Current:Home > MarketsAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Man sues NYC after he spent 27 years in prison, then was cleared in subway token clerk killing -VisionFunds
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Man sues NYC after he spent 27 years in prison, then was cleared in subway token clerk killing
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 13:35:49
NEW YORK (AP) — A man who was recently cleared in the gruesome,Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center fiery 1995 killing of a subway token booth clerk sued New York City and two detectives on Monday, saying that “a wanton and reckless” law enforcement culture subjected him to decades of wrongful imprisonment that left grave psychological damage.
Thomas Malik, who is seeking at least $50 million, is one of three men who spent decades in prison before prosecutors last year disavowed all three convictions in the death of Harry Kaufman.
“Malik seeks redress for the official misconduct that caused him to spend nearly 27 years in prison, and the mental and physical injuries he sustained while incarcerated,” lawyers Ronald Kuby and Rhidaya Trivedi wrote in the lawsuit.
The city Law Department said it would review Malik’s suit. His former co-defendants, Vincent Ellerbe and James Irons, also have sought compensation.
Kaufman, 50, was set ablaze during an attempted robbery as he worked an overnight shift in a Brooklyn subway station on Nov. 26, 1995. His attackers squirted gasoline into the tollbooth coin slot and ignited the fuel with matches.
The horrific killing became a national political talking point. Then-Senate Majority Leader and Republican presidential hopeful Bob Dole called for a boycott of the the movie “Money Train,” which had been released days before the attack and included a scene that bore some similarity.
The Brooklyn District Attorney’s office concluded last year that the convictions of Malik, Irons and Ellerbe were built on false and contradictory confessions — the men have long said they were coerced — and other flawed evidence.
Malik was identified in a lineup with problematic procedures and a witness who earlier had insistently identified a different suspect, whom police eliminated, prosecutors said in a report last year. Malik also was implicated by a jail informant who later was found to be so prone to falsehoods that a court barred the man from ever serving as an informant again.
Former detectives Stephen Chmil and Louis Scarcella played major roles in the investigation, with Chmil as lead detective and Scarcella obtaining Malik’s confession, among other evidence.
In recent years, the now-retired partners have repeatedly been accused of having forced confessions and framed suspects. More than a dozen convictions in Scarcella’s cases have been overturned, though prosecutors have stood by scores of others.
The former detectives deny any wrongdoing. Their lawyer declined to comment on Malik’s lawsuit, which names them as defendants, alongside the city.
The suit argues that a “wanton and reckless culture” among police and Brooklyn prosecutors at the time let them violate citizens’ rights with impunity, with a heavy price for Malik.
The notoriety of his case made him a target for abuse and assaults in prison, where he arrived at 18, his lawsuit said.
Malik is now free, 46, married and living out of state. But prison left him so psychologically scarred that he can barely leave his home, and simply putting on a seatbelt reminds him of being shackled and triggers post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms, the lawsuit said.
Ellerbe settled with the city comptroller for an undisclosed sum, said Kuby, who also represented him. Irons is pursuing a federal lawsuit and has filed a case with the state Court of Claims, said his attorney, David Shanies.
veryGood! (98248)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Nevada, northern California brace for blizzard, 'life-threatening' conditions
- In Georgia, a bill to cut all ties with the American Library Association is advancing
- More than 100,000 mouthwash bottles recalled for increased risk of poisoning children
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Report from National Urban League finds continued economic disparities among Black Americans
- Toyota recalls 381,000 Tacoma trucks in the U.S. over potential rear-axle shaft defect
- New Jersey businessman pleads guilty and agrees to cooperate in case against Sen. Bob Menendez
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Does Lionel Messi speak English? Inter Miami teammate shares funny Messi story on podcast
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Rapper Danny Brown talks Adderall and pickleball
- For an Indigenous woman, discovering an ancestor's remains mixed both trauma and healing
- Kourtney Kardashian's Postpartum Fashion Hack Will Get You Ready in 5 Seconds
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Ghana's parliament passes strict new anti-LGBTQ legislation to extend sentences and expand scope
- 2024 NFL scouting combine Saturday: Watch quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers
- You'll Want to Check Out Justin Bieber's New Wax Figure More Than One Time
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Queen Camilla Taking a Break From Royal Duties After Filling in for King Charles III
Hailey Bieber's Sister Alaia Baldwin Aronow Arrested for Assault and Battery
Kate Winslet's 'The Regime' is dictators gone wild. Sometimes it's funny.
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Cam Newton apologizes for fight at Georgia youth football camp: 'There's no excuse'
Menendez brothers await a decision they hope will free them
Ghana's parliament passes strict new anti-LGBTQ legislation to extend sentences and expand scope