Current:Home > InvestDiddy seeks to have producer’s lawsuit tossed, says it’s full of ‘blatant falsehoods’ -VisionFunds
Diddy seeks to have producer’s lawsuit tossed, says it’s full of ‘blatant falsehoods’
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 13:24:11
Sean “Diddy” Combs asked a federal judge Monday to throw out a lawsuit from a music producer who accused the music mogul of a broad pattern of sexual abuse and other misconduct.
The lawsuit filed in February by Rodney “Lil Rod” Jones — one of many filed against Combs in the past year — is overrun with “tall tales,” “lurid theatrics,” “legally meaningless allegations” and “blatant falsehoods” whose intent is only to “generate media hype and exploit it to extract a settlement,” according to the motion to dismiss filed in federal court in New York.
The case fails to establish that Jones has standing to sue, does not include essential details including times and places of the incidents described and “fails to make a single viable claim,” according to the motion.
Several lawsuits alleging sexual and other abuse against Combs had already been filed when Jones sued in February, but the circumstances surrounding the hip-hop star have grown more dire since.
In March, simultaneous raids on Combs’ homes in Florida and California led to the revelation that he was the subject of a federal criminal sex trafficking investigation that is ongoing.
And in May, CNN aired 2016 hotel security video that showed him punching, kicking and dragging the R& B singer Cassie, who was his protege and longtime girlfriend at the time. The incident closely matched a description in a lawsuit she filed in November that was settled the following day but set off intense scrutiny of Combs.
A few days after the video’s airing, Combs posted an apology video on social media saying he was “truly sorry” and his actions were “inexcusable.”
Jones’ sprawling lawsuit, which also names Combs’ son and several of his business associates as defendants, describes a year he spent in the music mogul’s life in Los Angeles and Miami in the process of producing an album in 2022 and 2023.
Jones says he witnessed — and in many cases captured on audio — hundreds of hours of illegal drug and sexual activity by Combs and the people surrounding him. Combs’ Monday motion says it is “replete with farfetched tales of misconduct” but “contains very few allegations relating to Jones other than an allegation that Combs failed to pay the producer for his work.”
The suit is an attempt to turn that commercial dispute into a broad criminal conspiracy run by Combs, without providing evidence of any significance, Combs’ filing says.
Jones also alleges that Combs tried to groom him for sex, groped him, made him solicit prostitutes and pressured him to have sex with them.
But the motion from Combs’ lawyers says “Jones fails to plead the most basic facts, such as where and when any purported instance of assault occurred or what allegedly transpired,” and fails to provide evidence that Jones was coerced in a way that would make him a victim.
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they have been sexually abused unless they come forward publicly as Jones and Cassie have done.
Other than what was captured on the hotel security video with Cassie, Combs has broadly denied the allegations in the lawsuits against him.
“Let me absolutely clear. I did not do any of the awful things being alleged,” he said in a post in December.
veryGood! (559)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- A Guide to Father of 7 Robert De Niro's Sprawling Family Tree
- Mary-Kate Olsen Is Ready for a Holiday in the Sun During Rare Public Outing
- Scientists Call for End to Coal Leasing on Public Lands
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- The Bombshell Vanderpump Rules Reunion Finally Has a Premiere Date
- Summers Are Getting Hotter Faster, Especially in North America’s Farm Belt
- See pictures from Trump indictment that allegedly show boxes of classified documents in Mar-a-Lago bathroom, ballroom
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- A cell biologist shares the wonder of researching life's most fundamental form
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Letters offer a rare look at the thoughts of The Dexter Killer: It's what it is and I'm what I am.
- Sir Karl Jenkins Reacts to Coronation Conspiracy Suggesting He's Meghan Markle in Disguise
- 5 strategies to help you cope with a nagging feeling of dread
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Thousands of toddler sippy cups and bottles are recalled over lead poisoning risk
- Mary-Kate Olsen Is Ready for a Holiday in the Sun During Rare Public Outing
- 'Sunny Makes Money': India installs a record volume of solar power in 2022
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Juul settles more than 5,000 lawsuits over its vaping products
Apply for ICN’s Environmental Reporting Training for Southeast Journalists. It’s Free!
The Paris Climate Problem: A Dangerous Lack of Urgency
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
‘This Was Preventable’: Football Heat Deaths and the Rising Temperature
Twitter will no longer enforce its COVID misinformation policy
Historian on Trump indictment: Our system is working … Nobody is above the law