolled down Spacey’s cheeks as the final “not guilty” verdict was read. It was his 64th birthday.
There were nine charges against Spacey, who pleaded not guilty to all, including multiple counts of sexual and indecent assault and one count of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent. He had faced 13 charges until July 19, when the judge removed four counts that duplicated the same allegations under an older statute.
Three men accused the actor of aggressively grabbing their crotches. A fourth, an aspiring actor seeking mentorship, said he awoke to the actor performing oral sex on him after going to Spacey’s London apartment for a beer and either falling asleep or passing out.
The accusations date from 2001 to 2013 and include a period when Spacey — after winning Academy Awards for "The Usual Suspects" and "American Beauty" — had returned to theater, his first love. During most of that period he was artistic director of the Old Vic Theatre in London.
Kevin Spacey UK sexual assault trial:Actor's charges, case explained
During the trial, the actor said he was a "big flirt" who had consensual flings with men and whose only misstep was touching a man’s groin while making a "clumsy pass."
Spacey choked up and became teary eyed in the witness box as he described the emotional and financial turmoil that the U.S. accusations brought and the barrage of criticism that followed on social media.
"My world exploded," Spacey testified. "There was a rush to judgment and before the first question was asked or answered I lost my job, I lost my reputation, I lost everything in a matter of days."
A New York jury last year swiftly cleared Spacey in a $40 million lawsuit by "Star Trek: Discovery" actor Anthony Rapp on allegations dating back three decades.
Spacey had viewed the London case as a chance for redemption, telling German magazine Zeit last month that there were "people right now who are ready to hire me the moment I am cleared of these charges in London."
Contributing: USA TODAY staff, The Associated Press
veryGood! (582)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Inflation cools again ahead of the Federal Reserve's final interest rate decision in 2023
- Can you gift a stock? How to buy and give shares properly
- US proposes replacing engine-housing parts on Boeing jets like one involved in passenger’s death
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- London Christmas carol event goes viral on TikTok, gets canceled after 7,000 people show up
- Wu-Tang Clan announces first Las Vegas residency in 2024: See the dates
- USWNT received greatest amount of online abuse during 2023 World Cup, per FIFA report
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- We Went to the First EV Charging Station Funded by the Federal Infrastructure Law
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Amid outcry over Gaza tactics, videos of soldiers acting maliciously create new headache for Israel
- Cyclone Jasper is expected to intensify before becoming the first of the season to hit Australia
- Trump's defense concludes its case in New York fraud trial
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Auto union boss urges New Jersey lawmakers to pass casino smoking ban
- FBI to exhume woman’s body from unsolved 1969 killing in Netflix’s ‘The Keepers’
- Turkish soccer league suspends all games after team boss Faruk Koca punches referee in the face
Recommendation
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Vikings bench Joshua Dobbs, turn to Nick Mullens as fourth different starting QB this season
New, stronger climate proposal released at COP28, but doesn’t quite call for fossil fuel phase-out
In Giuliani defamation trial, election worker testifies, I'm most scared of my son finding me or my mom hanging in front of our house
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Football player Matt Araiza dropped from woman’s rape lawsuit and won’t sue for defamation
Krispy Kreme’s 'Day of the Dozens' doughnut deal is here: How to get a $1 box
How the presidents of Harvard, Penn and MIT testified to Congress on antisemitism