Current:Home > reviewsThe bodies of an Australian couple killed by a police officer who was an ex-lover have been found -VisionFunds
The bodies of an Australian couple killed by a police officer who was an ex-lover have been found
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 14:42:07
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Australian police on Tuesday found the bodies of a couple hours after the jilted police officer lover who allegedly shot them dead told investigators where to look, officials said, hidden under rocks and debris on a rural property.
The remains of former television reporter Jesse Baird, 26, and his flight attendant partner Luke Davies, 29, were found in the same surfboard bags that police allege the killer used to carry the bodies from Baird’s Sydney home last week, New South Wales Police Force Detective Superintendent Daniel Doherty said.
The bodies were found at a property near Bungonia, a town 200 kilometers (124 miles) southwest of Sydney, only 20 minutes drive from another property where police divers had spent days scouring waterways.
The breakthrough came when the suspect spoke to detectives on Tuesday and told them where to look.
Police arrested Senior-Constable Beau Lamarre-Condon, who dated Baird until late last year, on Friday and charged him with murdering the couple, but he had previously refused to answer police questions.
Police suspect Lamarre-Condon first dumped the bodies on Wednesday at the property that officers later searched. But fearing that a traveling companion might reveal where they went, he returned alone on Thursday to move the bodies. Police say the acquaintance, who has not been named, was unaware they were transporting bodies and was not an accomplice.
Detective Sergeant Sasha Pinazza, who is in charge of the investigation, said the search ended Monday without finding any clue to the bodies’ location.
“I am exhausted. I barely have eaten or slept. We went home last night extremely deflated, but it’s not in our nature to give up,” Pinazza told reporters.
“So we rallied again this morning and have come upon a wonderful result for the families,” she added.
The allegation that a police officer committed a murder using his service pistol has shocked the nation and prompted Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras organizers to ask police late on Monday not to march at their annual parade this weekend.
Handgun ownership is highly restricted in Australia. Police are reviewing the gun handling procedures that enabled Lamarre-Condon to sign out his pistol to allegedly use in a violent crime while off duty.
“We’re in this position that a police firearm was used and that can never happen again,” Police Commissioner Karen Webb said. “We have to look to ways to mitigate that risk in whatever way we can.”
Webb, who has taken part in the annual march in 2006, met with the Mardi Gras board on Tuesday to urge them to reconsider.
She later described the meeting as “fruitful” and “very respectful,” but police remained excluded from the parade on Saturday.
“There’s some positives that could come out of participating in Mardi Gras on Saturday, but it’s early days and we’ve got a few days left to work through this,” Webb said.
The Mardi Gras’ board said LGBTQ communities across Australia had been devastated by the loss of the couple, who had planned to celebrate at the parade.
“The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Board feels that having the NSW Police march this year could add to the distress within our communities, already deeply affected by recent events. The Board has taken the decision to request that the Police do not march in the 2024 Parade,” the board said in a statement.
“This decision was not made lightly, especially considering that many NSW Police members who participate in the Parade are also members of the LGBTQIA+ community and are navigating the impact of this tragedy alongside us. However, we believe that their participation at this year’s event could intensify the current feelings of sorrow and distress,” the board added.
State opposition lawmaker Jacqui Munro said the state government should withdraw funding from the event, which is a major tourist draw, over the exclusion of police.
State Premier Chris Minns said he hoped police would be allowed to march, but ruled out withdrawing government funding.
Other floats would have boycotted the parade if police were allowed to march due to grief and extreme anger in the community, a Queer rights activist said
The Mardi Gras began in 1978 as a Sydney street protest against homosexual discrimination that was violently broken up by police. Uniformed police officers have been marching since 1998 as a gesture of respect and support.
Sydney-born Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said relations between police and the LGBTQ community had come a long way since 1978.
“I think it’s been very good that the police have marched,” Albanese said.
“The relationships have been turned around and have been positive, but I understand that the Queer community in Sydney, in particular, are grieving what is an enormous tragedy,” he added.
veryGood! (2739)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Deadly clashes between rival militias in Libya leave 27 dead, authorities say
- Stevie Nicks praises 'Daisy Jones & the Six' portrayal, wishes Christine McVie 'could have seen it'
- Families of migrants killed in detention center fire to receive $8 million each, government says
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Ex-West Virginia coach Bob Huggins enters diversion program after drunken driving arrest
- Maui wildfire survivors say they had to fend for themselves in days after blaze: We ran out of everything
- Bacteria found in raw shellfish linked to two Connecticut deaths also blamed for New York death
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Britney Spears and Sam Asghari Break Up After One Year of Marriage
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Meryl Streep, Oprah, Michael B. Jordan to be honored at Academy Museum's 2023 gala
- Teen Mom Star Jenelle Evans’ Son Jace Found After Running Away
- Tesla's new Model X and S standard range electric cars are cheaper, but with 1 big caveat
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Russian shelling in Ukraine's Kherson region kills 7, including 23-day-old baby
- 'It's aggressive': Gas stations in Indiana town to close overnight due to rise in crimes
- Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey to be sidelined by foot surgery
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Beat the Heat and Maximize Your Fun With Chloe Fineman’s Summer Essentials
Michigan State University plans to sell alcohol at four home football games
The Chrysler 300 roars into the great car history books after a final Dream Cruise
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
'It's aggressive': Gas stations in Indiana town to close overnight due to rise in crimes
Amid controversy, Michael Oher of 'The Blind Side' fame attends book signing in Mississippi
Horoscopes Today, August 15, 2023